Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Co-driving a 987 at the track - feasible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Co-driving a 987 at the track - feasible?

What issues would someone run into co-driving a 987 at the track. PCA HPDE sessions normally run 20-25 minutes. Is it feasible? Any help appreciated.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I've tracked a Cayman S a lot including some "Advanced Days". The only issue I can see is the posiblilty of over-heating the P/S system. This usually only occurs if you are running R comp tires and driving hard. You may experience over-heating of the rear brakes due to PSM intervention whether turned on or off.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

I did it with both my 2005 Boxster and my 2007 Boxster S and had no issues at all.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Thank you. A few follow ups:

1) Is the "P/S system" power steering?
2) We will definitely be running R-compounds and Track pads.
3) We are White and Black group drivers with the PCA so we will definitely be doing Advanced Days.
4) Any oil issues?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:45 AM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, as white and black run group drivers you will have to manage the car so as to not use it up for the next person, especially if running in back to back sessions. Then again, in my experience, this is the case with all cars that would essentially be running for 40-50 minutes at a time.

The above advice is spot on.

P/S = Power steering system.

Keep the car filled with quality oil and check level during the day (sorry, is the 987 a "dipstick" less engine? I know my 986 still had a dipstick)
Old 01-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Ajjra
Pro

Originally Posted by racer
Well, as white and black run group drivers you will have to manage the car so as to not use it up for the next person, especially if running in back to back sessions. Then again, in my experience, this is the case with all cars that would essentially be running for 40-50 minutes at a time.

The above advice is spot on.

P/S = Power steering system.

Keep the car filled with quality oil and check level during the day (sorry, is the 987 a "dipstick" less engine? I know my 986 still had a dipstick)

Correct, there is no dipstick. There is a electronic dashboard readout. I'm hugely disappointed that the 987 doesn't have an oil pressure gauge and oil temp would be nice too. Perhaps a baffled oil pan or something of the like is in order.

As for the power steering issues, can you tell me more about this? What will we feel/expereince when driving to indicate there is an issue? My other track car has electric steering so I am not at all familiar with this.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:47 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't experienced the P/S issues, but I have seen cars that have. It seems to me the issue is two fold.. One is the extra cornering loading that may impact the rack, the other is the increased engine temps due to track driving that then contribute to overheating of the pump itself. On the 986 cars, somefolks would add an external cooler to the P/S system to keep the items cooler. Not sure how its handled on 987 cars.

Quick Reply: Co-driving a 987 at the track - feasible?