Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster RS60 or Audi TT??????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 06:47 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Boxster RS60 or Audi TT??????????

I know there is not much comparison, my last Porsche was a 88 911, I absolutely loved it and knew I would get another at some point.

Here is the issue, I live in New England and this is going to be my Daily Driver, my toy is a Shelby Mustang that I have no intention of selling. I have read over and over again that an RWD balanced car with Snow Tires is as good or better than an AWD car with All Seasons.

The only advantage I see to the Audi is AWD and that I would buy it New, the RS60 would be Certified Pre-owned.

Thoughts???? Am I nuts?

I do not care about driving a Porsche in the Winter (Some may think that is crazy), it is a car and I change cars every 3 years or so, salt washes off a Porsche just as well as it washes off a Honda.

Last edited by MessyMarvin; 05-27-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:24 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

[QUOTE=MessyMarvin;8591547

Here is the issue, I live in New England and this is going to be my Daily Driver, my toy is a Shelby Mustang that I have no intention of selling. I have read over and over again that an RWD balanced car with Snow Tires is as good or better than an AWD car with All Seasons.
.[/QUOTE]

I live in an area of Colorado where we get a ton of snow. My wife has a rwd car with snow tires. I have an suv 4wd with all season tires. We would NEVER, NEVER take her car when it snows. Snow tires help on a rwd car but no where as good as a 4wd drive car. As an aside, my neighbor has the Audio TT with awd. He has performance tires on the car. The car is no good in the snow with the performance tires. I don't know how it would be with all season tires.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

My Speed3 came with RE050A stock and the car was useless with anything more than an inch of snow. I bought steel wheels and Blizzaks the following year and they have the same traction as my wifes Pilot in the snow unless there's more than 6" on the ground. The ground clearance is the main problem.

The Boxster will probably be slightly more difficult in the snow since its rear wheel drive and the weight doesn't sit above the rear tires.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:35 AM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will always buy the better car and just deal with it. Go to work late, stay home when it snows.

We had one of the worst winters ever this past year, and still, it was only about 10 snowdays. I rather have the best car I can get for the 355 days of the year, than an inferior car for 365 days.

For sports cars, to me is a no brainer. Buy the one you want, buy the better car.
Even for a daily driver, I buy with the same ideal. I have a RWD BMW. I had 2 days which I didn't drive it this past winter. I wouldn't trade that for an Audi that I can drive all 365 days of the year.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:32 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

first all, what year is the shelby mustang?

second, the audi is a good car for the wife...... the porsche is the better car new or used.

for the snowy season a boxster is not the answer. this is not 1969.

you need to look for a CPO 997 C4 cabrio or for lessor money a 996 C4 cabrio.

all wheel drive porsche with a drop top. much better. the boxster in winter is an accident waiting to happen.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:37 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Not a bad idea looking for a C4, I really want a smaller more fun car, I currently have a VW CC that is AWD, it is a really nice car that drives great, it is just boring. I have all the power I need with the Shelby, it is a 2007 with 500 HP to the wheels. I want something different than that.

I have had a Miata a while back and I loved it, was fun as hell to drive, just down on power. I also had a E36 M3 Vert that I miss, but it kept having top problems so I got rid of it.

Quick Reply: Boxster RS60 or Audi TT??????????