Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S Clubsport???

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:45 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcar964
The 964 RS America was about $10k cheaper than a standard 964 C2.
Although it is sometimes considered a desendant of the RS or Clubsport offerings, the RS America was more of a stop gap for an entry level car for the US market alone. It did not feature many of the special feautres normally associated with the RS, GT nor CS lineages.

It doesn't stop it from being desireable, and probably the least depreciating Carrera of it's vintage.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:26 PM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoke to my dealer yesterday about this. He has recently received his allotment of Caymans for the rest of the calendar year, and it doesn't show any "specials", just the base and S models.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:07 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,120 Likes on 2,883 Posts

The 1988-89 Carrera 3.2 Clubsport had a slightly upgraded motor and cost the same as a base 911.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:41 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

may issue car&driver . . . cayman s clubsport coming later this year . . . will lose 200lbs . . . removal of interior trim and options and use of aluminum and composite body panels and lighter wheels . . . fixed rear spoiler . . . start at about $70k.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

I hope the Cayman Clubsport is more than a Cayman S with the currently available Tequipment spoiler kit, Carbon Bucket Seats, PCCB Brakes, LSD, forged alloy Turbo wheels and a few standard features deleted.

Aluminum doors and rear hatch, a trick suspension kit, dry sump conversion of the A91 engine along with a 911 Carrera RS approach to weight savings probably won't happen.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:51 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

I doubt Porsche wants to offer a Cayman CS that is $90K when a GT3 is $112K. The likelihood that Porsche will re-engineer the 9A1 for dry sump oiling seems quite low, particularly if it's for the Cayman rather than the GT3 or Turbo.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by djcxxx
I doubt Porsche wants to offer a Cayman CS that is $90K when a GT3 is $112K. The likelihood that Porsche will re-engineer the 9A1 for dry sump oiling seems quite low, particularly if it's for the Cayman rather than the GT3 or Turbo.
I share your doubts as well.

However, looking at the A91 engine, I note that the entire engine oiling system, including the chain driven oil pump can be removed from underneath with the engine still in the car!! It would be very easy to redesign the oil pump and sump to become a true dry sump. A "kit" could even be designed to convert existing A91 engines without removing the engine.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
may issue car&driver . . . cayman s clubsport coming later this year . . . will lose 200lbs . . . removal of interior trim and options and use of aluminum and composite body panels and lighter wheels . . . fixed rear spoiler . . . start at about $70k.
that would be nice.

the non DFI caymans CS, i have seen in person at US dealers. it's no differnet than the regular cars. few alcantara things here and there. i dont care about those. i want a car 500lbs less then what we have now. that's all is needed.

it's unfortunate PAG wont put GT3 engine in cay s. i would pay $150 - 180k for one and over my RS for sure.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:18 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,120 Likes on 2,883 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
that would be nice.

the non DFI caymans CS, i have seen in person at US dealers. it's no differnet than the regular cars.
But Mooty, you're forgetting it has 8hp more
Old 06-06-2009, 03:58 PM
_rocket
Racer

Originally Posted by Cupcar
However, looking at the A91 engine, I note that the entire engine oiling system, including the chain driven oil pump can be removed from underneath with the engine still in the car!! It would be very easy to redesign the oil pump and sump to become a true dry sump. A "kit" could even be designed to convert existing A91 engines without removing the engine.
Nice. Has anybody done that yet?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I thick Porsche should try a Cayman S Clubsport for pure test marketing reasons. They could do a small batch of 300 - 500 cars with 3.6 liter from the Carrera, take off about 100lbs, include all the performance options(limited slip, sport exhaust), make PCCB, PASM, and PDK optional. They can try charging Carrera money. I don't think it is a big expense for them, and it will really energize the whole Cayman line. I would still keep my Carrera because it had back seats, would still keep my GT3 as my track 911, would still keep my Boxster as roadster. I don't think a limited run would cut into Carrera sales.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by _rocket
Nice. Has anybody done that yet?
Not that I know of, here is a drawing of the removable oil sump containing the chain driven oil pump that bolts to the bottom of the A91 DFI engine. This could easily be turned into a dry sump system, in fact I think it would be even simpler, and lighter, but a location for an external oil tank would have to be created.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:14 PM
_rocket
Racer

Yeah it would be simpler and lighter. I think an external tank could be located in the front trunk or use a GT3 tank and attach it to the engine. What do you replace the stock sump-plate with? If I understand correctly, I think true dry sump pans are V-shaped.

Having said all that, the 9A1 engine is probably a true dry sump anyway, because notice the two black cans in the pic (oil collection points)? Those cans are located OUTSIDE of the crankcase so they are probably external tanks.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by _rocket
Yeah it would be simpler and lighter. I think an external tank could be located in the front trunk or use a GT3 tank and attach it to the engine. What do you replace the stock sump-plate with? If I understand correctly, I think true dry sump pans are V-shaped.

Having said all that, the 9A1 engine is probably a true dry sump anyway, because notice the two black cans in the pic (oil collection points)? Those cans are located OUTSIDE of the crankcase so they are probably external tanks.
A new casting could create the requisite shape to funnel oil to the scavenge pump for the crankcase.

The two black cans are what Porsche calls "air oil separators", they are not holding tanks, oil is free to slosh around the entire casting. There is a complex sheet metal pieces below the crankshaft that scrapes oil of of the crank and makes it difficult for oil to move up into the crankshaft space.

The design is not a true dry sump though.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:48 PM
_rocket
Racer

Thanks for the clarification.

I've just been re-reading the press pack about the 997.2, here is what it says about the pump:

The compressed oil pump runs on a shaft with the four suction pumps in the vicinity of the oil sump and is driven by a chain directly from the crankshaft. Two suction pumps extract oil from each of the two cylinder heads and feed it to the oil sump where a new baffle plate largely separates the crankcase and the oil sump from one another to reduce splash losses in the crankcase as well as the formation of oil foam in the sump.

So, that's definitely a wet sump and the pump is a 4-stage oil scavenge pump. To convert to dry sump with an external tank, I think a 5-stage pump would be needed (the 5th suction pump to extract oil from the sump).

How many stages does the GT3 pump have (I know this can't be used but just wondering how many)?

Quick Reply: Cayman S Clubsport???