Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Cayman vs BMW 135i

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 04:47 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're two very different cars and I love P-cars, the Cayman is a great car, even base version.

I went to see the 1 series in person because it's hard to get a sense of size and appearance.
Anyway, I think it's great that BMW returns to a small for the finickey US market. I don't think it's ugly, it's just kind of butch or tough looking. Of course in DE they get hatchback and 5-door versions, too.
And why couldn't BMW get more weight out?

I just really, really wonder about the handling balance on that short chassis.
The horsepower wars continue (almost over?), it's a good thing that BMW is playing well, this car with that motor for $35k base is a gift.
Still a Cayman, or any Porsche, remains much more of a driver's car.

btw, Cayman has no LSD available? (I've got it on my 996 and it's a great thing in tight corners.)
Old 04-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In the March issue of GT Purely Porsche, Chris Harris writes an article on why the Cayman S is better than the M3. It's a good read. I have to imagine the same applies in this comparison. I was very disappointed in the video...these guys have to be smarter than to just judge one "better" by three stupid tests. (OK, just two were stupid...)
Old 04-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer
btw, Cayman has no LSD available? (I've got it on my 996 and it's a great thing in tight corners.)
Nope. General wisdom is it's another step to keep the Cayman S "under" the 911 in performance terms. I think there are aftermarket options, however.

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayman vs BMW 135i