Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which direction is the "right one" for you

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 06:45 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Steve, thank you for your response. This is an often repeated statment (and I am well aware of it): " I have driven many modern Porsches and believe me: The Boxster Spyder is one of the best". So I need no validation for my quest for a Boxster spyder. Something tells me that I will get one soon. Need to work on editing my current stable of cars first.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:09 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

so, truly a dilemma, what to edit?

Cayenne does not equate to a Spyder, different cars, different needs, so scratch that off the list
older Carreras are keepers, so scatch the 86 off the list

09 Carrera? versus a Spyder?

tough choices

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Need to work on editing my current stable of cars first.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

The Spyder is great, but just a word of warning...don't expect a driving experience as pure and soulful as your 3.2 Carrera...it is a thoroughly modern car, for better and for worse.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:39 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Alan appreciate your word of advice. Given this a lot of thought these past few days. The '86 stays as I even if I wait a decade I may never find a 3.2 liter engine w/ 915 gearbox in that fettle .. The track focused '76 stays.. The Cayenne being the family hauler stays .. I don't need to give you anymore clues as to which one you'll see in the for sale section at RL soon. I wish that lucky person eho gets my water pumper is a RL'er. My friends here know how I drive and care for my Porsches.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 06-13-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove a Spyder last year and absolutely fell in love with it. Get one wherever you can, I say!
Old 06-13-2012, 02:25 AM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I had an '09 997.2S for two years and sold it prior to acquiring the Spyder.

Don't miss it (anymore) and I don't anywhere near the other driving options that you have.

Alan appreciate your word of advice. Given this a lot of thought these past few days. The '86 stays as I even if I wait a decade I may never find a 3.2 liter engine w/ 915 gearbox in that fettle .. The track focused '76 stays.. The Cayenne being the family hauler stays .. I don't need to give you anymore clues as to which one you'll see in the for sale section at RL soon. I wish that lucky person eho gets my water pumper is a RL'er. My friends here know how I drive and care for my Porsches.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:32 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread is reminded me of the first time that I sat in my dad's new Cayenne. I counted 106 buttons, ***** or controls that the driver has access to. I was thinking are you freaking kidding me...I have been on planes with less. The new Boxster is not far behind. It made me appreciate my Spyder even more. I will never buy another new Porsche....only the older more simpler ones!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:36 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

I went through the same thing last fall. There was no question that the '83 Sc was a keeper. The Cayenne is necessary to pull the trailer and when we have friends going with us. More about the '11 Cayenne S in a minute.

The Cayman is set up for autocross and light tracking. That came down to the '09 C2S and in the end it went for the Spyder and I did not look back. Well yesterday the local dealer took my '09 S2S back in trade as its owner bought a 991. Well I drove my old C2S and was almost ready to trade the Cayman but coming to my senses on the way home I realized that both the Cayman and the Spyder are much more true sports cars and more fun. The newer 911's (997 and 991) are more Gt carrs i.e. larger and softer but powerful. So back to the Cayenne or as I call it my C2S that seeks 5, will tow the world and is very nimble and fast.

That was and still is my decision. The SC will stay until I can no longer push a clutch and the rest of the corral is equally set.

I was fortunate to have dinner with a key executive from Porsche NA some months ago and the last thing he told me was KEEP your SPYDER, we aren't making any more and it is a modern classic. I think I will follow that advice. Besides for two mature adults ( that translates to old people) my wife and I find the sport bucket seats to be the most comfortable of all the Porsche seats.

If you get a chance and really enjoy Porsche sports cars as Dr. Porsche intended GET A SPYDER if you can
Old 06-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I was fortunate to have dinner with a key executive from Porsche NA some months ago and the last thing he told me was KEEP your SPYDER, we aren't making any more and it is a modern classic.

If you get a chance and really enjoy Porsche sports cars as Dr. Porsche intended GET A SPYDER if you can
Interesting comment from the Porsche executive. When they say they won't be building another Spyder do they mean that it won't be as "special" as the 987 or are they not going to build another at all? Any additional insight or comments on this?

I personally have a hard time believing anything that Porsche says anymore based upon my buying experience.

It will definitely be interesting to see which way they go.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

I believe the Boxster Spyder and Cayman R are the best of the breed. I had a Spyder and only traded it as I wanted a roof. I love the Cayman R. For me it's about as close to perfect as a car can be. I also agree - the sport bucket seats are the most comfortable in the line-up.

I have had other P-cars come and go, including a 997.1 TT, 997.2 C2S, 997.2 C4S cab, 997.1 GT3, and a 997.2 GT3RS. And I still have the Cayman R. That's my answer.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:21 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Interesting comment from the Porsche executive. When they say they won't be building another Spyder do they mean that it won't be as "special" as the 987 or are they not going to build another at all? Any additional insight or comments on this?

I personally have a hard time believing anything that Porsche says anymore based upon my buying experience.

It will definitely be interesting to see which way they go.
I'm sure somewhere down the road if there is a market and government rules permit it there may be another Porsche named the Spyder, BUT the way things are going it will be larger, more electronic and most likely less sporting than the current Spyder. So the current one is a car to enjoy and keep if that's your liking
Old 06-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I'm sure somewhere down the road if there is a market and government rules permit it there may be another Porsche named the Spyder, BUT the way things are going it will be larger, more electronic and most likely less sporting than the current Spyder. So the current one is a car to enjoy and keep if that's your liking
That makes sense and that was what I and I think most Spyder owners expected. I wonder if they will go to the extent of offering a lightweight manual top or if they will limit the modifications to suspension, sport buckets, lightweight wheels, locking diff and minor cosmetic changes.

I have no intentions of selling my Spyder unless someone offered some ridiculously high price (and I mean ridiculous! ). Even then I would have to question if it makes sense to sell since I can't think of what I would replace it with.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:45 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Afshin, I am working on perfecting the recipe for chicken tikka masala. Last thing I want Ed to so is read your last post. Shhh ...
The C4S BTW is leaving my garage to hopefully make way for a very special car.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:23 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This topic has become the most heated on sport cars forums, be it Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Lambo etc. The newer cars tend to be faster, easier to drive, more comfortable and at least in the case of porsche, lighter. i really believe if someone wants a very raw driving experience, you have to go to eariler models. With the Spyder, Porsche developed a newer sports car with a very visceral feel. But I do have to say that after having owned many sports cars, including a Ferrari 335 spider, 360 spider, Porsche 964 cab, a 987 Box S, 997S cab and multiple vettes, the 991S cab I drove was a hoot to drive. My cousin who has owned multiple Porsches and Ferraris in the past told me his certainly delivered 458 is the most amazing car he has ever driven. I do think the Spyder really hit a nerve but taking a great mid engine car and really making even better and better looking.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:30 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

F4plt: "I was fortunate to have dinner with a key executive from Porsche NA some months ago and the last thing he told me was KEEP your SPYDER, we aren't making any more and it is a modern classic"

Modern classic for sure IMO too. The whole body style is totally different and I don't get that special feel when I look at the Cayman R.

Ed, loves the chicken butter masala that I shipped to CO a few days back. I may get lucky after all ..

Quick Reply: Which direction is the "right one" for you