Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me buy my first Cayman.!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 PM
xigris
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me buy my first Cayman.!!!

OK I love the car. Please help me figure out which year to buy. Cayman S is what Im looking at. I dont need all the bells and whistles as this is my first Porsche.

I am thinking about 2009 or newer due to IMS issues? Is this correct as IM not planning on track use so maybe a older model will due?
I am buying used so any additional info about what to look for and how to proceed will be greatly appreciated. I am looking at dealers everywhere and willing to travel to purchase.

Any info about this awesome car would be appreciated. As it pertains to best year in your opinion for the Cayman, miles to keep it under, warranty, inspection type, etc... Also any dealers that are known for selling great Cayman cars.

thank you very much
mike

Last edited by xigris; 02-12-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:46 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just bought an 08 Cayman S. Decide what your budget is. 09's sell for about 50k and 06's sell for about 32k. I test drove both and there is not much difference in power.

I plan on autocrossing mine. I found a low mileage 08 still under factory warranty for 35k, private sale. To me an 09 wasn't worth the extra 15k. Only you can decide if its worth the extra $$$$.

I like to own 3 or 4 cars at the same time so that 15k saved is 15k towards the next car.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Cgland
Intermediate

Oiling issues can be solved rather inexpensively on the Gen I cars with a couple mods. For your first Porsche I would go with an 06-08 S and put that extra money towards a few nice performance mods.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Configur8rs
Track Day

Figure out what your budget is and buy the newest car you can afford. If you can afford it, get one under warranty.

You don't mention what your background/experience is with respect to high performance or sports cars - that would be helpful. Nor do you mention a target price - that helps too. And are you looking for a manual, a tiptronic, or a PDK car?

With that aside, the key decision you have to make is whether you need a Cayman or Cayman S. It's always tempting to want the car with the most power, but have you driven the base Cayman? It's got a lot of juice and it's a blast to drive. The next-most key decision point is the transmission. If you must have a PDK, you're in an '09 or newer car.

You have a tradeoff to make. Assuming a fixed budget or $40k or $45k or $50k, whatever it is, for X amount of dollars you can either get power or newness. I.e. there is a '08 Base Cayman on Autotrader with 10k miles for under $30,000. A similar Cayman S would be $42k, minimum.

Go look at a bunch of cars in person, drive a few if you can. Drive both models, base and Cayman S. Figure out what model you need, and what type of tranny you want. Once you lock that down, and your price, you'll find that there aren't that many cars in that window available. From there it's: which one is in the best condition, and what color/options do you need?
Old 02-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Cgland
Intermediate

+1 on that!

Quick Reply: Please help me buy my first Cayman.!!!