Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with 2 audio questions in a Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 04:48 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Newbie with 2 audio questions in a Boxster

I bought a 2005 Boxster that has an Alpine radio in it. The P.O. had the stereo installed professionally, with an Alpine amp and POLK speakers. I think he had a sub that was removed because there are more amp wires hanging. I need to have it tuned better because the sound is worse than the Bose sound.

Question 1. I get a PCM warning whenever I turn my car on. The code says can connect to stereo. Is this common for cars with aftermarket stereos? Or did they not by the right kit, and cut wires instead?

Question 2. Would a bose sub from a Cayman fit into the Boxster? I would use the enclosure with my own amp and speakers. I like the idea of very small enclosure that doesn't take up much passenger leg room.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:55 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not worked on a 05 but on the earlier years the sub is in an enclosure that is on that shelf behind you ( boxster). It is nothing special also.. I dont no were the cayman sub enclosure is but I would think it is similair to the 997 and is in the front passenger side of console.. Its not bad for a factory sub either. The one problem is with all the bose porsche systems the sub is one ohm. So you are going to have to buy an amp that puts out power at that low ohmage other wize you will clip the amp. Memphis amps go down to 1 ohm. I am sure some other companies do... JL audio amps only go down to 1.5 ohms. So you cant use that...

I have never had PCM light come on for any porsche that I replaced the radio in...

Quick Reply: Newbie with 2 audio questions in a Boxster