Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Porsche going for the gay raver demographic?
Yes - Porsche is out of the closet
34.33%
No - Porsche is sticking firmly with the metrosexual customer base
65.67%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

It really IS the Gayman...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:12 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What was the question?
Old 12-29-2008, 07:51 PM
porschepet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JohnnyBahamas

WOW !! Now that will do
Old 01-02-2009, 03:47 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I must admit that I find the world of stereotypes quite amusing, but what really amuses me is that there are some who let stereotypes influence their car buying decision. One of my coworkers told me that he took the CS out for a test drive and really liked the car's handling and performance, but he wasn't going to buy one. When I asked why, he told me that only queers drive Caymans. Initially I thought that he was joking, but it became apparent that he was really serious.

Let's look at some of the stereotypes. Corvettes are only owned by fat, balding, middle aged men who are undergoing a mid life crisis, and need a vette to renforce their masculinity. Porsches are only owned by men with small penises who are looking to compensate for their inadequacies. Everyone knows that a Boxster is either a girl's car or is purchased by someone who can't afford a real Porsche. And finally a Cayman is a queer's car.

So since I've been the owner of a vette, three 911s, and a Boxster, I must be a fat, old guy with a small ***** who is financially challenged. Moreover, pcar964 can probably psychoanalze my wording and prove that I'm queer.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:04 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast1
I must admit that I find the world of stereotypes quite amusing, but what really amuses me is that there are some who let stereotypes influence their car buying decision. One of my coworkers told me that he took the CS out for a test drive and really liked the car's handling and performance, but he wasn't going to buy one. When I asked why, he told me that only queers drive Caymans. Initially I thought that he was joking, but it became apparent that he was really serious.

Let's look at some of the stereotypes. Corvettes are only owned by fat, balding, middle aged men who are undergoing a mid life crisis, and need a vette to renforce their masculinity. Porsches are only owned by men with small penises who are looking to compensate for their inadequacies. Everyone knows that a Boxster is either a girl's car or is purchased by someone who can't afford a real Porsche. And finally a Cayman is a queer's car.

So since I've been the owner of a vette, three 911s, and a Boxster, I must be a fat, old guy with a small ***** who is financially challenged. Moreover, pcar964 can probably psychoanalze my wording and prove that I'm queer.
Another amusing thing about stereotypes, they're usually based on observable facts. So the next time you see a gay hairdresser, a tall black basketball player, or a liberal college professor, you'll be forgiven for thinking it's more than a mere coincidence.

Nobody on this thread has said anything negative about gays. It's the people who feel the need to "defend" the Cayman from the "queer car" stigma who are insecure.

And your friend who liked the Cayman but didn't buy it because he thought they were for queers? He's pathetic. Be a man and buy the car you like and make no apologies for it. And that goes for your opinions too - if you think the Cayman is a girly car aimed at women and metrosexuals, and that bothers you because Porsche used to make hard-core sportscars for real enthusiasts, DON'T be afraid to voice that opinion. I'm not. And I'd say a Porsche forum is probably the place to discuss the direction of Porsche and their target audience.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,626 Likes on 2,311 Posts

^ i never understood stereo type
i immigrated to USA from mars in 1980.
my skin color is bright purple with orange body hair.
i have had boxster s, cayman s, just about every type of 911 made after 1978.
what you drive doesn't make who you are and vice versa.
drive/buy what you like and be jolly.

happy new year.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:17 AM
fast1
Race Car

And your friend who liked the Cayman but didn't buy it because he thought they were for queers? He's pathetic. Be a man and buy the car you like and make no apologies for it. And that goes for your opinions too - if you think the Cayman is a girly car aimed at women and metrosexuals, and that bothers you because Porsche used to make hard-core sportscars for real enthusiasts, DON'T be afraid to voice that opinion. I'm not. And I'd say a Porsche forum is probably the place to discuss the direction of Porsche and their target audience.

Although I can't present any data to substantiate my belief, I expect that there are lots of people who refuse to buy a specific car because of its image. A car that I really like but never had the pleasure of owning is the Miata which is classified as a girly car. The only reason that I didn't buy one is because there are just too many incompetent, inattentive drivers on the road, and therefore owning such a small car is risky IMO.

My point is that I don't assign masculine/feminine/homosexual characteristics to a 3K LB+ conglomeration of metal, plastic, rubber etc. Moreover, what does it mean to be masculine or feminine or homosexual? I had the privilege of serving in the Marine Corps, and let me assure you that some of the toughest and bravest people that I had the pleasure of serving with were females.

