Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help needed in England with a misaligned Boxster roof.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Nigel1789
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help needed in England with a misaligned Boxster roof.

Hi Rennlisters. This is my first post on your fantastic website, although I have been shyly reading it since I got my 05 Boxster in October, after selling my much loved, beautiful but expensive 'gearbox ill' 993.

An observation The 993 forum on 993UK is thriving, and full of opinion and advice. The Boxster forum isn't, and I am crossing the Atlantic looking for help.

When I put the roof back up, the platic covered cable along the top of the left hand window, doesn't quite fit back into its channel in the 'backside' of the plastic roof edging (!). It stays just outside; to get it in, I have to stop the process just at the right moment, and guide it in.

Can this be fixed? Better still, could it be fixed by me?

I recall Dave at Souhtbound Trimmers getting hold of my 993 roof, and very skillfully, giving it a damned good shove over one way, to make it line up perfectly.

It's wet and cold and dark here, and I will really tacjkle it on a Saturday morning - but - any opinions or ideas please??

Very best wishes to you all - Nigel, Gloucestershire.

PS we (my stepson and I) are very much enjoying a series called Cafe Racer at the moment. It shows parts of the USA that are also cold and wet and dark - Michigan, Idaho, New York - rather thans just sunny California. No offence intended!
Old 01-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Boxster in my Future?
Advanced

Hello Nigel,

I have an '09 base, and just after I bought it, mine did exactly the same thing as yours. The left side of the top was wrinkled and did not fit properly around the window... a totally unacceptable condition! I took it back (under warranty of course) for them to fix it. One of the two Porsche techs did his best, but could not get it quite right. The next day, the other tech (who has more experience and I think skill) took a whack at it and fixed it just fine. Apparently there is a tension adjustment that can be seen with the top up about half way. He claimed that this can happen, but is not common. That was almost 2 years ago, and the top has been fine ever since he fixed it.

I don't know if you can fix it yourself, but perhaps if you do a little more research online, you might find that tensioner. There are, of course, two - one on each side sort of poking out of the boot area. Good luck with it. It CAN be fixed!

Doug
Old 01-14-2012, 05:35 AM
Nigel1789
Track Day

Thanks Doug - I will go and have a look for that adjustment. Bets wishes to Ohio - N
Old 10-12-2021, 05:02 PM
aiyana
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Nigel1789
Hi Rennlisters. This is my first post on your fantastic website, although I have been shyly reading it since I got my 05 Boxster in October, after selling my much loved, beautiful but expensive 'gearbox ill' 993.

An observation The 993 forum on 993UK is thriving, and full of opinion and advice. The Boxster forum isn't, and I am crossing the Atlantic looking for help.

When I put the roof back up best restonroof, the platic covered cable along the top of the left hand window, doesn't quite fit back into its channel in the 'backside' of the plastic roof edging (!). It stays just outside; to get it in, I have to stop the process just at the right moment, and guide it in.

Can this be fixed? Better still, could it be fixed by me?

I recall Dave at Souhtbound Trimmers getting hold of my 993 roof, and very skillfully, giving it a damned good shove over one way, to make it line up perfectly.

It's wet and cold and dark here, and I will really tacjkle it on a Saturday morning - but - any opinions or ideas please??

Very best wishes to you all - Nigel, Gloucestershire.

PS we (my stepson and I) are very much enjoying a series called Cafe Racer at the moment. It shows parts of the USA that are also cold and wet and dark - Michigan, Idaho, New York - rather thans just sunny California. No offence intended!
You are right.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:54 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 167 Posts

Not sure if this is the issue you are describing?

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...r-top-fix.html

Quick Reply: help needed in England with a misaligned Boxster roof.