Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Cayman S or Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:54 PM
michaelscain
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Porsche Cayman S or Boxster S

Hi,

I am trying to decide whether to get a Porsche Boxster S or a Cayman S.

My first question is; Has anyone driven the 987S and Cayman S back to back?
What are the differences?

I have read many reviews of both cars but have never read a direct comparison between both. I am aware that the Cayman S has a better more focussed chassis, but then the Boxster s has won many road tests because it also has a very good chassis. Then again i am also aware that you can get PASM on the Boxster s which gives it more focused Cayman like driving experience. I cannot comment here as i have not driven a Cayman s against a 987S fitted with PASM.

Because both the Cayman s and the Boxster s can be bought for the same price on the second hand market, choosing one over the other is now a real choice for anyone who could only afford the Boxster.

Also, which is interesting is that the 3.4 litre Boxster S came out during the second part 2006 while the Cayman s was being sold at the start of 2005. This means that that the second hand prices of both cars are now the same. Is it worth getting the Cayman s because of its excellent and far superior chassis or can you argue that the Boxster s is the better buy because it also allows top down driving which gives you another dimension. Is the Cayman s chassis significantly better than the Boxster s? Also is the Cayman S 3.4L engine notitably different to the Boxster S 3.2L?

Cheers

Michael

PS on BBC2 at 7.30 Tonight there is a program called "How Porsche Made There Millions"
Old 01-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Jim in St.Louis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having owned a base 05 Boxster and a base 07 Cayman, I would strongly suggest that you should decide if you want a convertable or a coupe. The Cayman I bought has a six speed, sport package etc. and the boxster didn't. My Cayman handles rings around the Boxster without the upgrades in the suspension, but it is kind of apples and oranges. The suspension features are available on both cars, so just buy the one you like the best. You cannot add the factory sport exhaust system to an 05 or 06.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Jim above; coupe versus soft top. The 3.4-liter Caymans and Boxsters seem about the same in performance except for the Cayman's stiffer chassis.

The first '06 Caymans weren't available for purchase in the U.S. until January '06.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cayman and boxster are 1 second apart on the track.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:19 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think that you would really appreciate much difference in performance/handling in every day driving - IMO, it really boils down to whether you want a convertible or not.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I like coupes and my wife hates convertibles. Made it an easy choice for me...

If I lived in San Diego again, I would have got a Boxster though. I already have a hardtop car.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:25 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you intend to track the car there is no appreciable difference in street handling / performance.

As stated above it boils down to whether you want a convertible or a coupe.

For track get the CS. For street if you live in an area that has nice weather get the Box
Old 01-23-2009, 12:38 PM
equ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tested Boxster S's and Caymans back to back multiple times before settling on the cayman. I didn't feel the benefit of the stiffer suspension per se for my street driving... The big thing for me was the stiffness of the car, this I felt. The roads are rough around here and the cayman felt more solid to me. Not to say the boxster isn't solid, but it didn't quite feel as awesomely one piece as the s2000's and z4's I tested, but I ruled those out for other reasons. That coupled with northeast weather, the cayman looks and the fact that I don't really like sunlight all that much made it an easy decision for me.

The paper difference will surely be very small, but the "feel" difference, both in turn-in and over bumps is there.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:37 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you will or even might track your car, bear in mind that apart from any performance difference (which IMO is inconsequential), some DE organizers (e.g., BMWCCA, ACNA) and/or some tracks prohibit convertibles without cages, harnesses & appropriate seats.

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayman S or Boxster S