Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How loud is PSE

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 02:25 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How loud is PSE

Eagerly awaiting arrival of my Cayman S Cabriolet, which has the PSE. Wondering if there are sound issues on tracks that have tight DB limits?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:02 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Tough to say since it's new and nobody has heard it yet. We measured sound levels off a spyder and a PSE equipped caymanR once, and they both measured the same at 88dB. I heard a 991S with PSE last weekend it was pretty loud. Loud enough where it might be a problem with a 92dB limit like Laguna Seca... My remus equipped spyder doesnt have any problems passing sound at Laguna
Old 08-21-2012, 04:20 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cayman S Cab?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:12 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
Cayman S Cab?
lol he means Boxster S, of course. OP, no need for such "apology"... we're not on P-9 or CR (Boxsters are welcome on both, I might add).
Old 08-21-2012, 07:21 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Oh yeah (duh..), hard to say for sure about PSE and dB. Multiple stories of stock Caymans getting black flagged at Laguna Seca - Spec Cayman racer as well as someone on CR describing multiple cases of stock Caymans (including him). I'm like, wth?? But they're stock!!

My guess is you'll be OK with PSE (since I personally don't think it's that loud), but it's just a guess. What's really strange is that people have been passing with Borla at LRP (Lime Rock).. and they have a tight dB level too. That (Borla) is why some people have invited me to LRP. I declined because it's highly doubtful I'll pass with my Fabspeed Race exhaust.

I find racetrack dB levels to be EXTREMELY idiotic (unless it's a new track), but that's whole another topic...

Last edited by the_vetman; 08-21-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:23 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 939 Likes on 441 Posts

I ordered mine with it, when I did the test drive at first I couldn't tell if it was on. It's more subtle than my 997S was with PSE, but seemed to get louder when you pressed the gas. The best part was the crackle when you let off the gas which sounded slightly muffled compared to the youtube videos I've seen, but nice anyway. Doubt it's loud enough to cause a problem on the street or track.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:43 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I had an 08 Boxster S with PSE and it's not that loud. I doubt you will be getting pulled over for a noisy exhaust.. Congrats and good luck with the new car
Old 08-21-2012, 08:07 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Oh yeah (duh..), hard to say for sure about PSE and dB. Multiple stories of stock Caymans getting black flagged at Laguna Seca - Spec Cayman racer as well as someone on CR describing multiple cases of stock Caymans (including him). I'm like, wth?? But they're stock!!

My guess is you'll be OK with PSE (since I personally don't think it's that loud), but it's just a guess. What's really strange is that people have been passing with Borla at LRP (Lime Rock).. and they have a tight dB level too. That (Borla) is why some people have invited me to LRP. I declined because it's highly doubtful I'll pass with my Fabspeed Race exhaust.

I find racetrack dB levels to be EXTREMELY idiotic (unless it's a new track), but that's whole another topic...
We need to keep in mind when making comparisons that a 987.1 needs to be distinguished from a 987.2. For some reason the DFI engines are much more quiet. Stock GT3s won't pass Laguna. 981 PSE will likely be ok, if I had to guess. I gotta say, though, that 991S PSE was pretty loud....

Vet, did you find your spyder yet?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:37 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by orthojoe
We need to keep in mind when making comparisons that a 987.1 needs to be distinguished from a 987.2. For some reason the DFI engines are much more quiet. Stock GT3s won't pass Laguna. 981 PSE will likely be ok, if I had to guess. I gotta say, though, that 991S PSE was pretty loud....

Good point about 987.2. All the Caymans that failed were 987.1. It's interesting about GT3's... guess they get turn-pipes then? If I lived in Cali, there ain't no way in hell I'm staying out of LS!!

Oh yeah, I've found a Spyder. Put that deposit down a while back (well over a month ago.. you may or may not recall) and going to pick it up on Friday night. There's been a bunch of things like PPI, waiting for funds to transfer from my savings to checking, sending a check (much larger deposit), waiting for the title from the bank, etc.

Owner got the title last week but I haven't had the time to go pick it up. I actually didn't really mind the looong wait because I've been pretty busy with work and multiple DE's in-between (no time to track-mod the Spyder). I've recently ordered a whole bunch of stuff online and the only thing I still need are RSS LCA's (waiting) and new inlet pipes from Fabspeed (will probably take there for installation).

Going to NJMP tomorrow and Thursday, then unfortunately no DE's until mid-October. Couldn't fit more in due to my schedule... but it did make for a perfect time to mod the Spyder!

Old 08-21-2012, 10:58 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I thought you'd mentioned getting the car, but it's been sooo long. Be sure to start a thread when you get the car.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:10 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

We need to keep in mind when making comparisons that a 987.1 needs to be distinguished from a 987.2. For some reason the DFI engines are much more quiet

Yep, I noticed the same thing with a 997.2. I took a coupe for a test drive last June. There was lots to like about the car, but one of them was not the exhaust sound. With the windows up, I thought that I was driving a Lexus. That's not exactly what I was looking for in a sports car.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:14 AM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman

Originally Posted by orthojoe

Good point Joe, did a test a while ago with a decibel meter, a Borla equipped 987.1 was louder than a 987.2 with a Fabspeed Race.

Quick Reply: How loud is PSE