Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greetings

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:59 PM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Greetings

Greetings to all of you 987 folks! I'm new to the modern water-cooled side of the Porsche world, having just taken the plunge yesterday. A (relatively) new Spyder will soon be coming home to keep the rest of my vehicles company while putting a HUGE smile on my face!

Many of you who have been searching for cars or keeping tabs on what is available in the market will recognize the particular car I purchased - it has been offered by Porsche of Monterey for a little over 2 months now. After looking it over at the dealership 2 or 3 times in those past few months, I finally committed to it yesterday.

The car is Carrera White with the Red Full Leather interior. Sports buckets. 6 speed. Bi-Xenons. Stereo & AC. One option that had me hesitating was the fact that the original purchaser opted for the 997.1 Turbo style wheels. I didn't really like this style when it came out on the 997, and given how much I like the look of the stock Spyder wheel, it was an issue for me. I managed to overcome these feelings enough to buy the car and order a set of Spyder wheels at the same time. I also am having a PSE sourced by the dealer at the same time - those additions will basically give me my ideal Spyder.

I will be picking up the car next week - probably before the wheels & exhaust come in, but we'll see. Not a big deal as the Monterey dealer is only about 20 minutes from home. I will post requisite pics once the car is home.

Given the situation, I will soon have a set of 997.1 Turbo style wheels, sized for the 987, available for purchase. The car has all of 250 miles on it, and while I haven't inspected the wheels to the n-th degree (yet), I expect that they are in "As-New" condition. I will include the 5mm wheel spacers that are installed on the car as well with the wheels when sold. I will post a "For Sale" ad with price and all when these officially come up for sale.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Congrats Steve, can't wait to see more pics with the Spyder wheels installed. I too was debating about this car, good list of options and it will be perfect once you have the Spyder wheels on it. Looking forward to getting your driving impressions compared to the 993TT.

Would also love to see some pics of the M6, I'm a huge fan of these cars.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:58 PM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Afshin -

Thanks for the message. I liked the option package as well - a few "exclusive" bits that add a little character like the white gauge faces..... After reading through others impressions, I was really wanting the PSE, so figured with the $$ this car was being offered at, I could afford to add the PSE after-the-fact.

As I stated before, the Spyder wheels were a must-have for me.

I liked the bucket seats but really needed to get buy-in from the lovely lady who I hope will ride with me on those weekend jaunts. After trying them out yesterday, she said that they would be "do-able" - not great but better than the Recaros I have in the 911.

The Turbo is an almost other-worldly car. The previous owner did many upgrades - turbos, brakes, GT2/RS suspension (plus) with PSS-9s. It does everything to excess (at least in my limited view) in a good way. Two very different cars (the Turbo vs. the Spyder), and that's really what I was after - a different experience from what I already had. The Spyder will be a daily car - I demand something that's fun-to-drive, as life is too short to drive boring cars (IMHO).

Here are a few M6 pics from the 2008 Pacific Sharkfest in Sonoma, CA wine country..... I've had the car almost 11 years and fall in love with it every time I drive it! Royal Blue Metallic with Beige seats and dark brown leather dash. Fikse FM-10 wheels to replace the TRX-sized stockers. Dinan springs & Bilsteins for the suspension. About 120K miles on it at this point. My first 6-series was an old 633CSi that had a red interior. I grew to like the color and that is what made the Spyder interior attractive to me.
Attached Images   
Old 01-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

My favorite color combo for the M6, very very nice and beautiful condition to boot!

Enjoy the Spyder in good health!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:15 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist. You have a nice collection of cars there.

Be sure to join us when we pass through Monterey in 3 weeks.

http://www.babblers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12162
Old 01-23-2011, 06:20 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 929 Posts

caronsd,
Congrats!!! Be sure to register your new Spyder on www.dspyda.com
It's a little site I made for us Spyder owners.
Enjoy your new baby!
D.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:27 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on picking up such a great car. If you don't mind me asking, what did your dealer quote for the PSE and installation? Contemplating doing the same thing.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:11 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! the wheels and PSE were issues for me as well in addition to my preference for a black interior. the used Spyders are actually turning out to be great deals if it comes in a spec similar to what you're looking for.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Caronsd: Congratulations on the Spyder. To clarify a point, yout exterior color is called Carrara White (like the famous Carrara white marble from Italy) and the interior of your car is called 'Carrera Red' (like the 1950-1954 Carrera Panamericana of Mexico, where Porsche borrowed the name for all its special engines, models and now even some leather colors!). Lance G. showed me that car at Monterey. It is a nice one, although I am not partial to the Turbo wheels. See you around Carmel and/or Monterey. z356
Old 01-23-2011, 10:34 PM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the good wishes!

bensf - I'll let you know the $ details on the PSE in a day or so - they're going to put the figures together for me tomorrow.

z356 - Thanks for the corrections (really) - I'm a stickler for detail and appreciate knowing the "correctness" of my spellings. Lance took a number of hours with my wife & I yesterday to get the deal done. The wheels were the big problem for me too. They are on their way out. May see you around town - I'm up in the wilds of North County....

Quick Reply: Greetings