Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Porsche Owner... New to site

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:48 PM
GarrettF
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Porsche Owner... New to site

Hello.

New to the Porsche world. Been in the BMW world for a long time but ran into a Porsche Boxster S I couldn't walk away from after driving. My car didnt come with an owners manual but thanks to the :search: function I was able to find what I was looking for.

I got some basic newbie questions so please no flame.

I turn the car on and it says serv required, what kind of serv is it talking about and how do I reset it?

Is there a place to find the factory navi manual online?

It is probably a good idea to get an oil change since I really do not have a service history on the car right? Anyone got any recommendations in/near NYC?

Will a dealership be able to get me a service history?

I do not have any history with any Porsche dealers, if I go in for service do they offer loaner cars, even if I didn't buy from there?

I will post some pics tomorrow...
Old 10-26-2010, 12:01 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still new and still have questions and some answers from a fellow newb.

If you just got your car, take it to a dealer for a workup. If they did not do the pre purchase inspection, you may want them to do so now. It is not too expensive and very thorough. It will also tell you what that light is for.

They can pull all records based on the vin, if performed by a Porsche dealer. Also look in your manual, they would stamp it when serviced.

Yes, get oil and filter changed no matter what the seller said. Any Porsche dealer.

They will give you a loaner if you schedule and they have some. But no telling what the loaner will be. It may be a Porsche, maybe not, maybe nothing (a shuttle).

Check renntech.com for your manual. Not sure.

Go to suncoastparts.com they have a vin lookup service that is free, tells you cool stuff about your car. Form is online.

Last edited by cannon1000; 10-26-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:01 AM
The Race Line
Intermediate

Welcome to the Porsche world, as well as to Rennlist.

There are a ton of great people here as well as wealth of information. I will try to answer some of your questions.

1st the Serv light means that it is due for a service, which could be as easy as a check up and reset, and could also end up costing a bit more depending on what they find.

There is no way that I am aware of to manually turn this light off, but someone else might have a solution for you on that. I would find a reputable shop near you and have a complete checkup done.

I would change out all of the fluids and don't forget the transaxle, while you are in there.

A dealership may have some records of work done by other Porsche dealerships, but it seems unlikely.

Some dealerships will offer you a loaner, and others will not. Call around and ask.

I look forward to seeing your pics and please let me know if I can be of any help to you.

Erik Johnson
(303) 895-4828
Old 10-26-2010, 12:03 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Oh yeah, join your PCA club immediately. Saves you 10% at the dealer and is totally worth it.

Pca.org
Old 10-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Oh yeah, join your PCA club immediately. Saves you 10% at the dealer and is totally worth it.

Pca.org
I've occasionally seen coupons (that require PCA membership) on dealer websites for discounts on parts or accessories, but I don't think I've seen anything saying 10% discount at the dealer. Is this 10% whenever the car gets serviced if you are a PCA member(which I am), or is it in conjunction with occasional coupons? Just want to know for the future. Thanks.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 10-26-2010, 12:35 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Well, on my limited experience...one of the dealers I have gone to here in Atlanta told me it was 10% discount for PCA members.

They did my PPI and were very nice introducing themselves and what they can do for me as a Porsche Owner. They did not care that I did not buy the car from them (I was using their lobby to buy it from an individual after they did the PPI actually).

Maybe that is just a per dealer decision???
Old 10-27-2010, 07:34 PM
GarrettF
6th Gear

here are some pics.. it has been raining so i havent had a chance to take some myself...
Also...

Do I need special tools for a brake fluid flush?
Attached Images      
Old 10-27-2010, 08:00 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Nice Car! Looks immaculate. Black wheels on the white car look tuff.

I'd see what the dealer can find first - if it was serviced regularly they should be able to find that based on the VIN. Get the PPI (pre purchase inspection) done at a porsche dealer. I personally wouldn't worry about the Brake Fluid if it looks ok and the level is ok. I don't think flushing it (unless you are changing pads & rotors too) is really necessary. Others may disagree.

I do believe in getting the engine oil changed ASAP - you never know how old that is and it is too important. Tranny fluid - maybe. If you are close to a service interval, then just wait and do it then...if you just passed one, then you might want to get that service done in case they sold it instead of getting it serviced (common).
Old 10-28-2010, 11:07 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice car!

If you could tell us a little more we might be able to give you some more accurate info

1. What year is the car?
2. Where are you located?
3. How many miles on it?

Welcome.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:02 PM
00r101
Racer

Wow. That's a very non-factory color combo. The sand beige interior usually comes with a sand beige steering wheel, SB shift boot and SB hand brake lever. Someone went to a lot of trouble to change them.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:40 PM
GarrettF
6th Gear

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Nice car!

If you could tell us a little more we might be able to give you some more accurate info

1. What year is the car?
2. Where are you located?
3. How many miles on it?

Welcome.
NYC
Old 10-28-2010, 03:43 PM
GarrettF
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 00r101
Wow. That's a very non-factory color combo. The sand beige interior usually comes with a sand beige steering wheel, SB shift boot and SB hand brake lever. Someone went to a lot of trouble to change them.
I thought the same thing when I first saw the car but shrugged it off. What is really weird is according to VIN when the dealer ran the car to see what options were factory installed the readout didn't have the NAVI or the Sport Exhaust listed. But the car has the sport exhaust and NAVI.

I do have 2 questions about the NAVI/TEL/MAIL.

1. Is that a sim card slot on the radio?

2. What does the Mail button do? How do I get it to work?
Old 10-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Racer

Yes, that is a sim card slot.
Mail button? I don't follow.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:39 PM
GarrettF
6th Gear

On the radio. One of the buttons says MAIL between. TEL and NAVI I think.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:34 PM
GarrettF
6th Gear

I looked over on renntech and checked out the PCM manuals they have available there. My PCM is almost identical to the cayenne manual posted there not the PCM 2. Does that make sense?

Quick Reply: New Porsche Owner... New to site