Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Happened to Cayman Club Site?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 06:08 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default What Happened to Cayman Club Site?

Hi,

I used to frequent CaymanClub.net quite a bit. But took a prolonged sabbatical lately.

Just went back there today and found nothing but advertisements on their home page. All the headline blurbs are basically infomercials.
And they call themself Planet 9 now (not too long ago it was Porsche Planet).
http://www.planet-9.com/

Does Ken Smiley still own that site, or he sold it also? (Internet Brand again??)

I could not even find the forum pages amongst the neon-bling ads anymore.

Education please.

CP
Old 12-01-2009, 06:17 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Hi,

I used to frequent CaymanClub.net quite a bit. But took a prolonged sabbatical lately.

Just went back there today and found nothing but advertisements on their home page. All the headline blurbs are basically infomercials.

Does Ken Smiley still own that site, or he sold it also? (Internet Brand again??)

Education please.

CP
http://www.planet-9.com/forums/

As far as I know, Ken still owns it, but yes, it has morphed into a lot more than just Cayman stuff.

Brian
Old 12-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Bodhii
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure why you found things so difficult. There have been some new sections added and expanded, but the same Cayman Club people, info and topics are still there under the same headings. "Boxsters" have been added to most of the "Cayman" discussion titles.

Ken still owns it. The name changes occurred because Porsche threatened law suits over the Porsche copyright related names. It seems that the copyright laws require the name holder to show a history of actively enforcing its name rights even with company friendly users.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:39 PM
KS-CS
Racer

You can minimize all the ads and announcements on the home page, and other pages if you don't want to look at them, and it will stay that way unless you log-out or clear cookies on your browser.

The site was expanded to include the other recent models (Boxster, 997, Cayenne, Panamera). It is still the best/most informative site for Cayman owners, IMO.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:09 AM
gemars
3rd Gear

Several of the core moderators, inc SantaFe, Beez and GatorBite started a new Cayman Registry with PCA blessings. I think you can get there through pca.org
Old 05-30-2010, 12:35 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I just found out about the caymanregistry.com, which I like a lot more. IMHO Planet-9 became a place that sponsors just took over, replying to all discussions with purpose to promote and sell products, which is a turn off for me. So, the registry web site and forums looks great to me, my new home
Old 06-01-2010, 01:14 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Now that I ditched Planet-9 entirely I am free to say. I have long felt that Ken created the site mostly for personal financial reasons. I cannot count the posts where he nudged posters to approach their dealers/tuners etc. to become site sponsors.

Nothing wrong with that I guess. It's just that the car forums I frequented NEVER operated in that mode. It was a personal turn-off for me.

JMHO of course.

CP
Old 06-05-2010, 12:18 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

I agree CP, definitely way too sponsor driven. I just read it for the articles!
Old 06-05-2010, 02:33 AM
rsdarcan
Advanced

Changed to Planet9 and lost its coolness!!!! now I live here!
Old 06-05-2010, 01:41 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Few days I have been using caymanregister.org, it is becoming a very nice place to share ideas and learn; great addition to Rennlist IMO.

Last edited by FTS; 06-05-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: corrected web site address misspelling
Old 06-05-2010, 03:24 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i thought it got better after some of the old snots moved on. ken is up todate and helpful imho.now days you can get an answer instead of "search is your friend"
Old 06-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Wanderer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by extanker
i thought it got better after some of the old snots moved on. ken is up todate and helpful imho.now days you can get an answer instead of "search is your friend"
Have to agree there. I tried posting there for the first time a good while back and got that kindergarten routine as well. I never shared the wealth of info I learned from the experience I was posting about afterward then.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Hi,

Education please.

CP
+1

Quick Reply: What Happened to Cayman Club Site?