Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Speed Yellow or 06 Guards Red?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Bigslick
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Speed Yellow or 06 Guards Red?

First time poster here.

I plan to buy a Boxster next week and currently undecided between these two options.

(1) 05 Speed Yellow with navigation, Sports chrono, 6 sp manual, power seat, black interior. Certified preowned with 48K miles.

(2) 06 Guards Red with no noteworthy add-on. 5sp manual. Certified preowned with 33K miles. but is $4000 more than the option 1.

I am slightly leaning towards red over yellow, but I like the options added to the yellow one (nav and 6sp particularly). then there is a matter of the red one being 1 year younger and 15K miles less but it is $4K more but with less options added.

taking all these variables into account, what are your expert(?) opinions?

Would a yellow color have more adverse effect on the resale value as opposed to a red color?

your thoughts and input would be much appreciated!
Old 09-13-2009, 03:06 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would take the guards red one. Mainly beacuse:

1) I don't like buying the first year of a model year (987.1= 2005-2008)
2) Buy a Garmin- better than Porsche's and cheaper
3) Less miles
4) The 2006 should have smart air-bag technology- much easier to put a child in the fron seat (based on your State laws)
5) Porsche made an IMS improvement in the 2006 MY
Old 09-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Bigslick
3rd Gear

hm.... IMS and RMS issues, which I just learned and been reading about for a few hours (scary stuff), make the 05 speed yellow a dud.

so if the VIN indicates the MY to be 2006, it is safe to assume that it has a "beefier bolt" in the IMS?
Old 09-13-2009, 06:05 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigslick
hm.... IMS and RMS issues, which I just learned and been reading about for a few hours (scary stuff), make the 05 speed yellow a dud.

so if the VIN indicates the MY to be 2006, it is safe to assume that it has a "beefier bolt" in the IMS?
The RMS is not a huge issue for the 987, like it was for the 986. Plus, it's only an oil leak, with about an $800 repair bill. Pretty small in the real scope of things. If your build date is after Q1 in 2006 you are pretty safe with assuming you have an improved IMS. The build date is on the door sticker, listed in "month" and "year".

Don't sweat it too much, since you have the CPO too. A CPO costs the dealer about $1,500-2,000....plus the inspection time and any necessary repairs for the CPO.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

get the 6 speed - the 05 should have at least 2 years cpo warranty
Old 09-14-2009, 01:55 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 820 Likes on 453 Posts

I'd go with 6 sp and options vs guards red with 5sp and min options. Yes you can get a Garmin but with PCM 2.1 already in the car you're way more upgradable in case you want nav later and want to add bluetooth or something like SAT (uses Cayenne module) or ipod to the car. Don't sweak the extra miles although I do usually say/hear folks say buy the car with least miles on it that has the most of what you want option wise. As folks have said CPO should cover you pretty well. Finally as for color and resale values most folks will tell you never add that into your equation on purchase as you don't know what the market will be in 2-3-4+ yrs when you're looking to shop the car. It's like trying to predict the stock market now...you have no idea where you'll be in that equation and it'll come back to where you are now currently with your purchase..what does some respective buyer think your car is worth regardless of what you paid for it or what it has. BTW speed yellow seems to be a pretty low #/rare color combo with Boxsters and Cayman so that may help or hurt you resale value as well as be an arguing point to request more $$ off the 05 car from the dealership! Good luck!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:32 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S or non S is the biggest difference.

tino
Old 09-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Bigslick
3rd Gear

thanks for all your input. I got the 06 Guards Red one yesterday. 05 Speed Yellow did not qualify for Porsche 2.9% financing on used cars so it was no brainer at the end.

This replaces my Audi A4 Cab, which was nice, but man... Boxster is so fun to drive.

I never owned a manual car but used to have a sportsbike with 6spd tranny so I was surprise myself how well I can drive the stick shift.

Quick Reply: 05 Speed Yellow or 06 Guards Red?