Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW 1M Coupe v Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Lima
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW 1M Coupe v Cayman S

Interesting info here with some text from an internal BMW doc -> http://ausm.tv/3y

“The Porsche Cayman S, on the other hand, is marketed exclusively as a sports car, with its mid-engine concept, rear-while drive and precise steering providing the brand’s trademark handling as well as excellent driving dynamics. Accordingly, the chassis is geared towards a sporty driving experience, with less focus on comfort. Despite its lower weight, the Porsche with its 235 kW boxer engine cannot quite match the BMW 1 Series M Coupé in terms of acceleration.”
Old 12-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's tough to objectively measure fun and driver satisfaction.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:24 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Lima
Interesting info here with some text from an internal BMW doc -> http://ausm.tv/3y

“The Porsche Cayman S, on the other hand, is marketed exclusively as a sports car, with its mid-engine concept, rear-while drive and precise steering providing the brand’s trademark handling as well as excellent driving dynamics. Accordingly, the chassis is geared towards a sporty driving experience, with less focus on comfort. Despite its lower weight, the Porsche with its 235 kW boxer engine cannot quite match the BMW 1 Series M Coupé in terms of acceleration.”
what's the point? u buy porsche b/c they accelerate fast?
a bmw will never be a porsche.
neither one of those cars can out accelerate Z06 and Z06 aren't that much more money, if at all.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Alos
Instructor

I agree with the two comments provided. For most people I know who own a Porsche be it a Cayman, Boxster, 911 or some other model, Porsche ownership is the fulfillment of a lifelong dream. Some of my happiest moments included sitting in my old 944 watching fireworks during the 4th of July. Now my 944 was nowhere near as fast as an M3 of it's day, but that wasn't the point, it was about the way the car made me feel. I get that same feeling of Joy when driving the current generation of Porsche cars, I have felt no such attachment to any BMW.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:55 AM
studdgart
Track Day

Maybe I can offer some perspective. I have owned numerous BMWs and Porsches.

Right now I have a 2011 BMW 135i with the DCT transmission. I also have a 2011 Base Cayman with a 6 speed manual.

The 135i is going to offer about 90% off the performance that that the 1M will offer. The 1M will definitely handle better. Anyway a 135i DCT is a beast. It will do 60 in under 5 seconds, some people claim 4.5. THe 135i is a lot of car for the money. I have had mine 5 months and I really like it. It is faster than my base Cayman in a straight line. It makes over 300 foot lb of torque from 1200 rpm all the way up to 5 or 6000 rpm. There is no need to rev this engine. It has a lot of torque from the get go.

I have had the Base Cayman 1 month. I enjoy it far more than the BMW. It is just more fun to drive.

There is no substitute.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Mowse
5th Gear

Default 1M

I am one of the lucky few who has an order for a 1m. I placed it in January and since I was the first at my dealer to do so am the ONLY person to get one as they have only one allocation.

A month later they called to tell me my build date would not be until October meaning November or December delivery. since I would garage the car that means I could even drive it til April 2012 (Ohio weather)!!

I then bought a cerified 2006 CS with 21k miles and LOADED with options from my local dealer. Spending $12k less than the 1M will cost.

I have not cancelled my order yet but am 90% sure I will. I need to see a 1M in the flesh before I decide wether or not to trade the CS in and get the BMer.

The reviews are coming in and it's suposed to be a monster of a machine. Plus, it will be extremely exclusive. But I can't have both as I'm not rich.

I'd love to sell my allocation and make a buck on the deal.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

My 1M is completed and waiting for a boat. I should have it in about a month. I drove my friends 335is and really liked it. The 1M should just be even better, especially with the suspension from the M3. It should be a fun little car. I am considering the Cayman R, but need to see some road tests first. I'm sure the Cayman R will be great, but it will be $20-30K more. My 1M is coming in at about $50K, not bad really.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:38 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

cayman r tests are starting to surface right now. looking pretty good actually..
Old 04-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Mowse
5th Gear

the 1M is a performance steal. I'm torn on keeping my order or keeping my CS
Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

My 1M is at the port, release date May 9th for all U.S. Cars. I should have it by middle of next week. I can't wait. It has been getting really good reviews.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:52 AM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mowse
I am one of the lucky few who has an order for a 1m. I placed it in January and since I was the first at my dealer to do so am the ONLY person to get one as they have only one allocation.

A month later they called to tell me my build date would not be until October meaning November or December delivery. since I would garage the car that means I could even drive it til April 2012 (Ohio weather)!!

I then bought a cerified 2006 CS with 21k miles and LOADED with options from my local dealer. Spending $12k less than the 1M will cost.

I have not cancelled my order yet but am 90% sure I will. I need to see a 1M in the flesh before I decide wether or not to trade the CS in and get the BMer.

The reviews are coming in and it's suposed to be a monster of a machine. Plus, it will be extremely exclusive. But I can't have both as I'm not rich.

I'd love to sell my allocation and make a buck on the deal.
I think that you are going to have a very hard time parting with your CS. With that being said you are sitting pretty to make the best decision possible. Enjoy your CS till the decision day comes
Old 05-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Acceleration?!

Originally Posted by Lima

BMW should just stick to their knitting which has served them so well. Would like to add that all these "1-ers" look a little off with that shorty wheelbase.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Can't get past this Victor's scrunchie posture!

Originally Posted by Riz
My 1M is completed and waiting for a boat. I should have it in about a month. I drove my friends 335is and really liked it. The 1M should just be even better, especially with the suspension from the M3. It should be a fun little car. I am considering the Cayman R, but need to see some road tests first. I'm sure the Cayman R will be great, but it will be $20-30K more. My 1M is coming in at about $50K, not bad really.
Do enjoy BMWs. Another well built Kraut machine. My mother has a 2 -year old 323 Coupe that moves down the road pretty damn good.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:27 PM
opus
Instructor

Those who ordered the 1M, did you get it yet? If so, how about a write up or review?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:51 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

worked for bmw, the 135 is an awesome car, fun for the back road, great on the highway, and has a fricken trunk, face it, not many cars you can say that about anymore.

the cayman is more of a sports car. the 1m though, nasty. drove one 2wks ago. it's only slightly more powerful than a 135, 340hp vs 300hp. but it weighs less and has an m3 suspension under it. wait about 2months or less and they'll be over 450hp out running m3's

Quick Reply: BMW 1M Coupe v Cayman S