Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reset Service Interval

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 10:05 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,268 Likes on 1,496 Posts
Default Reset Service Interval

Anyone know if its possible to reset the service interval reminder in the 987 short of sourcing a Durametrics cable?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:51 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like no one has the answer here. At what mileage did this come on? I'm curios myself and about to purchase the Durametric tool.

BTW: I normally hang out in the 986 Forums or Babblers for Boxster related topics. There's more traffic there than here.

http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisp...p?s=&forumid=5
http://www.babblers.org/index.php? There's a guy here name Pedro who runs a small shop in Florida. Really helpful. Also has a lot of DIY writeups. http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site/Technolab.html

Another place is here Renntech: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?act=home
Old 01-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Anyone know if its possible to reset the service interval reminder in the 987 short of sourcing a Durametrics cable?
When the service warning came on shortly after I bought my new Cayman S I had the dealer clear/reset it.

I watched the process and it is complicated. One has to use KWP2000 to "wakeup" and then talk (communicate) with the Comfort bus (CAN) to communicate with the instrument cluster controller and clear/reset the service warning message.

If you had service done a while back and it has come on this indicates that it wasn't reset when you had the car in for service and the dealer/shop owes you this reset/clear.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 AM
drcollie
Race Car

I was hoping it would be simple like on my wife's GLK350, where you push a series of buttons and it resets, but apparently its not. I pull my own wrenches on my car and do my own service work, so I'll have to look at the Durametrics cable route to turn the pesky reminders off.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:01 AM
00r101
Racer

Durametric will do it. I have one but live in Central PA. Probably better for you to just buy one. I have made good use of mine. It does everything advertised.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:36 AM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I was hoping it would be simple like on my wife's GLK350, where you push a series of buttons and it resets, but apparently its not. I pull my own wrenches on my car and do my own service work, so I'll have to look at the Durametrics cable route to turn the pesky reminders off.
Check with a local indy shop or PCA members/sponsors, and try to build a relationship with them. Once you've built a good working relationship with the shop manager/tech, some usually don't have problems resetting service reminders and what not.

Most Euro cars today require specialize software for service reminder rests. Like your wife's GLK, my 1998 Audi A4 service lights can be reset using a sequence of buttons on the console. But even Audi has changed that on their newer cars (2000 and beyond) requiring specialize software to reset service reminders. I have a Ross Tech cable for my Audis and have been holding off on the Durametric cable later on until I can cost justify the cable/software.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:44 PM
flintworks
Advanced

You have to use a scanner to reset the interval. If you go to the dealer and say you did the service yourself they should clear the message for free. Some may want to charge you a half hour labor but if you complain they'll do it for free.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:41 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Assuming this item is not available at Harbor Freight??
Old 03-17-2010, 05:32 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Cleared it this weekend on the first oil change with the Durametrics cable. That's the only way for the DIY crowd.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Cleared it this weekend on the first oil change with the Durametrics cable. That's the only way for the DIY crowd.
So you bought the cable? Where and how much?

Quick Reply: Reset Service Interval