Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman Club forum. Is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:06 PM
McGarrett
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you consider taking up the issue with him so maybe he could discover or explain his mistake
That would be like convincing my wife that she is wrong sometimes.

One of the things he says in his e-mail to my brother is "Why didn't he ask me what track it was?" I f he had noticed my reply post to the thread, he would have seen that I asked him first.

Yes the Cayman Club site if very cool. And the forum is one of the best out there when it comes to Caymans. I like the site forum, I just wish the founder would lay off a Little.

My post here was to get opinions from people "outside" the walls.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:16 PM
redwarrior
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
I definitely have a few issues with how CC is run but they have a lot more traffic. That's mostly a good thing but I tend to be more interested in performance oriented technical data as opposed to which cord links up my i****, which is most of the banter on CC. It is helpful for general knowledge though, one place can't be all things to all people I guess.
Hello 008, it seems you mostly post in the 997 GT2/3 forum so what performance oriented technical data are you interested in regarding the Cayman?
Old 10-10-2007, 02:45 AM
rotharek
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, no one is arguing the usefulness of the forums or the quality of the Cayman (an absolutely amazing car). There just does seem to be some heavy moderating going on.

I'm an avid forum reader and poster. I visit many forums. Forums like that always seem to be victims of some sort of strong holding moderator abuse. I feel the best forums are the ones with light moderation. The light moderation is what builds the uniqueness of forums. You step in with NWS material, excessive flaming, farming, advertising, etc. You don't try and manipulate the posting style to build some sort of internet utopia. It's silly and some what insulting. We're adults and we don't need to be babied and leashed like that.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by redwarrior
Hello 008, it seems you mostly post in the 997 GT2/3 forum so what performance oriented technical data are you interested in regarding the Cayman?
I usually go to that forum because they have a higher percentage of track drivers. I should be getting my Cayman today or tomorrow and it's nice to know what others have already figured out with regards to track setup, track maintenance, tire selection, pad selection, etc. I've been the guinea pig for the M3, Elise, Viper, cobra R, etc and thought it would be nice to be able to jump right in with reliable info from serious track junkies. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like many people track the cayman extensively.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:44 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
I usually go to that forum because they have a higher percentage of track drivers. I should be getting my Cayman today or tomorrow and it's nice to know what others have already figured out with regards to track setup, track maintenance, tire selection, pad selection, etc. I've been the guinea pig for the M3, Elise, Viper, cobra R, etc and thought it would be nice to be able to jump right in with reliable info from serious track junkies. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like many people track the cayman extensively.
Have you tried the "competition" forum at CaymanClub.net? There are a wealth of highly knowledgeable and experienced Cayman DE and race drivers, owners and crew, including Mantis Sport which built a CS PCA race car and campaigned it with great success last year.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes

I've spoken with the Mantis guys they've done a great job and really spread the word on the Cayman's pros and cons. I guess I just expected more experienced people to be giving feedback on heavily tracked cars.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:51 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,748 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
i dont think you did enough seach then. all your Q's were answered in CC forum by either me or joel c-s.

alignment depends on how you drive. i have over 3 deg of camber on all the corners.

i didn't have LSD, i figured a quick way to go around that by using psm or rather ignoring it. if you want LSD, call up paul at "guard transmission" the make LSD for lots of porsche race cars. stasis also makes one. dont bother with TSB type, just get a real plate type LSD if you are serious about track driving, like 3000+ track miles every year.

suspension: if you dont like oem, then get moton cs or similar JRZ's. leda if they are still around. dont waste time with others. and you need a suspension genious or else all your money is wasted. when you talk to 10 suspension geniuses, only 1 really knows what's going on. so spend your time finding one. took me many many years to find one. spring rate also depends on decontented your cayman will be, and what track you drive on. joel cs now has much stiffer springs then i once did. but he trailers the car, i drive my to track.

you do some search on 997gt3 board you will figure out how to kill off tire pressure monitoring system and PASM if you have it.

