Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welcome to my new Boxter Black Edition...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:06 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 205 Posts

Having driven a Boxster Spyder, Boxster S, and Cayman S/R on the track...you will definitely miss the GT3 on the track. Don't try and talk yourself out of it. The Boxster will not come close in comparison.

That being said, you can still have lots of fun on the track with the Boxster and it's a better street/back roads driver. Enjoy!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Definitely not what a GT3 owner would worry about...
I think you need to look at it a little differently. Caring for and cosmetically maintaining a car isn't a worry at all, it is relaxing and therapeutic. Similar to getting around a track as smoothly and quickly as possible. Yeah there is definitely a different level of adrenaline but either way they both achieve the same results which is to take your mind off of life and work and just focus on the task at hand and the end results. Don't knock it until you try it and if you really get into it I think you'll find it is just as addictive as tracking the car. Of course it does take some patience to learn proper technique but so does driving at the track.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:22 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 205 Posts

I am just as guilty as the next guy. I take extreme care of my C4S, assure there are no swirl marks, condition the leather....etc. I also take care of the GT3, but just not in the same way.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:07 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by number 9
I woke up this morning a little freaked out and confused. When I dashed out to the garage reality smacked me in the face- I did indeed trade my 2011 GT3 for a '12 Boxter S Black Edition This happened last night and although I am sick over not having the GT3 I think I freaking love this Boxster!
I just traded my 2006 C2S Cab for a Black Edition Boxster S. I'm really enjoying the sound of that exhaust. It's an incredible car. So much more planted than the C2S. Good luck with yours!
Old 02-02-2012, 03:11 PM
gwc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the black edition. They look great, so much so that I really want to borrow a few trim pieces for the black spyder!!!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:02 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ahh...everyone owns a black car once. Some twice.

my advice.

1. Optimum No Rinse to wash. less invasive than soap washing.
2. Leaf Blower to dry or just take it onto the highway. drying is unecessary contact
3. Use microfiber only on the interior. overkill material for well-maintaned surface. Use a spa/buffing towel instead and wax with an orbital buffer (infrequently)
4. Natural sea sponge to wash the paint, dunk often.
5. in between washing, try a polymer spray like Finish Kare 425. makes the surface slippery for dust.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gwc
Congrats on the black edition. They look great, so much so that I really want to borrow a few trim pieces for the black spyder!!!
Thanks. Enjoy the Spyder!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by perfectlap
ahh...everyone owns a black car once. Some twice.

my advice.

1. Optimum No Rinse to wash. less invasive than soap washing.
2. Leaf Blower to dry or just take it onto the highway. drying is unecessary contact
3. Use microfiber only on the interior. overkill material for well-maintaned surface. Use a spa/buffing towel instead and wax with an orbital buffer (infrequently)
4. Natural sea sponge to wash the paint, dunk often.
5. in between washing, try a polymer spray like Finish Kare 425. makes the surface slippery for dust.
Thanks, I've saved your advice as a text file.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:58 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frosty Top
... if you live someplace warm, throw the top down some evening just after sunset. Turn off the radio and drive slowly. Listen to the engine right behind you and look up at the sky passing over your head.
I just LOVE the sound of the exhaust in my Black Edition Boxster. The best exhaust sound of any car I've ever owned, Porsche or non Porsche. I don't even turn the radio on because the engine sound is better!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie C
I just LOVE the sound of the exhaust in my Black Edition Boxster. The best exhaust sound of any car I've ever owned, Porsche or non Porsche. I don't even turn the radio on because the engine sound is better!
I agree Porsche nailed it with the exhaust sound. Even my wife loves it when I downshift under a bridge just to hear the sound resonate. In the 20+ years of driving I rarely had the radio off when alone but I frequently have it off inthe Spyder
Old 02-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Frosty Top
4th Gear

I drove my Black Edition to work today. It's dry and warm here in Minnesota today as it has been for most of the winter. Even though I have owned the car for only about a month, I have taken to driving it with the Sport Exhaust and Sport Chrono sport mode both on. I love both the throttle response and the sound of the exhaust. I drove quite a few 911's before I settled on getting this car, my first sports car of any description, and I don't feel cheated by the car's performance, looks or sound. I know that there are an awful lot of 911's that are a whole lot more car than my Black Edition but I am just thrilled. I hope that everyone else is having as much fun with their Porsches as I am mine. Life's good.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:12 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

+ 1 on that exhaust sound. Makes me smile each time I ride my car. Did a road test last January with Porsche dealer close to me. They had lined up 6 cars. 911 S, Cayman S, Boxster S, Panamera, 911 cab and a Cayenne. We all took turns driving each one. None had the sport exhaust.

I was so disappointed in each one. I was used to the exhaust tone of the sport exhaust and that was the missing factor in all these cars we drove that day.

I haven't seen the Black Edition yet. I'm sure it must look great.

I have the Design Edition 2. All White to include the wheels.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Frosty Top
4th Gear

While I love my Black Edition, by the time I have dried it off, it's already noticeably dusty again. I have had white cars for years and miss their forgiving finish. I envy you the all white, at least when it comes to keeping it clean.

Maybe the Sport Exhaust is most important for its psychological impact. It may not matter how fast you are going but how fast you feel like you are going. The deep sound of the Sport Exhaust in sport mode really makes it feel like the car has roared to a higher speed than perhaps it really has. It's a thrill leaving every stop sign, stop light, parking place and driveway.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:07 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Keeping my wheels clean is a problem. Almost impossible. White and brake dust is always noticeable even if I drive it just once.

Quick Reply: Welcome to my new Boxter Black Edition...?