Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better than a base 911?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:04 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Better than a base 911?

So, what do all you Cayman lovers think? Is the S better than a base 911? Or, is it just in the "eye of the beholder"? I drove one and thought it was too confining < I might have have had a claustrophobic experience > after driving a 911 for 8 years. Maybe I just need to get back to the roots of an early 911. I have not counted it out.

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Dave DE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard other people make similar observations as you on the interior feel, so you are not alone. I guess it's just what you are used to. I really enjoy my CS, especially on the track. I find it very stable and controllable, overall an easy car to drive fast. But that's just my opinion - nothing wrong with a 911 either.

Dave
Old 06-28-2009, 12:49 AM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

I feel completely at home in the cockpit of my Cayman S. Check out the Cayman Club for their "impressions" and you'll get very strong opinions favoring the Cayman. Go to the 997 forums here or elsewhere and the Cayman is clearly the second fiddle in the lineup. Don't think "better" is really the right question. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of threads debating the "better" question, whether it's 911 versus Cayman or Vette or GT-R or R-8 or whatever. What do you like? What are you using it for? It's like going to a garage sale, one person's junk is another's treasure. I like the looks of a Cayman better than the 911 and I'm not overwhelmed by more horsepower. I don't trade cars every couple of years. Having driven the 911 and 911S at PSDS recently, I'd like to have one but...would be just as happy in a new Cayman or Boxster.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:25 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

6th p-car including 997 and the cayman is the best driver yet, particularly as a DD. I love the engine behind me (rather than axle) and the two trunks it allows. I had many people (kids) in the rear of the 911's but seldom ever for a second time. Much less of a GT experience.

Jack
Old 06-29-2009, 08:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,658 Likes on 2,326 Posts

dertub, drive one for a while to see if you like it at all. some will never like them.
beside CGT, GT3, GT3, i will take a cayman S over any current porsche offerings. that includes turbo.
and you know how many GT3's i have had!

but i also know many ppl who just dont like cayman period. so you got to figure this one out yourself!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:17 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

My son loves his Cayman S and I enjoy driving it everytime he lets me!
Interior does feell tighter than a 911 but I'm used to a 914 (with the firewall RIGHT behind you) so 911's feel wide open. The Cayman feels as tight as my GT3 did, just obviously not as fast... lots of them here at the parade and they look GOOD...
Old 07-01-2009, 12:37 AM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by skl
My son loves his Cayman S and I enjoy driving it everytime he lets me!
Interior does feell tighter than a 911 but I'm used to a 914 (with the firewall RIGHT behind you) so 911's feel wide open. The Cayman feels as tight as my GT3 did, just obviously not as fast... lots of them here at the parade and they look GOOD...

4.1 0-60; not much slower. (-%

tino
Old 07-02-2009, 06:49 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dertub
So, what do all you Cayman lovers think? Is the S better than a base 911? Or, is it just in the "eye of the beholder"? I drove one and thought it was too confining < I might have have had a claustrophobic experience > after driving a 911 for 8 years. Maybe I just need to get back to the roots of an early 911. I have not counted it out.

Thanks.
+1 on the claustrophobic feel.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:52 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

I moved out of an 06 Cayman S into an 09 C2S Cab. Needs and interests change, but I thought the Cayman was a terrific car, a true Porsche without reservation. I enjoy the 3.8L engine, PDK, and alfresco driving w/ the C2S, but the Cayman was more nimble and easier to drive fast w/ confidence. The 997 is a far cry from older 911s in terms of rear weight quirkiness, but with so much power on tap driving technique is still important. The 997 has a larger interior than the Cayman, but if you compare the Cayman to an early 911 you'll realize that the Cayman isn't cramped, people have just gotten larger! There's no right or wrong answer, just pick what works best for your needs.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Deanriffs
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by soltino
4.1 0-60; not much slower. (-%

tino
I believe the manufacturer spec is 5.1, not 4.1 for 0-60 mph for the Cayman S. Still plenty quick for most of us to get in trouble, though.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:17 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
+1 on the claustrophobic feel.
+1 here as well, no room, especially for legs. I did a free Porsche track event and couldn't believe how compact the interior was, and I already thought my 997 was small.

The 0-60 time is nice with the PDK, largely because of the PDK, but I think you'll still be disappointed for acceleration within the gears (for example, how much ooomph you get out of 3rd gear when accelerating onto the highway). There just isn't the same joy from getting your good numbers from fast shifts vs. torque or HP.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Old School
3rd Gear

I traded in my 2002 Turbo for a 2009 CS. I have been waiting many years for the CS to include LSD and a new engine design--2009 is that year. My CS odometer just turned over 2000 miles so I finally unleased the hounds. This is a car that I find to be more fun than any car that I have owned. Wonderful balance of power to weight. I agree with the earlier poster that I prefer it over any other car manufactured by Porsche. I have owned many 911 variants and the CS is really something special and I cannot understand why anyone would buy a 911 after driving a CS with two exceptions--there is a tighter cockpit feeling that larger people may find uncomfortable either physically or emotionally, or they do not like the look/design of the car.

And did I mention the sublime sound of the exhaust and sub-3,000 lb. weight? Marvelous and elegant driving experience. Warning: not suited for anyone who likes the acceleration of a Corvette.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:48 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Old: I've read very few reviews of the new dfi and lsd. Any additional thoughts to share ??

Jack
Old 07-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Old School
3rd Gear

Jack,

The DFI enabled engine delivers power very smoothly. I cannot say specifically about the DFI itself. I have a pre DFI 3.4 L engine converted to my Boxster race car. When comparing the two, the new DFI 3.4 is hands down quieter, torquer, and smoother. The new engine design with fewer casting parts and no intermediate shaft is a real blessing.

The LSD should be standard, but this is Porsche---they would charge for a steering wheel if they could. Wait a minute, they can--- I paid $510 for a thicker steering wheel on my CS. I would not have this car without LSD. I have noticed good stability in the wet with LSD. Other than that, I cannot say any more at this point. If you drive agressively or in wet and/or snowy roads, mechanical LSD speaks for itself. The fake electronic LSD is to be avoided. I also have LSD on my Boxster race car, but it was far more expensive as it was a purchase from Porsche racing division. I cannot tell any difference between them at this time.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

No way - the Cayman has great balance but it doesn't have the depth of even the base 911. The Cayman is a good car, it would have been even better if they just move the engine back a bit. It is a good car if you already have a 911. I would get a 911 first( even a pre-owned one).

Quick Reply: Better than a base 911?