Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A teaser of tomorrow...pics included!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 02:03 AM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 63 Posts
Default A teaser of tomorrow...pics included!

Old 04-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

You seriously need to teach me how to take pictures. How do you know how to get the right settings to take shots like these in the dark and still capture the beautiful colors.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Pnug
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pics,
That is some very nice company you're keeping. What event was that?
Old 04-28-2012, 07:16 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
You seriously need to teach me how to take pictures. How do you know how to get the right settings to take shots like these in the dark and still capture the beautiful colors.
I use a DSLR camera and my method is to control ISO ( with the old 35mm is was called film speed) use fast lens so I can have a decent shutter speed and I always shoot in RAW. By shooting in RAW a good software program like Aperture or Lightroom will allow you fine tune photos.

By the way i thought they were great pictures and well composed
Old 04-28-2012, 07:30 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Marine Blue, it's partially some luck most of the time. I rented a couple lenses for this weekend at the North Meets South 356 event in San Luis Obispo. Walking home from dinner I noticed the sky was at that perfect dusk color which I know can come out great in photo's, almost better than the human eye. I also got lucky and found an open spot directly under a nice bright white light in the parking lot. The other key is to keep snapping, since shots are free now with digital. I probably took 100-150 pics from various angles (varying the shutter speed and aperture to get the exposure's right), trying not to get the overhead lights reflection shown on the rear of the car. To make a long story short, I click away and hope I get a few keepers out of the bunch. I also don't do any post processing to any of these images. I know things like Lightroom and Aperture can be great, although I think it is kind of cheating, but I haven't really learned how to use the programs. All the photo's I have posted over the last few years are straight out of the camera. This weekend I am using my trusty Nikon D80 body with my usually Sigma 24-70mm/2.8 lens. I also rented a Nikon 10.5mm/2.8 fisheye which I thought would be fun to experiment with, and a Nikon 14-24mm/2.8 wide angle. More pics to come tonight or tomorrow....
Old 04-29-2012, 01:56 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

I just got back from the Concours at the 356 North-South Meet in San Luis Obispo. This is a nice event I have rarely missed in the past 20+ years. Saw Aaron there with his beautiful Carrara White / Sand Beige Spyder. He will add his always great photography soon, but I wanted to include two photos (see below) & relate a short story.

I stayed with friends in the area (Shell Beach) who owns a Carrera GT, almost identical to the one you will see pictured next to Aaron's car at the 356 event. To a Spyder owner, the looks/design of the GT Carrera has special meaning. I was fortunate yesterday to be driven in my friend's GT on some of the wonderful country roads so abundant in this part of the Central Coast of California! We concentrated our driving in & around the rolling, verdant hills of Arroyo Grande, surrounded by vineyards and other agricultural lands of singular beauty. And the weather was just magical! The raw power of the V10 motor is impressive...but the cabin is noisy & small, the clutch not very smooth and the ride a bit rough. I made me appreciate the value of the Spyder at a fraction of the price of this modern Porsche classic! Nevertheless, it was a great experience and the highlight of a wonderful weekend of wine dinners & car related activities!

Next week, I will be attending the R Gruppe meet in Solvang...in the Spyder!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images   
Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the delay but here are some more pictures from the weekend. What a great day on Friday to drive down HWY 1 and see the beautiful CA coastline. Probably hard to find a much better road for a Spyder to be driven on. Was a great drive down following my parents in their 356 roadster.

Few shots Fri night in the parking lot...having some fun experimenting with the fisheye lens and the super wide angles....

Saturday morning was the concours...

Back at the hotel...

And back on the way home...

Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Tell us more about the Roadster?
Old 04-30-2012, 03:54 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

It's a 1962 twin grill roadster. Only made 248 that year. For those that may not know, the roadster is somewhat like a Speedster but with a few more luxury amenities. My Father has had it for 35 years and just finished restoring it last year. The color is Glasur blue which is a 72 911 color. You can also see a few other personalized touched such as the hand made seats and nose guards...also not seen are the custom handmade exhaust, and fuel cell gas tank.

Quick Reply: A teaser of tomorrow...pics included!