Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a horrible day

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:54 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What a horrible day

Leaving work today I hear a loud Hiss. Right rear tire has huge in the side wall, no idea how. Of course I have a 2005 with no spare. To make matters worse, i am running goodyear eagle f1's. 265/40/ZR18 No one has them in stock, and the goodyear system is showing back order. This is my daily driver, what am I suposed to do.

I don't track the car, don't have winter wheels. Should i buy 2 rear tires of a different brand, or all 4 new in a different brand? anybody run Kumho's? I just bought a house so the cash flow is a little weak right now.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your thread title suggested more.....
Old 11-22-2011, 08:05 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

I just looked up the weather forecast for Atlanta, no rain until Saturday. Maybe you can drive the Stang?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:13 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just mount-up the best you can find on the rears, either a size and brand you like and can match on the front later or something cheap, until you can get what you want later. Since you do not track the car and you are short on funds, "superior grip/handling" is not a must have, so you need not concern yourself with matched front/rear tires yet. Ebay or Craigslist might be an option for used rubber. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:38 PM
equ
Racer

Seriously, between the title and your handle, I thought something happened to a certain 66 Mustang. Tires are not a big deal.

http://tirecrawler.com/shop/detail_t...t_id=7307&t=GS

Not sure what above means or if they're in stock.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 66mustang
Leaving work today I hear a loud Hiss. Right rear tire has huge in the side wall, no idea how. Of course I have a 2005 with no spare. To make matters worse, i am running goodyear eagle f1's. 265/40/ZR18 No one has them in stock, and the goodyear system is showing back order. This is my daily driver, what am I suposed to do.

I don't track the car, don't have winter wheels. Should i buy 2 rear tires of a different brand, or all 4 new in a different brand? anybody run Kumho's? I just bought a house so the cash flow is a little weak right now.
Just buy 1 tire that is comparable to the Goodyear: size, speed rating, tread design & diameter. Call around to tire stores & tell them what you want if they don't have the knowledge to be able to do that go elsewhere used tire is ok to as long as the dot# is less than 5 years old.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 66mustang

How about a rental car? Sometimes Budget (any rental car agency away from an airport or with a desk not located in the lobby of a hotel) will offer some deal on a econ box.

Since you're in a pinch you can try buying a pair of any suitable appropriate tires.

I would *not* mix tires -- use different tires even if the same size -- on the same 'axle'.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:46 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Kumho XS are great dry, but awful in the wet and downright dangerous in cold weather (near or below freezing).

I wouldn't worry about driving on a mismatched tire (of any brand) for the short term- it's no different than using a donut spare. But you must be aware of it, and treat it much like you would a donut- EG, avoid spirited driving.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:29 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

I ended up getting to used Michelin sport pilots, for a temporary solution. They have 50% left and they were $100 total mounted and balanced.

Yes, I may have over reacted a little. When it happens to you, you may understand .
Old 11-24-2011, 01:30 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by equ
Seriously, between the title and your handle, I thought something happened to a certain 66 Mustang. Tires are not a big deal.

http://tirecrawler.com/shop/detail_t...t_id=7307&t=GS

Not sure what above means or if they're in stock.
Those are no my tires. I have the asymmetric tires

Quick Reply: What a horrible day