Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.1 and 987.2 Cold Air Intake Sounds - TOO LOUD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 12:49 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AYHSMB
I would have a lot more respect for these products if they just called them "noisemakers" instead of "cold air intakes".

Seems like an excellent noisemaker.

I also enjoy playing cards in my bicycle spokes.
I used to put aces in my spokes as a kid. Now, my riding partners won't have any part of it

At least this product actually takes-in air from outside the engine compartment. MOST, so called, CAI systems have you disconnect your OEM INTAKE pulling from the outside, so you can suck air from under the hood where it's nice and dry and TOASTY HOT.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Cayman_Sense
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

As far the Cayman "intakes" go, I'm pretty this one doesn't just suck in hot 'engine-bay air' like other intakes.

Not too loud for my liking. Just wish PCA/POC would update their rules to allow modifications to the air intake (up until the plenum...)
Old 01-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds good to me, did it yield anything on the dyno or just more consistent pulls with regards to reducing heat soak et al?
Old 01-17-2012, 04:20 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

I need to get one of these intakes on a stock 6-speed Cayman so I can reproduce fresh dyno results. All of our testing was done with the aluminum 3.5" and then 4" prototype and the car already had a flash, pulleys, etc. It's a slam dunk on the heat soak front but the factory setup is actually very efficient for heat soak too. However, the 3.5" intake adds power. You will get every bit of it at the wheels because of the amount of air able to flow vs. OEM. Going down the road it will suck even harder.

The BGB R&D vehicle right now is a PDK Cayman and it's rather fickle for dyno testing. While we are working on a setup to replicate the rear wheel speed sensors and send them to the ECU so that the car doesn't know it's being dyno'd, I don't put much fait in PDK dyno numbers right now. I will do my best to locate someone with a DFI 6-speed car. OR...if someone in the area wants to purchase the intake, we could offer a free install if they drive their car to the dyno before AND after and help us do a write-up.

Otherwise, sit tight another week or two and we can spit out another dyno analysis. Or...you can take the words from the horse's mouth and take the leap of faith!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:11 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi John, I would like to know the power difference from stock. noise is irrealevant to me, but racing with ITC in a P2 I need all the help I can get.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:58 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Hi Scott,

I talked to Doug and he's thinking about making the BGB/Fabspeed intake spec for the GTP cars but not for the P1/P2 cars. Work your mojo!
Old 01-19-2012, 08:20 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking to test a prototype on my car see if there is any noticeable improvement.

Quick Reply: 987.1 and 987.2 Cold Air Intake Sounds - TOO LOUD?