Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping from Germany | Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:08 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shipping from Germany | Question

I'm in the process of moving from German to the US and part of the process of ensuring my car meets the US DOT/EPA requirements is to verify my car has the environmental decal which is similar to the type that is in the drivers side door sill.

Does anyone know where I would look to verify I have this decal on my car? The shipping contractor states the last two Porsches they processed didn't have the decal and the owners had to contact Porsche to have ones sent. I'm just trying to make sure I have everything done in a timely manner so I can ship her our on the 10th of this month

Thanks in advance
Old 09-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
I'm in the process of moving from German to the US and part of the process of ensuring my car meets the US DOT/EPA requirements is to verify my car has the environmental decal which is similar to the type that is in the drivers side door sill.

Does anyone know where I would look to verify I have this decal on my car? The shipping contractor states the last two Porsches they processed didn't have the decal and the owners had to contact Porsche to have ones sent. I'm just trying to make sure I have everything done in a timely manner so I can ship her our on the 10th of this month

Thanks in advance
Try posting this question on www.ppbb.com. There have been a few posts of late about moving Boxsters between Europe and USA and the other direction. I didn't follow posts well enough to be a reliable source of info.

But ask your question and I'm sure someone can advise you of what you need to do.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:29 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I know of a Ferrari 599 that was recently imported directly from Italy to Miami. Ferrari told the importer that all of their cars are built to be able to be programmed to US spec quite easily. The shop that "converted" the vehicle had to change many settings in the ECU through the factory scan tool but aside from that it was supposedly a very easy thing to do. I wonder if Porsche has engineered similar controls?
Old 09-06-2009, 11:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
I know of a Ferrari 599 that was recently imported directly from Italy to Miami. Ferrari told the importer that all of their cars are built to be able to be programmed to US spec quite easily. The shop that "converted" the vehicle had to change many settings in the ECU through the factory scan tool but aside from that it was supposedly a very easy thing to do. I wonder if Porsche has engineered similar controls?
Probably. Porsche can't afford to make USA and ROW cars. But car needs appropriate stickers/documentation to be brought into USA.

One needs to find out what is required for the locale where one lives and will be driving the car. In CA car has to pass emissions/smog check. If car has had exhaust or other mods it may not pass.

A letter on Porsche letterhead stationary with the right words might suffice. I'm sure this is not the first time this subject has come up so Porsche probably has all the paperwork ready to send out. All one has to do is ask the right person as Porsche. Or just knowing the stickers needed and that they're in place could suffice.

Best to know beforehand everything and have it in triplicate.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:23 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I imported my Fiat from Italy last year and the car made it to my door with the previous owners social number equivalent listed as the cars serial number. Amazingly nobody picked it up on either side of the ocean or at DMV here.... The car is over 25 years old so nobody really paid attention. You would not be so lucky on a modern car...
Old 09-07-2009, 05:35 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Thanks.

Car is US spec, being a US military member has it's privileges too!
Old 09-07-2009, 05:37 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
.... The car is over 25 years old so nobody really paid attention. You would not be so lucky on a modern car...
Well that's why. It's perfectly legal to import cars that are 25 years of age or older. There is no converting/testing needed to be done to 'meet' any US DOT/EPA standards.

Quick Reply: Shipping from Germany | Question