Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05, or later 987 -- an IMS question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:14 PM
fronesis47
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05, or later 987 -- an IMS question

I'm test-driving a couple of 987's tomorrow, both a base and an S. I've previously driven a 986 S and it SOLD me on getting a bolster. But the prices on 986 S cars is just a bit more than I want to pay, given the prices of 05 and 06 987s.

I have done all the research on the IMS, and I've pretty much decided that if I get a 986 I should just factor in the cost to upgrade the IMS. But I'm wondering about what to do if I get a 987.

Should I focus on MY 05 so that I can still do the IMS upgrade?

Or should I get a MY 06 (non-upgradeable) and assume that the bigger bearing means I needn't worry?

If you were buying a 987, would you get the older upgradeable bearing car, or the newer, but not-upgradeable one?

NB: I can't afford an 09!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:52 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My DD is a 2005 Boxster with 65K miles and no IMS issues. Please take this recommendation with a grain of salt.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:55 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a great question. I would be inclined to go with the option that would allow for an upgrade, Porsche have no credibility with me on this issue.
But really I would direct that question to someone familiar with installing the IMS upgrades like Flat6 Innovations. They have metric tons of experience on the issue at this point.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 PM
fronesis47
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
That's a great question. I would be inclined to go with the option that would allow for an upgrade, Porsche have no credibility with me on this issue.
But really I would direct that question to someone familiar with installing the IMS upgrades like Flat6 Innovations. They have metric tons of experience on the issue at this point.
Yes, the more I read about this, the more leery I am about the non-upgradeable IMS bearings. From what I can tell, the flat6 folks will tell me what others say: that the Porsche BEARING itself is bound to fail eventually and the the various "improvements" don't change this fact. If you take this seriously, then your options are an early MY 05 or earlier, or a MY 09 or later. I have no doubt that plenty of folks are driving 06-08 cars happily, but it still makes me nervous.

Quick Reply: 05, or later 987 -- an IMS question