Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Used Cayman S for Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:13 PM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering Used Cayman S for Track Car

Any recommendations on what to look out for on 2006 models (I'm worried about early production problems, but maybe not an issue given Boxster relation)? I might go higher mileage to get a good deal. Am i crazy?

Thanks,
W
Old 05-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In my opinion, the early CSs had very few teething problems, and any '06 you might consider has likely had any problems experienced fixed under recall (e.g., the "trunk clunk"), or under warranty (e.g., sticking clutch pedal). So I'd consider a '06 CS just as I would any other 2-year old Porsche.

CS as a track car? Do you mean as a dedicated track-only car, or as an occasional track car? I've used my completely stock '06 CS for road, track, and autocross for over two years now with no issues. The only things I change for track is to more track worthy brake pads, brake fluid, and tires. I ordered the car with all the "sport" options with track and autocross in mind. If you plan to make the CS a serious track-only car, you'll probably want to make a few other changes. You can find a lot of discussions about CS mods at caymanclub.net. Be careful with mods.

If you've been tracking the 964 C4 shown, the CS will be faster, and a real joy to track. If you've been tracking a GT3 instead, maybe you should stick with the GT3.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:43 PM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jim. Probably a liberal use of the term "track" as so far i only do DEs. Been doing it for a few years and really enjoy. The car wouldn't be a dedicated track car, but that would be primary purpose.

Yes, i've been tracking the C4. One weekend with the M5 (loved the 2x HP...but obviously a large car for the track), so I think the extra HP on the CS would be appreciated.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

It's not the slightly greater hp, but the mid-engine configuration with rear-wheel drive only that you'd notice most in the switch. I had a 964 RS America prior to the CS. The CS is particularly smoother in transitions and easy to drive, but the RSA's rear engine seemed to put more of its power down coming out of turns. The bottom line is that I'm a little quicker in the stock CS than I was in the non-stock RSA.

BTW, my other car is a M3 which I've tracked and autocrossed a few times.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Dave DE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll 2nd what Jim said, I don't know of any particular problem for the '06 vs other years. In fact, the lack of TPMS on '06 could be considered a plus.

Both boxsters and the cayman have had reported pwr steering problems with track use. Some people have it happen, others don't. Fixes include underdrive pulley, insulation on pwr steering line near the header, and extra cooler.

I've had great fun with my 06 CS at DEs, but can't relate it to another model as this is my first P-car.

Dave
Old 05-10-2008, 02:10 AM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Test drove a new CS today. Enjoyed the ride, but felt less "powerful" than I had expected (my first drive). I probably just need to feel it through the curves to better appreciate the ride. Beautiful car. I'm thinking.....
Old 05-11-2008, 01:09 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought the CS was underpowered too, thats why we bought the Z4M.
333hp to 280hp. It wasnt because I didnt want it the Z4 was $20K less
than the Cayman (with trunk money) so 20K and 50hp was
hard to pass up.

I didnt buy it for a track vehicle though. From what I understand its a damn
good track vehicle(cayman S). Find Mooty on the GT3 forum he has tracked
the heck out of a Cayman and will have a bunch of answers for your ?'s.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:53 PM
eqs
Advanced

I know this is a little OT but what about the Exige S240. Many use this as it goes like a booh and handles. Way more raw as you know and tougher to get into, but man that thing moves. The Cayman S is much more luxurious, and for track I would really want to push and "slightly" abuse it. Try it, it may be for you, especially if you have other cars to propel you from A - B. Just my 2c that's all.

Cheers and good luck
Old 05-12-2008, 04:50 PM
wf758
Rennlist Member

eqs--thanks for the suggestion!
Old 05-13-2008, 01:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

exige 240 will eat cayman s for lunch, period.
it will eat some GT3's for lunch as well. do not under estimate the S240 exige.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:24 AM
eqs
Advanced

wf, the S240 @ the top end of the power band is such that it makes my eyes water, the grin on my face is so wide.

The sound, the feel - it's so raw and menacing ......

But uhum, we are on a P forum, so I better keep this on the q t.

Cheers, try it, you might like it.

Just make sure you don't rip out the shifter though, it feels just a tad sloppy and flimsy.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:32 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Can the cayman s be stripped down to like 2400 lbs if it's a dedicated track car. how much they weigh initially? regards. mike
Old 05-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Mike: Weight varies with options and amount of fuel. I think mine weighed about 2960# with a full tank. 2400# is a long way to go; you won't save much weight just tearing out carpet, but lightweight seats, wheels, brakes (PCCBs), exhaust, doors, fenders, lower panels, and rear hatch (with plexi-glass) would get you started. The front hood is aluminum.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:57 PM
wf758
Rennlist Member

I know it is a P-car forum, and I love mine, but I did test drive an Exige today. Ok, not the 240, just the plain S (220). It was raw and fun. Can't imagine how much "more" would be in the 240. Totally different feel than the Cayman (or my 964). Inside feels pretty plasticy and cheap, and I know what you mean about the shifter, but the grip and the acceleration are incredible. Thanks for the great suggestion.

Anything else out there you guys think I ought to try before making a decision?
Old 05-13-2008, 11:55 PM
equ
Racer

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I thought the CS was underpowered too, thats why we bought the Z4M.
333hp to 280hp. It wasnt because I didnt want it the Z4 was $20K less
than the Cayman (with trunk money) so 20K and 50hp was
hard to pass up.

I didnt buy it for a track vehicle though. From what I understand its a damn
good track vehicle(cayman S). Find Mooty on the GT3 forum he has tracked
the heck out of a Cayman and will have a bunch of answers for your ?'s.
Cayman S is 295hp. you must be confusing it with the 05-06 Boxster S which was 280hp. Also, test upon test, the acceleration difference between the z4M & the caymanS is negligible.

Quick Reply: Considering Used Cayman S for Track Car