Bottom line is that stereotypes are bogus, and even if there were some truth in stereotypes, assigning traits to a chunk of metal or plastic is ludicrous.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:26 PM
porschepet
Intermediate

Default pcar064

I personally do not know of any gay Cayman owners .The gay's I do know mostly drive BMW's though.

Last edited by porschepet; 01-05-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:31 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by fast1

Although I can't present any data to substantiate my belief, I expect that there are lots of people who refuse to buy a specific car because of its image. A car that I really like but never had the pleasure of owning is the Miata which is classified as a girly car. The only reason that I didn't buy one is because there are just too many incompetent, inattentive drivers on the road, and therefore owning such a small car is risky IMO.

My point is that I don't assign masculine/feminine/homosexual characteristics to a 3K LB+ conglomeration of metal, plastic, rubber etc. Moreover, what does it mean to be masculine or feminine or homosexual? I had the privilege of serving in the Marine Corps, and let me assure you that some of the toughest and bravest people that I had the pleasure of serving with were females.

Bottom line is that stereotypes are bogus, and even if there were some truth in stereotypes, assigning traits to a chunk of metal or plastic is ludicrous.
What is the percentage of tall black men playing in the NBA? Stereotypes are not necessarily bogus. And by the way, making a blanket statement that "stereotypes are bogus" is itself an attempt at a stereotype.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:24 AM
jlr
Rennlist Member

What is the percentage of tall black men playing in the NBA? Stereotypes are not necessarily bogus. And by the way, making a blanket statement that "stereotypes are bogus" is itself an attempt at a stereotype.
01-05-2009 12:26 AM
Stereotypes are bogus because they impute the perceived attributes of a group to individuals, who often represent exceptions and -- ostensibly -- deserve to be evaluated on their own merits without reference to stereotypical thinking. Generalization (i.e, a "blanket statement") is a logical operation. The statement "stereotypes are bogus" is not an attempt at a stereotype, but an attempt at a generalization.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:32 AM
porschepet
Intermediate

Default JLR

Bias-related violence against homosexuals is believed to be widespread in the United States, with perpetrators typically described by victims as young men in groups who assault targets of convenience . Victim accounts suggest that assailants possess tremendous rage and hatred; indeed, documentation of horrific levels of brutality has led gay activists to characterize the violence as **** terrorism aimed at all gay men . Other motives for antigay violence suggested in the literature include male bonding, proving heterosexuality, and purging secret homosexual desires . Due to a dearth of empirical research with assailants, motives are largely inferred from victim accounts and a handful of homosexual that desire another mans butthole
Old 01-09-2009, 08:52 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

This thread has gotten weird. Or shall I say queer.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:46 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by porschepet
I personally do not know of any gay Cayman owners .The gay's I do know mostly drive BMW's though.
That is so true
Old 01-09-2009, 04:27 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like Ppet just got a new encyclopedia set!

I think Pcar's point is that stereotypes have a place in our DNA, as well as they are based in more truth than current PC society likes to admit.

In the caveman days, you see a tiger eat your friend and your mind says "all tigers are dangerous". Basic survival instinct.

These days, if you are walking down the street at night and you see a young male, dressed like a gangbanger or hood, hopefully a stereotype kicks in that tells you DANGER, take a different route.

Sterotypes come in positive and negative.
They are not all bad. (eg. "All black men have large penises", or "blondes have more fun"... I don't ever hear anyone complain about these)
Even the negative ones are based in some common observed fact, or they wouldn't be stereotypes.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:09 PM
fast1
Race Car

These days, if you are walking down the street at night and you see a young male, dressed like a gangbanger or hood, hopefully a stereotype kicks in that tells you DANGER, take a different route.

LOL I'd like to see the route you take when you travel to most any large city like Detroit, Baltimore, Philadelphia, NY etc. There's probably a 100/1 ratio of guys who dress like a gangbanger versus an actual gangbanger.

A sterotype isn't the percentage of tall black men playing in the NBA. That's factual and can be documented. A stereotype is that all black men are great basketball players or can jump high or can run fast.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:19 PM
porschepet
Intermediate

Default medtech

YES!!!! I recently bought the whole set of encyclopedia books from a black gay door to door he-she sales person. That should cover it

Quick Reply: It really IS the Gayman...