Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any factory incentives/ money back yet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Any factory incentives/ money back yet?

Looking at remaining 987's out there, any money back from Porsche to dealer this month?
Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
Looking at remaining 987's out there, any money back from Porsche to dealer this month?
I've not heard of any. A bit premature, a bit early I think. Wait until the 2013 models arrive at the dealers. Couple of more months at least for the Boxsters.

When the new 2013 models arrive at the dealers this makes the 2012 models one year old and my info is factories offer incentives to dealers. Well, not really incentives, but money back a rebate of a percentage of the car's cost (the dealer's cost) to compensate the dealer for flooring costs.

Of course there is an incentive (no pun) for the dealer to keep this money to itself. Porsche doesn't care if this happens. Porsche wants dealers to sell cars.

So, a dealer even if it has oodles of last year's models will not just throw down the factory money to sweeten the deal to get you to buy last year's model.

(OTOH..., in very early April 2009 I bought a new 08 Cayman S for $12K off of sticker. Listed for $62.6K and I bought it for $50.6K. This was an advertised price, too. No need to negotiate. i was happy. The negotiation was for the trade in allowance for my 06 GTO. The dealer even bumped this up by some amount over what the various web sites had for the car's trade in allowance. That was probably some more of that factory to dealer incentive money working. I don't expect the same discounts this year. (I wish!) In case you were not aware of the market then let me point out there was a huge oversupply of Porsches then. Many (all I visited and I visited 3 or 4 out of the 7 in the area) dealers in the bay area had fire sale prices on these cars and Boxsters (base Boxsters under $40K), along with other models of cars. For instance I remember new 911 Cabs were discounted $30K.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks - I checked the usual auto sites but could not find any incentives. Need some insider info.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I haven't checked lately, is there a large inventory of new 987 Boxsters and Caymans available?
Old 06-02-2012, 10:37 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Not around here. The dealers haven't had ANY 987s in stock for months.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Not around here. The dealers haven't had ANY 987s in stock for months.
Inventory will have an impact on the overall discounts available. I know that most dealers will discount on the East Coast but I rarely see anyone of them offering big discounts or incentives on 987's.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I haven't checked lately, is there a large inventory of new 987 Boxsters and Caymans available?
Good question.

I haven't bothered to keep close tabs on a Cayman inventory but my superficial following of this -- whenever I visit a dealer I take 'mental inventory' and talk the staff to get a feel for sales numbers -- is there aren't that many cars to choose from.

Porsche appears to have learned its lesson from that 08 era and cut back on production.

At one point -- I can't recall the time line but recently (within the last couple of months maybe back as many as 6 months) dealers in my area were scrambling to find used Caymans to have on the lot. There were no new ones and because volume was down few lease returns were coming in.

(I had my eye on a nice 07/08 (I can't recall the year now) white Cayman that was a trade in -- owned by a young woman -- and a day or two later when I went to check on the car I found out it had been sold even before it had gone through CPO. The dealer posted the car for sale thinking it would not get any calls from buyers for a few days and surprise surprise surprise someone called the day the ad appeared and bought the car shortly thereafter.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Riz
Thanks - I checked the usual auto sites but could not find any incentives. Need some insider info.
Insider info hard to come by. But if you can get it use it.

What I do is when I'm getting ready I track the inventory of various dealers (about all of them) to see how many cars are being offered in the span of MYs I'm interested in) and the prices and so on.

I try to get an idea of how many days of inventory there is. The more days of cars supply available the slower the cars are moving.

I also keep tabs on prices of the same car in print, on line ads, and if the dealer is convenient the price of the car at the dealer.

I've found that the price can vary sometimes by several thousand dollars for no apparent reason, and even be different at one source compared to another.

'course I remember the lowest prices and use these in my market valuation. By 'remember' I print out the ads and save them and refer to them when I work the numbers trying to come up with some reasonable idea (guess) of what the market is like.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:57 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 221 Posts

Both my friend and I received 9% off MSRP on Cayman R's recently. Not a ton, but still good.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:33 AM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard dealers get new inventory based on how quickly/effective they move the old ones. That is certainly a motivation to sell/move cars off the the lot. No potential buyer wants to go to a dealer to see last year's model. I've heard 8% is slightly above average in terms of discounts. I picked up a brand new 2008 BS in 2009 for 35% off MSRP. Though, I'm sure the 2009 MY updates also helped "depreciate" the sale price of the 2008.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:40 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
With the model change coming midyear, I don't think that Porsche built many 2012 Boxsters. I have seen a few 2011 Boxsters but the Dealers weren't offering significant enough of a discount to interest me. I was looking for discounts below invoice on a car that will be two model years old in a few weeks, but apparently Porsche isn't helping their Dealers yet.

Quick Reply: Any factory incentives/ money back yet?