Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Steve40
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman S upgrades

Picking up my 2007 Cayman S next week. The car will be my daily driver but i will be tracking the car regularly, (10-12 events a year). The car has standard suspension, which i was going to upgrade to maybe adjustable bilstein's and an exhaust system upgrade, was thinking fabspeed. Wondering what your thoughts are on the best upgrades for my purposes. The car also has 18's, but am happy to keep those to reduce tyre replacement costs.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Dave DE
Racer

Steve,
Congrats on the new car. One area to think about if you are going to be doing a lot of track days is the wheel alignment. Stock, you probably won't get more than about 1 degree of camber in the front. This puts a lot of wear on the outer edge of the tires. If you lower the car, you can get more. There are also camber plates or GT3 lower control arms that will give you more as well. This will also allow you to reduce the stock understeer. I presently have 2 degrees front and 1.5 rear and no longer have any understeer.

The exhaust is a good idea as it not only will give you better sound but most will provide a worthwhile power improvement as well.

Have fun with the new car, and don't be shy about getting it on the track in stock form. It will do just fine.

Dave
Old 09-06-2009, 04:30 AM
Steve40
Track Day

Originally Posted by Dave DE
Steve,
Congrats on the new car. One area to think about if you are going to be doing a lot of track days is the wheel alignment. Stock, you probably won't get more than about 1 degree of camber in the front. This puts a lot of wear on the outer edge of the tires. If you lower the car, you can get more. There are also camber plates or GT3 lower control arms that will give you more as well. This will also allow you to reduce the stock understeer. I presently have 2 degrees front and 1.5 rear and no longer have any understeer.

The exhaust is a good idea as it not only will give you better sound but most will provide a worthwhile power improvement as well.

Have fun with the new car, and don't be shy about getting it on the track in stock form. It will do just fine.

Dave
Thanks for the advice Dave. Will definetly track it as standard, then do things progressively.

Quick Reply: Cayman S upgrades