Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking the Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 09:45 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracking the Boxster

A friend of mine at work is looking at buying the new Boxster Spyder. He wants a convertible and he also wants to get out on the track. Plans on taking some driving courses and doing some DEs and AutoX.

I told him I don't think he could do anything but street drive with the Spyder roof because it doesn't look like it would clear a roll hoop.

Thoughts on the Spyder's roof?

At what events can you drive a Boxster at "as-is," without a roll hoop. DEs? AutoX?

Is a roll hoop about all that's necessary for him to add to a Boxster for it to be eligible for "lapping days" (no timers or competitive passing)?
Old 11-19-2009, 05:26 AM
nano111
Track Day

Here you could do PCA, Chin, PBOC, SCCA autoX. Check with your local clubs there should be a number of groups he could run with.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:31 AM
ChuckG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

You may be able to run without the top up and use the BK roll bar extension and arm restraints.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:18 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nano111
Here you could do PCA, Chin, PBOC, SCCA autoX. Check with your local clubs there should be a number of groups he could run with.
He could do all that with or without the roll bar extensions?

What is a good price on those BK roll bar extensions and arm restraints?

He's thinking about buying a used Boxster to get started and then selling it in 2 or 3 years. What sort of things should he look for in a track worthy and resell worthy Boxster? With the track in mind, is there any specific year mark to buy newer than because of factory changes?

Obviously the S is faster than the "regular" Boxster but were there any changes to it that make it a more reliable track car? Things like stronger suspension pieces, stronger wheel hubs, improved oil pan baffles/coolers/pressure regulators? Is anything specific prone to breaking at the track?

Thanks In Advance!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:59 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "S" has bigger motor, more hp, better (bigger) brakes -all things that are noticable on the track.

You might also want to check "track requirements" about convertibles. In Va, at VIR, they won't let you run a convertible with the "factory" rollhoops. A Boxster MUST have a BK bar. Cabs need a fixed rollbar as well. Just sayin.

If your friend has never tracked before, or never owned a fantastic sports car like the boxster, its not always about HP. Many of the better track/race drivers learned in LOW hp cars. Again, just sayin.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:13 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

^^ Completely agree! I started out with an 83' 944 and SO FAR its been a much better track car than my 944 Turbo!

How new and low miles does a car have to be to be CPO'd?

Last edited by porschefig; 11-19-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:49 PM
gerrygug
Instructor

NASA Pro Racing events have DE days. Boxsters are allowed in the DE's with top and windows down. Stock boxster roll bar is allowed. Here is the link:http://www.nasaproracing.com/
Old 11-21-2009, 11:29 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrygug
NASA Pro Racing events have DE days. Boxsters are allowed in the DE's with top and windows down. Stock boxster roll bar is allowed. Here is the link:http://www.nasaproracing.com/
It still depends on the track, though. NASA, SCCA and PCA don't have any rules prohibiting Boxsters with stock rollbars, but some tracks (like VIR) require BK extensions to prevent the car from submarining if rolling on soft ground.

Porschefig, BK rollbar extensions are about $750 new, but I've heard people finding deals on used bars on ebay or craigslist for as little as $250. I've yet to find one that cheap, though.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:02 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw one for $499 with optional pads listed on the member to member Rennlist classified.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:42 PM
00r101
Racer

BK make different bars for 987 and 986. Make sure you know which before buying used.

Quick Reply: Tracking the Boxster