Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTS... Get it while you can...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 04:58 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Cayman I'm sure they will give you the ok on the paint as long as they can get the allocation.

I saw Basalt today at the local cars and coffee and I can say that I made the right choice from the existing color palette although I do admit that having a custom color would be cool and ordering a car exactly the way you want it is even cooler!

Keep us posted if you make progress on the PTS. I suspect there will be very very few PTS Spyders out there considering the short time frame.
Yeah,
Allocation is my concern, I hope the dealership can get one. They seem to think they can. The color shouldn't be a issue, like mentioned, it's a VAG color and should be easily accessible.

Does anyone know how far out production allocation has been determined? I'm trying to estimate the possible ETA. Has June or July build slots been allocated yet? What's the latest others have seen?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Latest allocations I've heard are for June build with July delivery.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Seems to me that the indication of PTS on the Meteor auto show car's Monroney sticker/info board forced the PTS option for the US market. Opening the option to the very few changeable allocations available within a 10 day window is hardly a marketing or financial decision; to me it comes across as more of a legal decision.

Considering the March deadline and 6 month timeframe Porsche advises for PTS, I do believe we will see the next generation Boxster this calendar year. Whether they call it a 2012 or 2013 remains to be seen.

Cayman, best of luck with Suzuka. I would not be surprised, however, if the PTS options are limited.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:23 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Smile

Update:
Dealer just emailed me to confirm that they managed to get me a build allocation. I'm not sure what month though. I'm waiting to hear back. PNCA sounds like they are going to approve Suzuka too! They have already looked up the codes and ask me which Suzuka Grey I want. Apparently there is a solid and a pearl version. My last car was the pearl and although the solid sounds nice, I don't want to risk it without seeing the real deal.

This is my final order:
-Suzuka Grey Pearl PTS
-Black Interior
-Black Spyder Wheels
-Standard Exhaust (I transfer my existing PSE)
-Manual with Sport Shifter
-Full Leather
-Alcantara Package
-Sport Bucket Seats w/ Crest in Headrest
-Guards Red Gauge Faces
-Xenons
-Radio Delete
-A/C Delete
Old 03-21-2011, 10:27 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts
Default ordered and allocated

congrats on getting Suzuka! Nothing like being able to get exactly what you want
not sure how you're getting crests in the headrests with sport buckets, isn't there a big hole there for the harnesses to go through?

Originally Posted by Cayman
Update:
PNCA sounds like they are going to approve Suzuka too! They have already looked up the codes and ask me which Suzuka Grey I want. Apparently there is a solid and a pearl version. My last car was the pearl and although the solid sounds nice, I don't want to risk it without seeing the real deal.

This is my final order:
-Suzuka Grey Pearl PTS
-Black Interior
-Black Spyder Wheels
-Standard Exhaust (I transfer my existing PSE)
-Manual with Sport Shifter
-Full Leather
-Alcantara Package
-Sport Bucket Seats w/ Crest in Headrest
-Guards Red Gauge Faces
-Xenons
-Radio Delete
-A/C Delete
Old 03-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JSF101
congrats on getting Suzuka! Nothing like being able to get exactly what you want
not sure how you're getting crests in the headrests with sport buckets, isn't there a big hole there for the harnesses to go through?
Here's a shot of my car with sport buckets.

Yeah the car is still at the dealer, just sent the paperwork today.

Cayman congrats, that is a great build!

If you ever sell I may be interested since I would have built nearly the same car (without the Alcantara) and with the radio and ac added back in.

Glad someone was successful, hopefully we'll see at least one or two more.
Attached Images   
Old 03-21-2011, 11:39 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JSF101
I have have them on my current Spyder:
Old 03-21-2011, 11:43 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Here's a shot of my car with sport buckets.

Yeah the car is still at the dealer, just sent the paperwork today.

Cayman congrats, that is a great build!

If you ever sell I may be interested since I would have built nearly the same car (without the Alcantara) and with the radio and ac added back in.

Glad someone was successful, hopefully we'll see at least one or two more.
Thanks Marine,
Question now is when. I too hope others take advantage of PTS. With only a week order window it's going to be a small number. Another reason I wanted to jump on it.

I specced it identical to my current Spyder but added:
-factory black wheels
-red gauge faces
-Alcantara steering wheel, shifter and e-brake.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:43 AM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts
Default order guide

guess I should have paid more attention to the order guide (re crests on the headrests)

also, noted that price increased by $500 on Spyder and cocoa, natural gray and natural brown leather are no longer available on 987s and atlas gray not avail, replaced by Porsche Racing Green as a special color

but you can get natural espresso leather on 997s
Old 03-22-2011, 01:21 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman
Thanks Marine,
Question now is when. I too hope others take advantage of PTS. With only a week order window it's going to be a small number. Another reason I wanted to jump on it.

I specced it identical to my current Spyder but added:
-factory black wheels
-red gauge faces
-Alcantara steering wheel, shifter and e-brake.
FWIW, hope that you have seen the red gauge faces in person, it is one of the love it or hate it options.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:27 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
FWIW, hope that you have seen the red gauge faces in person, it is one of the love it or hate it options.
I love it!

As mentioned earlier by JSF101... Porsche has updated the configurator to reflect the 2012 changes. PTS is also added, but there is a error when you select it. It forces you to add some weird option that cost $9999 on top of the $5500 price
Old 03-22-2011, 03:37 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good going!
congrats, nice spec.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

The only downside to the alcantara is that it doesn't wear well on surfaces which you touch frequently like the shifter and steering wheel. Oil and dirt from your hands will eventually build up in the material (couple years) and will leave a shiny spot in the areas you touch. The solution is to wear driving gloves at all times.

Note that this problem doesn't occur in the seats since you're clothes will not be oily but if you wear shorts and use sunscreen it can be a problem.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your car!

I like the red gauge faces, it matches the seatbelts and loops!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice interior photos Afshin! Any exterior photos of your Basalt beauty? Now you just have to get her home so you can start enjoying the driving season!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:44 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Interestingly, Speed Yellow and Peridot are both back on the Cayman R, Peridot now available on the Cayman S (ordered one Saturday).

Quick Reply: PTS... Get it while you can...