Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I fit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 12:06 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Will I fit?

Hi, I am a 993 owner but have my eye on an '08 Cayman S. At 6'2", I think I am borderline for fitting in such a car. Would be nice to track the car (with helmet) but not necessary. Car has a sunroof.

Thoughts?
Old 10-20-2011, 12:14 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm 6'2" and have more heard room in my 987S than my 993TT.

With regards to a helmet, that's the only way to properly track a car. And certain helmet are taller/shorter than others. Make sure you test fit the helmet in the car you are driving, and adjust your seating position (slightly forward) properly.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:44 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for that. What I meant with the helmet comment was that although I have done DE's with the 993 over the years, I am at a "stage in my life" (i.e. kids) where it is tough to commit weekends so I haven't tracked the car in two years.

Glad to hear that there is more headroom in the 987S thant the 993TT.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Head room is generous, but check the leg room. I'm 6' 1" (34" inseam), but would like another inch of seat travel. Some taller than I am have said they fit fine, however. Maybe it depends partly on what you're used to.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:34 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
Head room is generous, but check the leg room. I'm 6' 1" (34" inseam), but would like another inch of seat travel. Some taller than I am have said they fit fine, however. Maybe it depends partly on what you're used to.
Off topic, sorry.

Jim, How in the world are you, long time no see. Hope all is well in your world.

Cheers, Mike
Old 10-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike: You've got mail.

Jim
Old 10-23-2011, 05:57 AM
Mechanic
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Can we discusss this further?

Anyone replace the OEM seat with an aftermarket seat to gain legroom? And, if so, can you estimate how much did you gained?

Anyone order a Boxster or Cayman with the center console deleted? If so, would you mind discussing what that involved? In other words, if the center console is deleted, what ends up where -- e.g., heater controls, etc? (I'm more than willing to give up any audio equipment.)

I'd be delighted to buy either a Boxster or a Cayman, but my leg length has kept me out of these cars since their introduction. Regardless of how much I lower the seat and move it rearward, my right leg is still "trapped" between the steering wheel and the center console. I hoped I might fit in the new one, but apparently the legroom is only going to increase by 18mm (0.7 of an inch) which won't be enough for me, so I'm back to considering other possibilities.

Finally, I've read the prior threads on this subject, but as I recall, only one mentioned it was possible to order a Boxster with the center console deleted, and doing that wasn't discussed in the context of trying to gain additional legroom.

I'm open to any suggestions.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:22 PM
TimD
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I am 6'2" and have a 34" inseam. I tried the nonpowered seats an was about to walk away from my purchase, then sat in a Cayman with the 12 way power seats and was amazed! The tilt feature with the power seats really transforms the car and gives you that extra support in the thigh area that makes the car very comfortable to drive. I've had my 12 Cayman for 4 months now and am very comfortable driving long distances in the car. Check out the power seats.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:54 PM
EMSGriff
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Tall Drivers Unite

Like most of you; I am tall at 6'5", and legroom has never been a very pleasant experience.

A few years ago, I started fabricating seat extenders in my fathers factory. Now 4 years later and over 3,000 units sold worldwide, we just completed the Porsche 996 and 997 brackets.

I am new to the Forum and am trying to spread the legroom word. If anyone has some ideas or suggestions on how to help taller drivers, please send me a PM.

Thank you

Griff at Www.extendmyseat.com

Old 11-18-2012, 08:32 PM
technivoro.us
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 21 Posts

For another data point: I'm 6'3", with a 34" inseam. No problems fitting, even with a helmet. I actually don't put the seats all the way back. I've got manual sport seats.

I've found that the console bothers me less than the one in my 996 (which I ended up removing), but I also tend to put the wheel as high and a close to me as it'll go.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:00 PM
EMSGriff
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by technivoro.us
For another data point: I'm 6'3", with a 34" inseam. No problems fitting, even with a helmet. I actually don't put the seats all the way back. I've got manual sport seats.

I've found that the console bothers me less than the one in my 996 (which I ended up removing), but I also tend to put the wheel as high and a close to me as it'll go.
I appreciate the notes on your 996. I agree that you definitely want to be close enough to the wheel in order to remain in control.

Happy Racing!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Joe F
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

we have power seats in my wife's 2007 cayman. I am nearly 6'4" also 34 inseam and I can fit in with the seat all the way back and down. Headroom isn't a problem, but legroom is VERY tight.

I don't think I would like a long drive in it. Wonderful car though.

Quick Reply: Will I fit?