Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welcome to my new Boxter Black Edition...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:29 AM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Welcome to my new Boxter Black Edition...?

I woke up this morning a little freaked out and confused. When I dashed out to the garage reality smacked me in the face- I did indeed trade my 2011 GT3 for a '12 Boxter S Black Edition This happened last night and although I am sick over not having the GT3 I think I freaking love this Boxter! The GT car was going to kill me at some point and we just bought a new house so figured we relax our fun-car payments and improve the house. I could look forward to a future 991 GTsomething...

Anyways, I wanted something I could still track and the wife was eyeballing the new Mini Coupe so I had to act quick when she agreed the Boxter was 'ok'. I can't spec a new Cayman R as I would have preferred and this car just appealed when we saw it. I never thought I'd own a Boxter but here I am. I look very forward to all your comments and recommendations for track mods.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Congrats on the new Boxster! While not typical I think you will find many current and former GT owners have Boxsters. They're great cars, very well balanced and extremely fun to drive. Did you get PDK or MT?

Regarding track modifications, Savboy had a post showing the modifications he made to his Spyder when he owned it.

Enjoy on good health and congrats on the new house too!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:45 AM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're definitely going to miss the straight line power of the GT car vs. Boxster on track but you'll still have a great time if you take advantage of the Boxster's strengths. You can brake very late into corners and it is predictable and easy to maintain at 9/10th. Good first mods are GT3 or RSS LCAs, track pads and better brake fluid. I would next look into a set of 18 inch wheels with NT01 tires or if you want to stay with stock wheels look into the Trofeos. When it's time to replace the stock rotors I would recommend the slotted rotors from Hergesheimer Motorsports and if you want to dial out the nasty understeer you'll want to get a stiffer rear sway bar. Good luck.

Last edited by bensf; 01-22-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:42 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

welcome and congratulations

better to live a little longer even though it's a little less power
still carves like a knife

Originally Posted by number 9
I woke up this morning a little freaked out and confused. When I dashed out to the garage reality smacked me in the face- I did indeed trade my 2011 GT3 for a '12 Boxter S Black Edition think I freaking love this Boxter! The GT car was going to kill me at some point.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Frosty Top
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi number 9,

Perhaps you will take only scant consolation from me but here goes....

Unlike you, I have never owned a sports car, much less a GT 3 but I have been test driving 911's for several years and keeping my eyes open for a used 911 that I could afford - or at least not provoke a divorce by purchasing.

A few weeks ago, a Boxster S Black Edition appeared at a local dealer with approximately 2,000 miles. I drove it a couple of times and convinced myself that it conceded almost no practical advantage to a 911 if used on roads. The Spyder wheels, 320 HP, Sport Exhaust, Sport Chrono and heated seats - it was all the car I needed and much more. It also seemed like it was indeed special. Notwithstanding the new 981, the Black Edition is the best looking Boxster ever, at least IMHO.

So, I don't blame you for missing your GT 3 but if you live someplace warm, throw the top down some evening just after sunset. Turn off the radio and drive slowly. Listen to the engine right behind you and look up at the sky passing over your head. I think that you will feel just fine.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:35 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

I have owned more than a few Porsche automobiles over 40 years including a 997 GT3 that was bought back because of repeated rear main seal leaks. It was replaced with a C2S that JSF 101 convinced me should be replaced with a Spyder. GREAT CALL the newer 911's are getting larger and softer and have lost some of the pure enjoyment and driver feedback they use to have. Enter the Boxster Spyder which brings back the fun. A great suspension and an "alive 3.4" makes for a great track and daily driver. Do I regret trading the C2S for the Spyder, not on your life.

2012 Aqua Blue Spyder, Sport bucket seats, PDK plus other goodies

Oh, I did forget one problem I am having with the Spyder, I can't seem to get this "**** eating" grin of my face. .... well off to take my wife to lunch, you guessed it in the Spyder
Old 01-23-2012, 02:19 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I woke up this morning a little freaked out and confused. When I dashed out to the garage reality smacked me in the face- I did indeed trade my 2011 GT3 for a '12 Boxter S Black Edition This happened last night and although I am sick over not having the GT3 I think I freaking love this Boxter! The GT car was going to kill me at some point and we just bought a new house so figured we relax our fun-car payments and improve the house. I could look forward to a future 991 GTsomething...

