Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Used Cayman S for Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 02:27 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread - I hadn't read it when it was new.

So I was tipped off by the updated signature of the Original Poster - aha! He ended up with a more raw track toy instead of a Cayman.

Enjoy the Lotus, wf!
Old 06-20-2008, 05:47 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Was out watching a DE at Portland today. Friend of mine has the 240 and he was lapping about the fastest in his run group. Had an R8 (2 seconds slower than 240) Vettes, WRXs' (embarassing the P cars) and a 996 GT3. Talked to him after the session and he said the only faster car was another 240 which had slicks vs. his "street" tires. Said it rolls quite a bit but is fun to drive. Getting in and out a challenge and no visibility out the back. He took the inside mirror off as it does nothing but block forward vision. He has a bunch of other nice cars to compare and thinks it is a good value. Though the said his spec racer ford is STILL the best car for the track.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:06 PM
scottjua
Intermediate

Great thread as I've been pondering this same question lately?

For the OP: any updates?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Bodhii
Rennlist Member

I have had the opportunity to drive this car a few times at speed. Don't know the weight, but it is completely stripped and set up as a Cup car. Extremely light, and I think handles better than a Cup car. I have passed all Loti that I have met on track, but not too sure which models they were... And even with a full cage, it is very easy to enter and exit. LOL

Old 04-13-2009, 07:15 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by wf758
Thanks guys. Test drove a new CS today. Enjoyed the ride, but felt less "powerful" than I had expected (my first drive). I probably just need to feel it through the curves to better appreciate the ride. Beautiful car. I'm thinking.....
Part of the "less powerful" feeling is the taller first and second gear than that found in the 911. Done on purpose by Porsche ( I was told) so the 911 (997) would be quicker off the line. Great car though and well balanced. I would suggest if you are going to track it that you wrap the power steering lines with a heat blanket as one of them lies roght on top of the engine and can cause the fluid to heat to a temp that may destroy the fittings and thus lose fluid and the system. Secondly get a set of lightweight forged wheels such as Champion you will instantly see an improvement in handling just be reducing the un-sprung weight. Lastly there is some print in the British Porsche monthlies that there will be a Cayman S lightweight appearing this fall. Reduced weight and the ability to order such options as fire bottle, roll bar etc. That could be a real winner.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Bola964
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was at a DE event at PBIR last night, and I saw 2 CS that performed very well. One run at the Solo run against 2 GT3s and actually beat one of them..... I'd like to try one myself.

Quick Reply: Considering Used Cayman S for Track Car