Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman Club forum. Is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 06:37 PM
McGarrett
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cayman Club forum. Is it just me?

Does anyone post on the Cayman Club forum?

Is it just me or is the guy who runs it a complete control freak?

I sent a personal e-mail/link to a post I saw on the forum to my brother. The next thing I know, the sites "Founder" is sending him an e-mail chewing him out because I asked a question to my brother and not him. WTF.

My brother is not a member of the Cayman Club and why the hell is he sending him e-mails? What a freak.

I heard a few people here on Rennlist talking about this a few months back. I didn't think it was this bad.

Last edited by McGarrett; 10-07-2007 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Better title
Old 10-07-2007, 06:51 PM
rotharek
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen many posts there get deleted. It's like the moderators there have some huge agenda to make the forum as Brady Bunch perfect as possible. It's rather ridiculous.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:13 AM
vladie22
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 42 Posts

ive been a member there for 6 months or so and havent had any problems . it is actually a very informative source for cayman owners . you should give it another try .
Old 10-08-2007, 01:53 PM
skittlz74
Advanced

Originally Posted by vladie22
ive been a member there for 6 months or so and havent had any problems . it is actually a very informative source for cayman owners . you should give it another try .

+1. Everyone there has been incredibly helpful and quite polite since I have been a member. As for the owner/moderator, he is pretty da*** cool and definitely knows his business when it comes to the Cayman
Old 10-08-2007, 04:04 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

I am a paid member here, and frequent the 964 area. But for what it is worth, the CC seems to have attracted the lions share of online Cayman discussion.

I have never had any problems there, but you will get tweaked if you post a question w/o searching 1st! They do try to run a tight ship, no question about that. I have had occasion to meet several members while at Parade, and found everyone's carbon based personas to match their cyber personas, which is to say friendly and amiable.

I find CC a great place to talk about Caymans.

Brian
Old 10-08-2007, 08:19 PM
redwarrior
AutoX

Originally Posted by McGarrett
Does anyone post on the Cayman Club forum?

My brother is not a member of the Cayman Club and why the hell is he sending him e-mails? What a freak.
Hmmmmm, Odd thing is how did he get your brothers email. Do I hear the duck?
Old 10-08-2007, 08:43 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been a "Rennlister" since before it was Rennlist. I've been a CC "member" for over 2 years. CC is not as open and has more admin intervention than RL, but I think that may be needed for a startup site.

Back when I was considering a CS to replace my well modded, daily driver/DE 993, I got a nice welcome, good info and solid answers to questions on CC. Here, I received divisive, bigoted, elitist crap from a handful of loud mouthed a-holes posting sophomoric Gayman comments and telling me why I was an idiot to even consider buying a CS. After much research, I bought the CS and have never been happier with a car. I also stopped hanging out on RL and am now an infrequent visitor.

CC with its sometimes irritating attributes has grown very, very fast and is now THE Cayman site. This forum is basically dead. It didn't have to be that way had this forum been better moderated. Forum control helped make CC a success and lack of control killed this place. A real shame.

Oh, and McGarrett, maybe it's just you. I've had no problems with the CC admin, even when I've been critical of the site or the way it's administered.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:34 PM
McGarrett
Racer

Hmmmmm, Odd thing is how did he get your brothers email. Do I hear the duck?
When I sent my brother the link, it was through the Cayman Club. The option to send a link to a friend. It than ask's the persons e-mail. He got the info through the site which is understandable, but to then e-mail him separately is uncalled for.

I find CC a great place to talk about Caymans.
Very true. But keep it a little less communist.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:48 PM
redwarrior
AutoX

Originally Posted by STLPCA
I've been a "Rennlister" since before it was Rennlist. I've been a CC "member" for over 2 years. CC is not as open and has more admin intervention than RL, but I think that may be needed for a startup site.

Back when I was considering a CS to replace my well modded, daily driver/DE 993, I got a nice welcome, good info and solid answers to questions on CC. Here, I received divisive, bigoted, elitist crap from a handful of loud mouthed a-holes posting sophomoric Gayman comments and telling me why I was an idiot to even consider buying a CS. After much research, I bought the CS and have never been happier with a car. I also stopped hanging out on RL and am now an infrequent visitor.

CC with its sometimes irritating attributes has grown very, very fast and is now THE Cayman site. This forum is basically dead. It didn't have to be that way had this forum been better moderated. Forum control helped make CC a success and lack of control killed this place. A real shame.

Oh, and McGarrett, maybe it's just you. I've had no problems with the CC admin, even when I've been critical of the site or the way it's administered.
Now thats letting your true feelings show. Thanks for that bit of info.

Originally Posted by McGarrett
When I sent my brother the link, it was through the Cayman Club. The option to send a link to a friend. It than ask's the persons e-mail. He got the info through the site which is understandable, but to then e-mail him separately is uncalled for.
Maybe it was but I think we all do things we think are correct at the time only to discover later it was a mistake.

Did you consider taking up the issue with him so maybe he could discover or explain his mistake or just decide to ask the people here why he is sending emails then call him a Freak?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dan certainly has a way with words, but my experiences were similar; very little support for Cayman waiters (we were all waiters then) here or at Rennteam in 2005, so caymanclub served as group therapy for us. Caymanclub has also developed into an excellent site, with much information I've not found anywhere else. Yes, it's more strictly controlled than most Porsche websites, but flame wars and general nastyness are almost unheard of there.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,748 Likes on 2,354 Posts

i am in total agreement with dan on his points.
and those who look down on cayman s clearly have not driven one or they simply cannot drive, period. like any cars, cay s has it's problems but it is a GREAT car.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:12 AM
afridi
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

I had joined Rennlist as I was making a descision to buy a Porsche 996 C4S vs a Cayman.

I purchased teh cayman S and hung around and this forum was rather quiet. Someone directed me to CaymanClub which does have a ton of data.

I think the moderator there really has put in a ton of effort to get that place going. Certainly it could do with some tweaking but for the most part I think the site works well.

I think it's a shame that the Cayman doesnt get much time here on Rennlist and makes it look like the Cayman isnt a real Porsche.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here, I received divisive, bigoted, elitist crap from a handful of loud mouthed a-holes posting sophomoric Gayman comments and telling me why I was an idiot to even consider buying a CS.
I would have to agree with that. Pretty sad really.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Budweiser
Advanced

I have to agree with the positives mentioned all above regarding CC. Knowledge source vastly outways any concerns whatsoever regarding admin approach. Great site.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I definitely have a few issues with how CC is run but they have a lot more traffic. That's mostly a good thing but I tend to be more interested in performance oriented technical data as opposed to which cord links up my i****, which is most of the banter on CC. It is helpful for general knowledge though, one place can't be all things to all people I guess.

Quick Reply: Cayman Club forum. Is it just me?