Anyways, I wanted something I could still track and the wife was eyeballing the new Mini Coupe so I had to act quick when she agreed the Boxter was 'ok'. I can't spec a new Cayman R as I would have preferred and this car just appealed when we saw it. I never thought I'd own a Boxter but here I am. I look very forward to all your comments and recommendations for track mods.
Congrats on your new Boxster.

Boxsters just communicates better. Mine is up for the TPC treatment next.

Pics?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:46 PM
number 9
Racer

Afshin, it's a manual and I saw your car on another thread and it looks flawless. You have to give me your recipe for washing a car since the black swirls with the first wash. Please share!

After a few days now I have zero regrets. This is an exceptional handling car and only 30hp away from the base 991 yet to be encountered... and with the engine in the middle I cant wait to track this thing! I'm going to see what it does out of the box before implementing any slight mods if I do any at all beyond brakes and a proper harness.

After all Im glad I didnt end up in a Cayman but I sure envy the Spyder owner. I couldnt pull either off with the whole zero-inventory-thing going on while the new platforms are about to launch. I'm not loving the look of the next Boxter but perhaps I'm a bit biased The 991 didnt appeal until I saw it in person so I look forward to see what the next iteration of the Spyder will actually look like.

I'll keep lurking to keep pulse on all things Boxter and I'll try not to sound too ignorant along the way. Thanks again for the warm welcome,
Rob
Old 01-25-2012, 09:08 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sold my '10 RS and got a Spyder and I LOVE it. No more Vettes trying to race me at lights. No more worrying where to park it. Also, the Spyder is not as much as a "look at me car" as the RS....in a time where showing wealth is not in vogue. (I watched a kid yell "F&*$%ING rich guy" while spitting on a 911 sitting at a light.)

the RS was the best car that I ever owned and probably will own. However the Spyder is more fun to drive for me. Now if I can only ditch the "girls Porsche" perception. HA!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the dif between the Black series and spyder? Body, top, Weight, suspension, interior bits? What else? Price is similar. Stupid question, are they all black?
Old 01-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Afshin, it's a manual and I saw your car on another thread and it looks flawless. You have to give me your recipe for washing a car since the black swirls with the first wash. Please share!

After a few days now I have zero regrets. This is an exceptional handling car and only 30hp away from the base 991 yet to be encountered... and with the engine in the middle I cant wait to track this thing! I'm going to see what it does out of the box before implementing any slight mods if I do any at all beyond brakes and a proper harness.

After all Im glad I didnt end up in a Cayman but I sure envy the Spyder owner. I couldnt pull either off with the whole zero-inventory-thing going on while the new platforms are about to launch. I'm not loving the look of the next Boxter but perhaps I'm a bit biased The 991 didnt appeal until I saw it in person so I look forward to see what the next iteration of the Spyder will actually look like.

I'll keep lurking to keep pulse on all things Boxter and I'll try not to sound too ignorant along the way. Thanks again for the warm welcome,
Rob
Rob let me know how involved you want to get with detailing the new Black, I and many others on this forum are detailing nuts and have several tips to keep a black car looking shiny and swirl free.

I am also curious what the next version of the Spyder will be.

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
What's the dif between the Black series and spyder? Body, top, Weight, suspension, interior bits? What else? Price is similar. Stupid question, are they all black?
Differences between the Black Series and Spyder:
Black Series are all black and they have a host of additional options at a very good price.

The Spyder has a different front/rear suspension, different roof (manual), different rear hatch cover (aluminum with double bubble), aluminum doors, carbon fiber sport bucket seats (GT2 Seats). The Spyder also eliminated the radio and A/C although both could be optioned back in and most cars do have them. The changes above equal to a weight loss of about 140 - 175 Lbs depending on how the car is optioned.

