Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman Cup

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 05:06 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
Nordschleife, the Cayman S tranny is sourced from Audi? I thought it was the same as the one in the carrera. If from Audi, which unit is it? Thanks.
The Cayman has had its Audi box replaced by a PAG box (CS), along with most (all?) other mechanicals, I didn't ask which Audi unit it was, but I am led to believe that Stasis Motorsport in the US know all about it and can supply LSDs for those who are interested.

Now its entirely possible that the 5 speed is an Audi unit and the 6 speed a PAG unit, when getting a Cayman for a a transplant, it makes sense to start with the most cost effective version to act as a donor.

R+C
Old 11-12-2007, 10:22 PM
joel-cs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
The Cayman has had its Audi box replaced by a PAG box (CS), along with most (all?) other mechanicals, I didn't ask which Audi unit it was, but I am led to believe that Stasis Motorsport in the US know all about it and can supply LSDs for those who are interested.

R+C
I have been using the Stasis LSD unit for a year now and have nothing but good things to say about it.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:40 AM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Having a lot of Cayman on the track is fine. Having a lot of breakdowns is not so clever. This problem is partially dealt with by running sealed stock engines. I do anticipate clutch/transmission problems and a surprising number of people running out of talent as they come into the corner.

When 'going for it', the transmission gets a touch stressed.

On the positive side, French club racing can get quite physical and they make up for any technical shortcomings with lashings of enthusiasm. So expect fireworks.

R+C

Thanks, R+C: my new favorite phrase is "lashings of enthusiasm".
Old 12-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

I think the Carrera Box is the second one down on this Aisin Seiki web page http://www.aisin.com/product/automot...etrain/mt.html
Old 12-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Bodhii
Rennlist Member

Italians have been doing this for 2 years.
The guy in Italy who started the series is the president of the PorscheClub there - he got interest from 30-odd people for a series of races much cheaper to enter than with GT3s, and has a handful of OPCs which order the cars for customers with just 2 options - sportchrono and PASM, then the dealer ships them to the official motorsport preparer before the customer takes delivery from the OPC. Just the dash and ventilation system remain inside.
The impressive thing is that the vehicle in standard form with 2 options, so the preparation, which includes a new exhaust and air filter to raise the power slightly, only costs around 1,000 euros extra... There is also an option for superlight wheels allowed in the series
http://www.italiamotorsport.it/campionato.php?id=15

Old 12-20-2007, 09:27 PM
McGarrett
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodhii
Italians have been doing this for 2 years.

http://www.italiamotorsport.it/campionato.php?id=15

That is way too cool. We need one here.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Bodhii
Rennlist Member

More Cayman Cup Italiano... So many racing Caymans!... It's great to see this driver's use of different strategies to attempt a successful pass when all cars are so evenly matched technically. Fun stuff!

Old 12-23-2007, 07:26 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Great Video!

Thanks for sharing!!
Old 12-23-2007, 08:05 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome indeed! It may be the perfect solution for peeps like me that want to step up to wheel-to-wheel stuff without the cup cash outlay. Then, get the real deal when I gain the experience needed. I want one!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 12-23-2007, 10:14 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Awesome indeed! It may be the perfect solution for peeps like me that want to step up to wheel-to-wheel stuff without the cup cash outlay. Then, get the real deal when I gain the experience needed. I want one!
are there spec boxster racing in your region? that would be the ticket.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:31 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
are there spec boxster racing in your region? that would be the ticket.
Not sure Moot. I know we have spec Miata. I really like a roof over my head though. I bet Farnbacher can build one of these beasts. Wonder what they weigh..? In the video, these things sound like a GT3.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:34 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Not sure Moot. I know we have spec Miata. I really like a roof over my head though. I bet Farnbacher can build one of these beasts. Wonder what they weigh..? In the video, these things sound like a GT3.
i had three of them, though not stripped.
they dont sound like GT3 trust me, but they do sound nice.
joel-CS on RL is having his cay s stripped out at farbacher and i can't wait to see it.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Boxster Spec Racing FYI - www.boxsterspecracing.org
Old 12-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

In case someone is interested..

Weight: 1230 Kgs (2700 lbs) shaved 220 lbs. net.
Removal of sound deadening material, seats replaced, radio, no sunroof, etc.. The doors remain stock, except with interior CF panels and the removal of Airbags and pockets. Electrical glass mechanism was retained.

Suspension: Billstein PSS9

Brakes: stock except for racing pads and oil.
Work was done to improve air ducting and cooling, which was the weakest link in the Italian Cup cars, and resulted in loss of braking power as the laps went on. Unlike the Italian counterparts, IMSA racing used a larger wind deflector at the control arm level and did not use the front fog light ducting but rather a different setup to control air flow to the discs. AP600 brake fluid was used.

Stiffness improved with a roll cage bolted on suspension pick up points and a rollbar.

Engine: LWF saving about 15 lbs. a different air filter to improve engine sound, but the main improvement was the placement of an Accusump to resolve oil pressure problems resulting in engine breakdowns that were witnessed in Italy when under hard cornering.

No exhaust changes as they would not improve performance while increase cost.

The cars were greatly improved as a result. Laptimes are about 3-4 seconds slower than the 997GT3 at Dijon race track, and at par with well driven 964RSs and 993TTs.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:15 PM
171mph
Racer

Originally Posted by Jean
In case someone is interested..

Weight: 1230 Kgs (2700 lbs) shaved 220 lbs. net.
Removal of sound deadening material, seats replaced, radio, no sunroof, etc.. The doors remain stock, except with interior CF panels and the removal of Airbags and pockets. Electrical glass mechanism was retained.

Suspension: Billstein PSS9

Brakes: stock except for racing pads and oil.
Work was done to improve air ducting and cooling, which was the weakest link in the Italian Cup cars, and resulted in loss of braking power as the laps went on. Unlike the Italian counterparts, IMSA racing used a larger wind deflector at the control arm level and did not use the front fog light ducting but rather a different setup to control air flow to the discs. AP600 brake fluid was used.

Stiffness improved with a roll cage bolted on suspension pick up points and a rollbar.

Engine: LWF saving about 15 lbs. a different air filter to improve engine sound, but the main improvement was the placement of an Accusump to resolve oil pressure problems resulting in engine breakdowns that were witnessed in Italy when under hard cornering.

No exhaust changes as they would not improve performance while increase cost.

The cars were greatly improved as a result. Laptimes are about 3-4 seconds slower than the 997GT3 at Dijon race track, and at par with well driven 964RSs and 993TTs.
Thanks for the writeup. Is the Accusump a better solution than the mantissport or x51 sump extention? Also, do u know how they resolved the power steering issues?

Quick Reply: Cayman Cup