Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Will DFI be enough to boost Cayman/Boxster sales?
Yes.
20.59%
No.
38.24%
Yes, but only if they make it more attractive price point.
20.59%
Maybe, but price wise it's getting closer to a 997 911 CPO car.
20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Will DFI persuade you to actually commit to either a Boxster or Cayman this year?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will DFI persuade you to actually commit to either a Boxster or Cayman this year?

On the heels of the news that DFI will reach the Cayman S first, and eventually the Boxster S/Boxster and Cayman that beg's a curious quesion.

Will the additional HP bump be enough to make more of you potential buyers out there actually 'commit' to buying and owning the Cayman/Boxster?

As many of you know, Cayman S's are, well, not selling very well. They've not really sold well since the non "S" Cayman was introduced. And slow sales have plagued the Boxster as well. Boxster S's seem to fair better. But not by very large margins.

So here's a poll. I'd love to hear any other idea's that you think would make you consider a new Cayman/Boxster.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:01 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

The upgraded HP and oil sump will. The Cayman does not have a sunroof, it's a plus for me. Just put 996 GT3 seats to save more weight and you have a 300hp + car at about 3000 lbs. Thats great.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by David A
The upgraded HP and oil sump will. The Cayman does not have a sunroof, it's a plus for me. Just put 996 GT3 seats to save more weight and you have a 300hp + car at about 3000 lbs. Thats great.
Problem is there aren't enough clients (such as yourself) to make the car worth while. Car's going to be fantastic; but it's the conquest buyer that Porsche is seeking. Such as potential C63 / M3 clients and everything in between.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

IMO, the Cayman is not selling well because it is overpriced in relationship to the Boxster. I realize the Cayman is the better performer, but I'd rather save $4000 and have the option to put the top down if I want to. So, in regards to your question, I am considering a Boxster S in the future, likely not a Cayman. When are the improved cars going to be 'officially' announced?

Last edited by Jon70; 08-22-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:20 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ Have to agree, it goes back to paying a premium for a hardtop. Hard to make the sale when the rest of the world and Porsche 911's are the opposite.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Jon70
IMO, the Cayman is not selling well because it is overpriced in relationship to the Boxster. I realize the Cayman is the better performer, but I'd rather save $4000 and have the option to put the top down if I want to. So, in regards to your question, I am considering a Boxster S in the future, likely not a Cayman. When are the improved cars going to be 'officially' announced?
Boxster will get the 'upgraded' engine AFTER the Cayman S. Why? I can only imagine b/c it's lack-luster sales.

IMO the car is def. in the wrong category with regards to price point. If they wanted to make a 'cheaper' 911 alternative- it's not getting the job done.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Chris - Not to mention the screaming deal I got, I picked up the Cayman as a nice contrast to my RS4 (instead of going the "conquest" route and buying the Turbo). In a couple of years, I may trade up my Cayman for a DFI Cayman S. As noted by David A above, I could order it with the sport buckets and have a really light, really powerful mid-engined car. I know who to call first when it's time to order one...
Old 08-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Chris - Not to mention the screaming deal I got, I picked up the Cayman as a nice contrast to my RS4 (instead of going the "conquest" route and buying the Turbo). In a couple of years, I may trade up my Cayman for a DFI Cayman S. As noted by David A above, I could order it with the sport buckets and have a really light, really powerful mid-engined car. I know who to call first when it's time to order one...
Thanks brother!! (although I might not be sell'n P whips at that point- but we'll see...lol )
Old 08-23-2008, 05:37 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,747 Likes on 2,353 Posts

a multi link rear suspension, regearable box and topside access to the motor OUTSIDE of the cabin like modena or F430 would do it.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by mooty
a multi link rear suspension, regearable box and topside access to the motor OUTSIDE of the cabin like modena or F430 would do it.
One can wish....
Old 09-14-2008, 10:47 PM
jhott66
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
BINGO!
Porsche's current price strategy is out of whack. It's finally biting them in the ****.
The Cayman is doomed to fail because it makes no sense in the market with it's current price.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:33 PM
JimG
Instructor

I am considering a trade to a new Boxster but not sure if I want to wait until they get the new engines sorted out.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:27 PM
litteng
AutoX

I have been getting closer to buying a 987 boxster(not S). however the news on the new engine seems uncertain, the boxster S will get it but all i've found so far hasn't confirmed the new engine in the boxster. so once the information is clear, i will begin to seriously hunt for my next wheels. due to $ constraint i would prefer to get one with some mileage and reduced price, but if the base model gets the 9A1 engine, i think i my be jumping in sooner than later...
Old 09-30-2008, 09:32 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Problem is there aren't enough clients (such as yourself) to make the car worth while. Car's going to be fantastic; but it's the conquest buyer that Porsche is seeking. Such as potential C63 / M3 clients and everything in between.
There aren't many of those buyers to begin with. If they want them they're gonna have to up the ante with power. Porsche prices hp like diamond carats. Plus, there are the obvious differences... you get back seats and a trunk with those cars. You can only sell the scalpel vs sledgehammer to so many people.

The Boxster and Cayman always shine in reviews so I don't know how much more they can expect. Pricing Cayman more than the Boxster doesn't make sense, never did. Did they actually think people would think they're getting a different car aside from the obvious?

Then there's the sandbagging vs the 911. Everyone knows what the mid-engine Porsche is capable of but they won't do it. Add options to a Cayman S and you're in 911 territory with less power. The sales of these cars are what they are. I believe that's the way it will stay.

And then there's the economy. I would imagine these are tough times to be selling cars, especially expensive cars.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Jim in St.Louis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe Porsche could save face by adding enough standard features to the Cayman so that the price contrast (between the Boxster and Cayman) might make some sense? I just sold my '05 Boxster and bought an '07 Cayman, but find that the differences are greater than I thought. However, I still cannot comprehend the higher price of the Cayman after owning both.
Has Porsche ever attempted to justify the price of the Cayman?

Quick Reply: Will DFI persuade you to actually commit to either a Boxster or Cayman this year?