There are fewer differences between the Cayman R and the Cayman Black, really the aluminum doors and suspension are the only real differences once the radio and A/C are optioned back in.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:44 PM
number 9
Racer

Afshin, Sorry for such a delayed reply but I am very intent on keeping this car swirl-free and I figure with so little painted surface there's no reason to not have it 100% when you're done. I know that everyone has their method and this topic has been done to death but I'm in another black car and determined to keep better on top of this one. Speaking of tops, what's involved with keeping the material dealer-fresh? I'll do a full front clear wrap by a proven expert and wonder if I should be doing this before or after an initial claybar and wax?

Im not overly obsessive and I wash infrequently, maybe every 3 weeks. It's garaged at home but driven daily and probably spends too much time in parking lots with the top up. I am in south Florida and water spots are a problem, as is the inevitable rain. I have a dedicated leaf blower, waffle towels for spot drying, I use 2 buckets/grid guard, clean microfiber wash mitts. Detail spray following about every other wash and removing it with microfiber towel. No problems cleaning the wheels and I never dress the tires... just want a swirl-free paint and want to start things off just right, starting with a nice therapeutic weekend involving a fridge full of Bass Ale, a claybar, and an arsenal of good information and new products to try.

What do YOU do? I suspect the microfiber... or it's me. Natural sponge? Waterless? Any Porsche-specific product types for dark paint colors?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:08 PM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the Black Edition... one suggestion for washing, you may want consider investing in a de-ionizer. There are different units @ different costs, but deionized water air-dries without water spots. So, use that on the final rinse. Air-dried = less chance of swirl marks. I am considering one since I'm getting to be lazy.

Hope you see you @ Sebring, PBIR or Homestead some time. BTW, there are a few of us on the FL forum here doing get together events. Join us if you can.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:41 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Afshin, Sorry for such a delayed reply but I am very intent on keeping this car swirl-free and I figure with so little painted surface there's no reason to not have it 100% when you're done. I know that everyone has their method and this topic has been done to death but I'm in another black car and determined to keep better on top of this one. Speaking of tops, what's involved with keeping the material dealer-fresh? I'll do a full front clear wrap by a proven expert and wonder if I should be doing this before or after an initial claybar and wax?

Im not overly obsessive and I wash infrequently, maybe every 3 weeks. It's garaged at home but driven daily and probably spends too much time in parking lots with the top up. I am in south Florida and water spots are a problem, as is the inevitable rain. I have a dedicated leaf blower, waffle towels for spot drying, I use 2 buckets/grid guard, clean microfiber wash mitts. Detail spray following about every other wash and removing it with microfiber towel. No problems cleaning the wheels and I never dress the tires... just want a swirl-free paint and want to start things off just right, starting with a nice therapeutic weekend involving a fridge full of Bass Ale, a claybar, and an arsenal of good information and new products to try.

What do YOU do? I suspect the microfiber... or it's me. Natural sponge? Waterless? Any Porsche-specific product types for dark paint colors?
No worries on delays, I too have been incredibly busy lately with my new job and time doesn't always permit a proper reply.

To care for the top you should clean and protect it every 6 - 12 months. There is a product called RaggTop which is recommended by the manufacturer of the canvas roofs. You will need their cleaner, protectant and a soft bristle brush (boars hair) for cleaning. Make sure you tape off the painted areas when applying the protectant since there will be some overspray.

When I had the clear bra installed on my car (Link: https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...-car-care.html ) the detailer specifically asked me not to use anything on the car and they will likely strip the paint anyways. Being a detailing fanatic I have to admit that it was incredible hard for me to not wax the car immediately after getting it!

Easy way to determine if it needs claying before the bra install is to get a new ziplock bag, place your fingers inside and run it over the paint after you wash the car. If it feels smooth you don't need to clay. If you do need to clay it go easy and knead the clay frequently to avoid scratching/swirls.

It looks like you have all the right products/techniques for washing the car. Are you experiencing any problems with swirls now or in the past when using your wash technique?

If you are getting water spots from sprinklers I would encourage you to find a new parking spot. The reclaimed water used for commercial sprinklers will etch paint, it is nasty and full of contaminants which will harm paint.

Apply wax regularly to prevent acid rain etching.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Definitely not what a GT3 owner would worry about...

Quick Reply: Welcome to my new Boxter Black Edition...?