Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase Price Advice and Counsel- 05 S

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:00 PM
MAPC
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Purchase Price Advice and Counsel- 05 S

To all 987 Rennlisters-

I could use some advice. I am afraid that I am being pigheaded but need some other perspectives.

I am looking at (and have been negotiating on) an 05 S with 24K miles. It is in my top color choice (black/black/black) and is highly optioned: PCM, Short shift, Bose, Windscreen, Exterior Aluminum (look) package, FULL leather, heated seats. It may have other things as well. It does not have power seats (which is fine with me). Essentially, it is equipped EXACTLY they way I'd spec a new one if I have $75+K to spend on a 4th car.

It is in great condition, all new rubber, no warranty remaining.

What is everyone's opinion of value? I have a number in mind which I am feeling is more and more unrealistic so I could use some doses of sanity before I let it slip away.

THANKS!!!

And thanks for putting up with my personal insecurities!
Old 11-22-2009, 07:01 PM
MAPC
Instructor

Default PS- it has these wheels-

Which are they?
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:30 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What are they asking? That car should be less than $30K. More than 50% depreciation.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:48 PM
MAPC
Instructor

Asking 32. They say that they paid 27 and put another 2700 in it (tires). Seems like an awful lot of money for tires.

I was trying to buy for 27-28 before I knew the above. They said no thanks.

Having said that there aren't a lot of others anywhere under 30 unless high miles, and none are as well equipped.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:58 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Are the tires PS2's? Those are expensive tires. About $350 each for the rears and $275 for fronts. Plus balancing and maybe alignment. This is approx. $ for 18" wheels.

Those could be 19" wheels, and tires cost about about $50 more, each.

IMHO, I would not buy a 2005 987. I'd buy at 2006 and newer. I never like to buy the first model year of a re-do.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:43 PM
MAPC
Instructor

I hear you on the 05 v 06. I just really want to be under 30K so I am willing to consider an 05 that checks out. It is REALLY a nice car. The best I have found an 06 for is 32K but no short shift, no full leather, less appealing color.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:19 PM
MAPC
Instructor

Default Update

Well, the best I have been able to get the 05 down to is $29.500. It DOES have 19" wheels and brand new rubber all around.

I am #2 in line for an 06- similarly equipped but NO full leather but DOES have Sport Chrono. I am hoping that the person in line ahead of me doesn't get approved for financing (does that make me a bad person?) so I can close on this one, otherwise I will push one more time on the 05. I do LOVE the full leather and I prefer the color of the 05, but the 06 is clearly the better value (with the CPO warranty and all).

If anyone knows of anything else out there, please PM me ASAP.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by MAPC
Asking 32. They say that they paid 27 and put another 2700 in it (tires). Seems like an awful lot of money for tires.

I was trying to buy for 27-28 before I knew the above. They said no thanks.

Having said that there aren't a lot of others anywhere under 30 unless high miles, and none are as well equipped.
New tires count for little. New tires simply bring the car's condition up to good or fair (no way an 05 could be in "excellent" condition).

Had the original tires been left on the car a PPI would have found this and you would have then had to factor in the cost of fitting new tires into your offer price.

Let the car either sell or sit for awhile. Let the sellers get tired of the tire kickers and other shoppers with excuses not to buy.

If the car is still available in a couple of weeks -- and it probably will be -- come in and make an offer.

If not, if the car gone, there's always another car.

Price not fact only an opinion.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:57 PM
DLennox
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

05 s models are going through the auctions for between $26-28k with mileage under 30k. You can't tell what the equipment is, but that is the auction range. You have to add a few hundred for auction fees, transportation and lot-ready to these numbers and tires if needed. So, from these numbers, getting one for less than $30k doesn't seem realistic. The $32k figure actually seems like a pretty good deal!
Old 11-25-2009, 03:32 PM
MAPC
Instructor

I have gotten them down around 29.5K. It is highly optioned and in excellent condition. Not sure why Macster thinks an 05 can't be in excellent condition. The car has 19" Carrera II's, new rubber (there is clearly value here, no?), PCM, heated seats, full leather, Bose, windstop, colored crests, Xenons, etc. No power seats, no SportChrono.

I am still trying to see if I can get the guy with the 06 to move me to the top of the list but I am optimistic that either way, I will own a 987 S by 12/1.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by DLennox
05 s models are going through the auctions for between $26-28k with mileage under 30k. You can't tell what the equipment is, but that is the auction range. You have to add a few hundred for auction fees, transportation and lot-ready to these numbers and tires if needed. So, from these numbers, getting one for less than $30k doesn't seem realistic. The $32k figure actually seems like a pretty good deal!
+1

If I clicked the right buttons accordingly, Edmunds' is right on the money.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/por...tion=vdpresult

I'd say for $29,500, it would be a steal.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:49 PM
MAPC
Instructor

I checked the same thing---I guess I was trying to be too aggressive! It won't be the first time that I have been accused of that.

I should know about whether I can have the 06 by Monday at the latest. I expect that the 05 will still be there by then and I am probably willing to take that risk. The fact that the 06 has 2+ years of CPO warranty is the differentiator. Other than that, I actually prefer the 05 but I don't want to pass up a warranteed car if I don't have to.

Can't wait to start driving though - I don't remember enjoying driving a car more than when I am in a 87 S. Better than either 911 that I have owned (73 S Targa and 2000 996).
Old 11-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

I have gotten them down around 29.5K. It is highly optioned and in excellent condition. Not sure why Macster thinks an 05 can't be in excellent condition. The car has 19" Carrera II's, new rubber (there is clearly value here, no?), PCM, heated seats, full leather, Bose, windstop, colored crests, Xenons, etc. No power seats, no SportChrono.

I am still trying to see if I can get the guy with the 06 to move me to the top of the list but I am optimistic that either way, I will own a 987 S by 12/1.
4 to 5 year old car with 24K miles. Not excellent condition. Good at best.

However, visit www.kbb.com and enter details of car and when you get to the place where you have to select excellent vs. good vs. fair condition read the requirements for an excellent car and if the car meets all those requirements then assign it an excellent condition classification and pay the excellent price.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:20 PM
MAPC
Instructor

I appreciate the response but I still struggle with why a 4-5 year old car couldn't be in excellent condition. Since that category exists on kbb, it must be possible, no?
Old 11-26-2009, 12:24 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

I appreciate the response but I still struggle with why a 4-5 year old car couldn't be in excellent condition. Since that category exists on kbb, it must be possible, no?
No. With dealers at least it is not possible in almost all cases.

Sometimes with a private sale it is possible in very unique cases.

Quick Reply: Purchase Price Advice and Counsel- 05 S