Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price Check - 2008 Boxster Limited Edition

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 02:34 AM
Dmitri
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price Check - 2008 Boxster Limited Edition

My wife has her eye on a 2008 Boxster Limited Edition (non-S). Local dealer in Long Beach has one listed for just under $42k with about 7k miles on the clock. Edmunds says TMV dealer retail on this car is about $37k. I'd appreciate any thoughts about a realistic price for this car.

Thanks in advance.

Dmitri
Old 10-27-2010, 02:51 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

With winter approaching ( well maybe not in California) you could get a 2009 "orphan" or 2010 "leftover" for pretty close to what the '08 would be- as long as it's not just the "special edition" that's ringing your bell.

Try dealers in the snow belt and turn it into a trip and a purchase.

BD
Old 10-27-2010, 03:07 PM
stab1991
Advanced

for a little more, get a left over 10 base with the ims less engine. plus 1.9 percent financing.

But if thats the price ceiling you have, they should be willing to deal
Old 10-27-2010, 03:18 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good advice above. I also see NO reason for any type of a price "premium" for a 987 'limited edition'.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:01 PM
stab1991
Advanced

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Good advice above. I also see NO reason for any type of a price "premium" for a 987 'limited edition'.
True, especially considering you move up to S brakes on the newer base models, just anodized black instead of red.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmitri
My wife has her eye on a 2008 Boxster Limited Edition (non-S). Local dealer in Long Beach has one listed for just under $42k with about 7k miles on the clock. Edmunds says TMV dealer retail on this car is about $37k. I'd appreciate any thoughts about a realistic price for this car.

Thanks in advance.

Dmitri
Well, the market is what the market is, but I can tell you in 2008 the market was very soft and there were huge discounts on all 2008 Boxsters, Caymans, and the special edition RS60.

I shopped various dealers in northern CA (and checked the inventory/prices at some larger southern CA dealers) and could have bought a new Cayman or Boxster under $40K. Similar savings were available for both the Boxster and Cayman S models. (Heck I could have bought an 08 911 Cab for $30K under list.)

At one dealer I was offered a new 2008 RS60 for around $55K (list was over $70K) and was told -- by the salesman -- I could probably get it for a few thousand dollars less cause the dealer was willing to negotiate to sell its oversupply of 2008 models.

As it was I bought a new 2008 Cayman S for $12K off of sticker, getting the car for just over $50K and getting a better than market trade-in allowance for my 06 GTO.

Nearly impossible to know for sure, but based on my recollection of how soft the market was in late 08 and early 09 -- I bought the Cayman S in early April -- for new 08 cars, but it could very well that car you are considering sold new for less than its asking price is today.

Thus I would venture an opinion that unless there is a line of buyers at the dealer mobbing a salesman and waving wads of cash trying to buy that car, you should be able to buy the car for less than that $37K number.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:54 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,190 Likes on 1,478 Posts

I have the Design Edition 2 Boxster S, which they made 500 worldwide and brought 32 into the US, and 18 into Canada for a total of 50 units in North America. Sticker on my car was $ 72.6K and I bought it new from the dealer for $ 54.7K, almost exactly one year ago. (it was the last run of Gen 1 987's and built on Nov 2008)...

It has 8 more HP from the factory than the standard Boxster S, plus a whole lot of other items from the options bin including some GT3 pieces, and came with a very expensive Porsche Design watch unique to this project.

What's it worth? Good question....with only 32 cars in the USA, its worth what the market will bear *IF* someone wants this particular model. If you just want a Boxster S, then shop for a plain white one. I've yet to see the first one come up for a resale - so the price is really determined by market availability and demand. One of those 32 owners has to want to sell......If someone came along and wanted mine, I might sell it - but for me to build a 2011 the same way (More or Less) would cost $ 76K on the Porsche USA website. Mine has 7,300 miles on it and about $ 3K in upgrades I put on it, so I'd want at least $ 50K for it because I'm not really looking to sell it. However, you can buy an '08 plain Boxster S for high $ 30's or low $ 40's of same vintage and similar miles.

