Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for more HP...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 02:36 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default looking for more HP...?

HP/TQ never gets old.

the Spyder is purrfect in virtually every respect... but more grunt would make it purrfect-er.

After canvassing a couple of reliable sources it appears that 400 at the wheels is not doable without FI with the current configuration.

BUT

if appears that an X51 is a fairly straightforward drop-in, and you can even retain PDK. 400+ in NA state (no lag, no blow ups, high revs) is now possible

Going to do some more homework cuz that would make this car absolutely divine! Decided against the TT S no matter what since it's like driving a bus next to this... except the a$$-kick part...
Old 06-29-2011, 04:43 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I agree that an X51 in a spyder would make it the perfect car. No doubt. Turbocharging a car that was not setup for FI from the factory is just not ideal. Too many variables, too many issues can arise, and it usally turns into a bigger hassle in the end than it is worth. OEM spends A LOT of time/money making sure these variables are all taken into account. Keep us up to date if you decide to do this. It would be SWEET.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:13 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

The GTS seems to be a popular model. Over time there could be a decent supply of X51 motors available from wrecked cars. Would be awesome in a Spyder.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:37 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

I am VERY interested in doing this! Keep us posted as to what you find as far as costs and complications.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:24 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

crate engine, exhaust, intake, EVO flash and labor is looking like $25K +/- 5K.If you played with a Cup for the Summer this is nothing... Waaay less than trading for a TT S and will retain the Spyder character... the best of both worlds

suppose a wreker could save a lot, but I'd need that pup inspected very carefully. The engine is a stressed member so a damaged frame may also spell damage for the block

they, Joe... if you can blow $10K for the seats, this should be no big deal.

While I'm a bit concerned about warranty issues, what the heck...

BTW, definitely going to be looking for aftermarket Recaros w/heat and the appropriate plug receptacle.

to be contimued
Old 07-01-2011, 11:11 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

MMMmmm.... sounds soooo good. Must resist... must resist....
Old 07-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Resistance is futile......you only live once!

But seriously, on the street I find the Spyder has plenty of power but I could definitely see how more power would be appropriate on the track. Imagine blowing by everything else on the track in the straights and in the corners.

For those of you considering this, have you compared weights of the 3.4 and the X51?
Old 07-01-2011, 07:59 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

not yet, but I'll bet the lighter exhaust makes up some for what I expect to be a little heavier engine

it won't weight that much more, and it will still be low...

an honest 100 WHP comes in handy anywhere, maybe everywhere...
Old 07-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
not yet, but I'll bet the lighter exhaust makes up some for what I expect to be a little heavier engine

it won't weight that much more, and it will still be low...

an honest 100 WHP comes in handy anywhere, maybe everywhere...
I'll pretend I didn't read that last line since I know you're right.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:31 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

c'mon... you know you want it...
Old 07-04-2011, 03:25 PM
ReadyKW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a gent over at Pelican Parts attempting to put a 3.8 9A1 DFI into his 986.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxst...fi-engine.html

One problem he had that 987.2 owners should also have was the oil filter location. To move the oil filter to the Cayman/Boxster location would require machining of the block.

crate engine, exhaust, intake, EVO flash and labor is looking like $25K +/- 5
What is the difference between the 3.8 and 3.4 intake/exhaust? Diameter? I always thought that the X51 was the older motor and not the 9A1 DFI. Is there a X51 9A1 DFI and non 9A1 DFI?

There was a thread started by BGB Motorsports: http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...-question.html, but it faded away. Regardless, detailed information is lacking (for 987.2) and no one appears to have done it.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:06 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

to my knowledge the swap is for the older block, not the 9A1

I'd go for a Metzger if it would fit... that is one heck of an engine. I'll bet it costs more than a 9A1 to produce and is why it was changed. The Metzger has proven itself to be bulletproof when properly maintained.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:00 PM
ReadyKW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Metzger has proven itself to be bulletproof when properly maintained
To date, so has the 9A1. The Cayman Interseries has over 100K miles of racing on stock 9A1's with zero failures. The Metzger is done. All flat sixes will be 9A1 DFI. IMO, wanting to put a Metzger in a Spyder is just pie in the sky. Nothing is going to bolt up, the Metzger is very different and will cost you a hell of a lot more than $25K.

The mod path for 987.2's is very clear to me, 9A1 DFI. BGB is getting 450 hp from the 3.8 DFI. It would be nice to find some serious technical info regarding the 9A1 and 3.8 conversions, but no one is talking including BGB (on a side note, I find the lack of technical info on 987.2's in general to be frustrating). . The new 991 base car will have a 350 hp 3.4l 9A1. Difference between the Cayman R 3.4 and the 991 3.4? Better cylinder heads for the 991.

Quick Reply: looking for more HP...?