Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little track protection

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 02:09 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 167 Posts
Default A little track protection

In preparation for taking the car to the track for the first time next weekend, I thought it prudent to protect the front end of the car and mirrors. I bought a really nice bra and mirror covers, in black. The fit is great. They actually used my car to create the pattern. I used to tape up the front end on my previous car (308 GTS) but this gives me much better coverage.

I will report back after the weekend but I think this may work out well. I never did opt to get a clear bra.

Phil
Old 11-13-2011, 02:13 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Default Some pics of the near bra

Here are some the pictures of the new bra and mirror covers...
Attached Images    
Old 11-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Phil post some pictures, this is the first I've heard of a bra for the Spyder! You might considering putting some painters tape behind the tires, once the tires get hot small rocks and sand will stick to it and accelerate it into the painted areas behind the tires. You should also put a clear bra on the rear flares, nothing installed from the factory.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry, you posted pictures before I responded. How much?
Old 11-13-2011, 02:42 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

How much? Where can I order one?
Old 11-13-2011, 08:56 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

I purchased it from speedlingerie.com in Mountain View CA. The front cover cost $599 and the mirror covers cost $139. You can pretty much get them in any color you want but went with the black.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:12 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Afshin - I thought about a clear bra on the flairs but didn't want the edge to wax around nor the special wax for the bra. I will probably still put some blue tape on the back edge of the wheel wells like you suggest. Thanks,
Phil
Old 11-14-2011, 06:25 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

one of the best things you can do for our cars for both street and track is to install grills in front of the radiators. Hit a bird square in the left intake on my Cayman and my grill prevented damage to that radiator.

I built mine myself and plan to do the same for my Spyder. Get a piece of poster board and take your time and cut a template (right and left side are the same. At home Depot on the gutter supplies isle get some metal mesh gutter guards ( they come in 6" x 3') the cost is bout $3.00 per piece. One piece will be more than enough to do both sides and a second one to do the center if you have a third radiator. use your template for a guide and cut out the necessary shape. I then fine tune mine with a bench grinder to take off sharp edges. Paint them black and install either behind the grills ( a little tricky or in front of them with black tie wraps. Someone sent me some rubber edging that I used on one car and will use it on my other when I find a source. Project takes a couple of hours, looks good and is great protection to your radiators. Have not noticed and increase in coolant temp with the grills installed even in this past hot Summer.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f4 plt
one of the best things you can do for our cars for both street and track is to install grills in front of the radiators. Hit a bird square in the left intake on my Cayman and my grill prevented damage to that radiator.

I built mine myself and plan to do the same for my Spyder. Get a piece of poster board and take your time and cut a template (right and left side are the same. At home Depot on the gutter supplies isle get some metal mesh gutter guards ( they come in 6" x 3') the cost is bout $3.00 per piece. One piece will be more than enough to do both sides and a second one to do the center if you have a third radiator. use your template for a guide and cut out the necessary shape. I then fine tune mine with a bench grinder to take off sharp edges. Paint them black and install either behind the grills ( a little tricky or in front of them with black tie wraps. Someone sent me some rubber edging that I used on one car and will use it on my other when I find a source. Project takes a couple of hours, looks good and is great protection to your radiators. Have not noticed and increase in coolant temp with the grills installed even in this past hot Summer.
I agree that protecting the radiators which sit very low and have no protection is very important. I installed a set of mesh guards shortly after bringing my car in for service and seeing how much junk was in there. The guys at the dealer had suggested buying a set to protect the radiators and keeping the leaves out in the fall. They work beautifully and give the intakes a more aggressive appearance. I purchased mine from http://porschemesh.com/boxster.html.

Cheap insurance really.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:19 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redyps
Afshin - I thought about a clear bra on the flairs but didn't want the edge to wax around nor the special wax for the bra. I will probably still put some blue tape on the back edge of the wheel wells like you suggest. Thanks,
Phil
Phil, one trick I learned is have a custom install done that leaves very few edges that you'll need to work around. For example, my entire hood, fenders and front bumper are covered with a clear bra. I use the same carnauba on the bra as the paint and I don't have to take any special precautions or really worry about edges. The rear flares have one single visible edge which is a straight line at the top. If you wax in the direction from the bra to the paint you won't get any wax build up on the edge. The bra is installed right over the sticker so you eliminate those edges too.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I purchased it from speedlingerie.com in Mountain View CA. The front cover cost $599 and the mirror covers cost $139. You can pretty much get them in any color you want but went with the black.
Keep a close watch on your paint to make sure that the bra isn't rubbing. Speedlingere used to be popular on Ferraris because they were available in lots of colors including red. A guy on Ferrarichat recently posted and mentioned he had a speedlingerie bra for a Ferrari. But he stopped using it , because regardless of their claims it moves, it rubs against the paint, and dirt got under the edges. All of that left lots of rub marks and cuts in the paint. Hopefully yours will work out better, but I'd rather go with a clear bra.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 11-14-2011, 06:05 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Price update, my mistake, mirror covers are $189 not $139.

Dino - The bra is only going to be on the car for the track, so I am hopeful that there will not be any wear marks. There is also some basic maintenance to clean it which I intend on keeping up with. Thanks, Phil
Old 11-15-2011, 09:40 AM
balakris
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In preparation for taking the car to the track for the first time next weekend, I thought it prudent to protect the front end of the car and mirrors. I bought a really nice bra and mirror covers, in black. The fit is great. They actually used my car to create the pattern. I used to tape up the front end on my previous car (308 GTS) but this gives me much better coverage.

I will report back after the weekend but I think this may work out well. I never did opt to get a clear bra.

Phil

Nice! Pics of the 308??
Old 11-15-2011, 09:46 AM
balakris
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I agree that protecting the radiators which sit very low and have no protection is very important. I installed a set of mesh guards shortly after bringing my car in for service and seeing how much junk was in there. The guys at the dealer had suggested buying a set to protect the radiators and keeping the leaves out in the fall. They work beautifully and give the intakes a more aggressive appearance. I purchased mine from http://porschemesh.com/boxster.html.

Cheap insurance really.
What's interesting is that the front center vent in the 2012's are covered with a small black plastic piece.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by balakris
What's interesting is that the front center vent in the 2012's are covered with a small black plastic piece.
If you have PDK the center is open and a radiator sits there to cool the tranny. If you have an MT the center vent is covered with a black plastic piece.

Quick Reply: A little track protection