Porsche over-played the "Limited Edition" theme in recent years, but one never knows which models and series are going to 'catch on' and which ones will simply be used cars. Look at the '55 - '57 Speedster, which was the 'economy' model to the 356 Cab. Now days its worth 2x as much. There's theres the RS America, which I still don't see commanding huge prices, but they do. And so on and so on....
Old 10-29-2010, 08:56 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^WOW! Great purchase price, Dr. Very smart.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:23 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

I just did a quick search on "ebay" for 2008 Boxster just for a quick comparison to see what they are going for.

What caught my attention are two RS60 Spiders and one 08 Limited edition.

The two RS 60 both used have ~8k miles on them but asking price is in the 62-65k range. The Orange limted edition with 10k miles is asking 38k.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:31 PM
djmiroku
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoever is trying to sell an RS60 for anywhere near $60k or more is either very hopeful or very stupid, or maybe both.

I was recently offered $42k for trade in on my orange Boxster S, so dealers are trying to get high $40's for them I believe. I've seen a few private party sales at lower prices, such as a few months back someone on 6-speed online sold their orange S at $38k because he wanted to move it quickly, which he did.

I would imagine that you could get a non S from a dealer for right around $40k without too much hassle, but to get one for substantially less than that I imagine you'd have to wait for someone doing a fire sale.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

the orange ltd editions are nice looking but not a lot of extras on them imo. they do look hot though
Old 11-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by djmiroku
Whoever is trying to sell an RS60 for anywhere near $60k or more is either very hopeful or very stupid, or maybe both.

I was recently offered $42k for trade in on my orange Boxster S, so dealers are trying to get high $40's for them I believe. I've seen a few private party sales at lower prices, such as a few months back someone on 6-speed online sold their orange S at $38k because he wanted to move it quickly, which he did.

I would imagine that you could get a non S from a dealer for right around $40k without too much hassle, but to get one for substantially less than that I imagine you'd have to wait for someone doing a fire sale.
I agree RS60s in the 60+ range sounds rediculously optimistic and those cars won't sell in that range. I have a 2008 RS60 with 1,650 miles and it listed for $72K and I can't imagine if I were selling or trading being able to get anything close to the high $50s. Obviously mileage, condition and options play a part in resale price, and the RS60s and PDE were very heavily optioned compared to the orange cars. But also an important part of price/resale is color. I know there are people out there that love orange (yellow, lime green, etc) on a Porsche, but for some people its an instant deal breaker. I think its fun to see cars in colors other than red, black, silver, or white, but I know I just would not buy an orange or yellow car. So for a dealer orange might not be considered a quick easy sale, at least not compared to red or black. Therefore, a dealer might price an orange car differently or be more willing to negotiate on an orange car than a black one.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:49 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dino944
I have a 2008 RS60 with 1,650 miles and it listed for $72K and I can't imagine if I were selling or trading being able to get anything close to the high $50s.
Ok Dino. I think it's time for you to get in that car and put some mileage on it Winter is around the corner.

I already have 3200k on mine.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cas951
Ok Dino. I think it's time for you to get in that car and put some mileage on it Winter is around the corner.

I already have 3200k on mine.
Hey Cas,

I have really been enjoying the car. Unfortunately I had about 7-8 weeks where I could not use the car, the road around me was all torn up for construction. So it was just daily drivers for a while. Then I lost a week of driving when the Mrs & I traveled to Carmel with friends, to go to the Concorso Italiano and Pebble Beach...but that was an amazing experience and well worth it. I saw several cars in person that I had only since in magazines or on the net. I promise to enjoy putting on some more miles before the car goes into hibernation for the winter

Glad to hear you are enjoying your PDE2, and I love the avatar of the car on the track!

Best regards,
Dino
Old 11-03-2010, 12:55 AM
djmiroku
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, looking back on my decision 3 years ago to buy a bright orange Porsche sometimes I wonder about my sanity (as do my friends and family), but hey what's done is done, and I still love the car!!

Cpa4S, I disagree that it didn't come with a lot of extras. I mean the last time I tried to calculate the options cost of all the things on this car I figured it'd cost around $90k to custom spec a new Boxster S to look like the Orange LE.

Quick Reply: Price Check - 2008 Boxster Limited Edition