Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cell phone holder - center console near cubby box

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 01:28 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cell phone holder - center console near cubby box

I have an idea for a small, easily reversible, simple mobile phone holder.

On the center console just between the shifter and cubby box is a little ridged area on which a mobile phone can sits perfectly in landscape position. I believe 997 cars have the same console design. The phone is held on the top and bottom by the ridges in the actual console, but there's nothing to hold it on its sides; consequently when taking turns, the phone falls onto the floor.

If there were something to hold the phone in, like a tray of sorts, it would remain fairly stationary.

This is a good place to put a phone since it's out of the way, easily removable, and yet still makes the phone usable for navigation use. I know a Motorola Bionic and Samsung Galaxy Nexus fit there since those are the two phones I've had since buying my 987, and I think an iPhone 4 will fit as well (will have to try with my wife's phone).

If someone is handy with a drawing program and 3D printer, we can inexpensively make a little mount like this out of plastic. Just a little tray - not unlike a cheapy business card holder - would be it. It could be secured using a little adhesive tape.

Any interest?

The part of the console I'm referring to is near where the walkie-talkie antenna is in this photo:
Old 01-18-2012, 03:57 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I place my phone there all the time, works great on the highway. I have an HTC thunderbolt. I may be interested depending on design.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:14 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 134 Posts

I would be interested too.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

My phone fit perfectly in the ashtray of my 997 with the tray itself taken out. In the Spyder, with Bluetooth I haven't needed to try with my current phone.

Quick Reply: Cell phone holder - center console near cubby box