Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Boxster Spyde Color?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 07:20 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,697 Likes on 934 Posts

Marine Blue, I added those photos to the site. Also note that it has black carpet with red mats! Another option not available yet. I agree that it look more like meteor grey than platinum.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by force4rmr
Agree ....my money's on meteor grey.
+1

My Dad had a meteor grey 928S years ago, and I've also seen a Cayman S in meteor grey.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Mystery solved!!!
http://www.dspyda.com/dspyda/News/En...odel_Year.html
Old 01-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman
That's paint to sample! That means it is available.

Damn that's an expensive Spyder, crazy options on it.

Going to be tough ordering PTS without going for full leather.....this car just gets more and more expensive.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:40 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That's paint to sample! That means it is available.

Going to be tough ordering PTS without going for full leather.....this car just gets more and more expensive.
Well either PTS is available or they made a special car for the show.

As for the cost of full leather, you could always try selling a kidney on eBay ...just kidding!

Best regards,
Dino
Old 01-16-2011, 08:59 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dino944

As for the cost of full leather, you could always try selling a kidney on eBay ...just kidding!

Best regards,
Dino
Possibly, but why would they associate a price on the cost break down if it was special for the show? IMHO I think PTS is available for 2012, I called and left a message with my dealer to confirm. I'm thinking about ordering a replacement... Is that crazy? Suzuka Grey with Black wheels, mirrors and intakes would look awesome!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dino944

Best regards,
Dino
That would be a tease!

Possibly, but why would they associate a price on the cost break down if it was special for the show? IMHO I think PTS is available for 2012, I called and left a message with my dealer to confirm. I'm thinking about ordering a replacement... Is that crazy? Suzuka Grey with Black wheels, mirrors and intakes would look awesome!
Suzuka would look great on the Spyder. I wonder when they will start building the 2012, later this year? I have no problem waiting if I can get exactly what I want.

My dealer is placing a call to his rep on Tuesday and I should know more then. Let me know what you're dealer says.

Incredible how much we have to speculate with these cars, why can't Porsche just establish timelines and stick with them like every other car company.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:38 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Judging by the price of the paint - it has to be PTS. $5500! The premium colors are normally about $3200. BTW, the base price of the car has gone up and some of the options have also gone up in price - even for the newer 2011 cars.

Cayman - If I knew you were selling your car so soon, I would have waited... I haven't finalized the paperwork yet
Old 01-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Well hopefully we will know what the deal is regarding PTS on Boxster Spyders very soon. Good luck with your potential replacement.
Best regards,
Dino
Old 01-17-2011, 04:30 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

IMHO I think PTS is available for 2012...
Seems to be the case. Surprising that they waited this long to make it available...I'm sure they missed out on some profit. That said...
Originally Posted by Marine Blue
...why can't Porsche just establish timelines and stick with them like every other car company.
...I'm sure Porsche is going through some major changes right now with VW's increasing involvement. With all of the 'special editions', it sure seemed like 2011 was the last year for the 987/997. But with the introduction of the Cayman R as a 2012, and now evidence that the Spyder will continue, perhaps VW wanted to make some last minute changes to the upcoming platform.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I just finished a call with my local Porsche dealer who checked again with PCNA...no paint to sample for the Boxster Spyder...in spite of what is being shown at the Detroit show the color displayed is not, and will not be available in the USA...nor will the the other options that show is configured with...
Old 01-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
I just finished a call with my local Porsche dealer who checked again with PCNA...no paint to sample for the Boxster Spyder...in spite of what is being shown at the Detroit show the color displayed is not, and will not be available in the USA...nor will the the other options that show is configured with...
Talk about a tease and huge disappointment. My dealer hasn't responded yet but I'm sure they will be confirming the same information later this week.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:06 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

I have yet to hear back from my dealer on this.

It could be:
1. The Spyder hasn't switched to 2012 MY yet and until it has, PTS isn't available.
2. Porsche just decided to tease us with Meteor and the same standard colors will be offered for 2012 MY.
3. The Spyder is only a 2011 MY model and they decided to showcase Meteor to go with the rest of the cars in the show and the Spyder will be discontinued for after the end of 2011 MY.

I don't get why they offer so many colors for the Cayman R and so little for the Spyder.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:32 AM
thatguitarplace
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

confimed by porsche uk
pts available july 2011 onwards
Old 01-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thatguitarplace
confimed by porsche uk
pts available july 2011 onwards
Who confirmed it?

I've been told that it isn't available.

I did note that if you go to the build your own on the website, none of the cars are currently available with PTS which could mean that they have a large backlog at the factory and won't accept new orders until they're caught up.

The bigger problem is this, when is the Spyder production going to end? Some say that allocations are going to remain very limited and that Porsche doesn't have plans to increase it but at the same time why would they advertise the car at the show if supplies are limited?

I'm about to place a deposit on an allocation and I want to be certain that PTS won't be available in the US before proceeding but at the same time I don't want to lose the slot to build what I want.

Quick Reply: New Boxster Spyde Color?