Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S hight speed corner stability issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by efs
I´ll measure and post here. I ´m thinking seriously to replace also the front tires but when i read that review on EVO (online) long term test (check 3rd paragraph)

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evol...boxster_s.html
Yeah see what the Date codes are on the front tires & how many miles on the car. Also check the tire sidewalls especially close to the wheel for cracks in the rubber from age & sun. It's possible you have the original tires on the front & most tires age harden in 5 years & should be replaced under CPO.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:52 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm thinking OP tried it on the Autobahn (or the track).

I've never felt stability issues in my 2008 Boxster S at over 100 mph with PSM on - both on the track and highways (latter is definitely NOT recommended unless there's no speed limit ). And I have mismatched tires (rears worn much more and somewhat different wear from side-to-side).

As far as steering feel compared to M3's, could it be the different steering in BMW/M3 vs. Porsche/Boxster S? And do you know if your rear spoiler is deploying as it should? It probably is, but you can double-check by either running it on a dyno or have someone follow you on the highway and go above 75 mph.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:38 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

I have tracked a variety of cars over the past 30 years, and some did not feel stable to me at high speeds when cornering. The Boxster S certainly does not fit that category. To the contrary the Boxster S is one of the most stable cars that I have driven. Actually the only car that scared the hell out of me was a Corvette Z06 which I drove about 8 years ago. That car had lots of qualities, but handling security was not one of them: one second I'd be in complete control and the next I'd be doing my best to prevent doing a 180.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:29 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
And do you know if your rear spoiler is deploying as it should? It probably is, but you can double-check by either running it on a dyno or have someone follow you on the highway and go above 75 mph.
This is actually a really good suggestion. Unlikely, but still a very good thing to check. One way to see your rear spoiler is, with your top down and over 75 MPH, raise your arm up, and snap a picture/video with your cell phone. Just don't let go!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:40 PM
efs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
This is actually a really good suggestion. Unlikely, but still a very good thing to check. One way to see your rear spoiler is, with your top down and over 75 MPH, raise your arm up, and snap a picture/video with your cell phone. Just don't let go!
The spoiler it´s working fine!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:42 PM
efs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Yeah see what the Date codes are on the front tires & how many miles on the car. Also check the tire sidewalls especially close to the wheel for cracks in the rubber from age & sun. It's possible you have the original tires on the front & most tires age harden in 5 years & should be replaced under CPO.
Front Tires are in good condition. any comments regarding the EVO review?
Seems that the guy felt something similar...
Old 07-13-2012, 08:44 PM
efs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Front tires have 2 year and are in god condition. I felt like the PSM went ON during the corner...it was scary...
Old 07-13-2012, 10:38 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by efs
Send an email to Pete Stout of Excellence magazine. He'll give you an educated analysis of the Boxster S handling capabilities. He's forgotten more than most sports car magazine writers ever knew about Porsches.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Tire pressures should be around 36 lbs hot. Stock pressures on track will be unstable.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:18 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by efs
Define "good"????

They can have 5-6/32's......and be 5-6 years old......look good & pretty........but be as hard as hockey pucks.

YOU NEED THE DOT CODE DATES!!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:39 PM
efs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Define "good"????

They can have 5-6/32's......and be 5-6 years old......look good & pretty........but be as hard as hockey pucks.

YOU NEED THE DOT CODE DATES!!!!
Tires are DOT 6U 89 KRM 2508

Seems that they are 4 years old....
Old 07-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Schmidts Cat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the fronts are old and hard, and the rears are new and soft, The car will "Push" (understeer) in that kind of sweeper, and could trigger PSM.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:20 AM
efs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
If the fronts are old and hard, and the rears are new and soft, The car will "Push" (understeer) in that kind of sweeper, and could trigger PSM.
Another information, yerteday i was testing...and i feel this behavior mainly on left long corners.....
Old 07-15-2012, 08:29 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

front end can get floaty on mid and rear engine cars. with over 60% of weigh on the rear wheels, it's common.

put a 15lb bag of kitty litter or rice into the front trunk. you'll feel the car is more planted. or better yet, lower that suspension by an inch or so.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:41 AM
efs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djantlive
front end can get floaty on mid and rear engine cars. with over 60% of weigh on the rear wheels, it's common.

put a 15lb bag of kitty litter or rice into the front trunk. you'll feel the car is more planted. or better yet, lower that suspension by an inch or so.
Thanks for the suggestion
I´ll first change the front tires. Tomorrow, i´ll have them fitted ..

Quick Reply: Boxster S hight speed corner stability issues.