track maintenance.... obviously oil changes, chk wheel bearings, pads rotors every chance you get. but POWER STEERING pump and fluid level must be check religiously. like every time you blink your eyes. that's weak point on the car. you can get 997 cup car electric pwr steering pump for it then you be done. google for 911 design in LA, CA. they have done it to 997GT3's, so they must know how to adapt to cayman as well. not easy and not cheap.

tires: mpsc, toyo RA1 and hoosiers all have the right size for the car in 18". this has been hashed over many times on cc forum by me and sleepless. it's there.

pads: i am a die hard pagid fan. use RS19 or RS29 on caymans s. dont mix them, use the same all around. if you like super bite, then RS14, but it will eat your rotors. i am not familiar with performance friction, but they are good too.

brakes: if you have "S" then stock binders are more than good enough. dont waste money for more braking power, they car doesn't need it.

if you are on west coast, tcdesignfab will do custom roll bar for the car. if you on east coast, visit farnbacher loles for bars.

seats: use 996gt3 seat, comes with sliders, bolts right in in 20 min.

all of the above are in cc forum somewhere b/c i, sleepless, joel cs, STLPCA, jim michaels and many others were lab rats trying these things out.

i dont know the cc founder personally, but he is a bit tight. hey that's just personality, you dont have to love the guy. but it IS his website. until you create one of your own, you obey by his rules or you dont play. that's my philosophy. until i create my own country, i will put up with democracy and the modern voting system. i dont like it, but i dont own a country yet,. so i obey other's rules.

that said, cc forum has a lot of good stuff. some fluff, some social bickering, but lots of info as well.

any other questions?
you on elise talk?
i am polar there.
how long have you had the car? there's not much experimentation needed. i owned the car 5 months 13000 miles, 3500 on track, i tried just about all the useful stuff on that car. most of the crap you can buy for elise/exige are just that, CRAP. nitron and 15/16 wheel are the only things you need. all else are money wasted.
ok, maybe the sway bar and the save your life toe linx.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:45 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by McGarrett
Does anyone post on the Cayman Club forum?

Is it just me or is the guy who runs it a complete control freak?

I sent a personal e-mail/link to a post I saw on the forum to my brother. The next thing I know, the sites "Founder" is sending him an e-mail chewing him out because I asked a question to my brother and not him. WTF.

My brother is not a member of the Cayman Club and why the hell is he sending him e-mails? What a freak.

I heard a few people here on Rennlist talking about this a few months back. I didn't think it was this bad.
Nobody could comment on this one better than I, when you consider my IP is banned permanently from his site Now how much do you think that hurts considering the Cayman is gone and I've joined the air-cooled gerneration...

Yes, he is not only a total control freak but a huge ego maniac... Whatever you do don't say anything against a Cayman... Better yet, don't say anything against his sponsors...

Personally, I just don't like the guy and that's something I haven't said often in my life... I really feel that someone with the business skills & PERSONALITY could start a competing site and give him a run for his money... I've ordered products from several of his sponsors who are not particularly happy campers either...

All personalities aside... It's an extremely informative site for just about anything CS related... It's not a place to voice ANY conflicting opinion... And, that's very sad...
Old 10-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
i dont think you did enough seach then. all your Q's were answered in CC forum by either me or joel c-s.

alignment depends on how you drive. i have over 3 deg of camber on all the corners.

i didn't have LSD, i figured a quick way to go around that by using psm or rather ignoring it. if you want LSD, call up paul at "guard transmission" the make LSD for lots of porsche race cars. stasis also makes one. dont bother with TSB type, just get a real plate type LSD if you are serious about track driving, like 3000+ track miles every year.

suspension: if you dont like oem, then get moton cs or similar JRZ's. leda if they are still around. dont waste time with others. and you need a suspension genious or else all your money is wasted. when you talk to 10 suspension geniuses, only 1 really knows what's going on. so spend your time finding one. took me many many years to find one. spring rate also depends on decontented your cayman will be, and what track you drive on. joel cs now has much stiffer springs then i once did. but he trailers the car, i drive my to track.

you do some search on 997gt3 board you will figure out how to kill off tire pressure monitoring system and PASM if you have it.

track maintenance.... obviously oil changes, chk wheel bearings, pads rotors every chance you get. but POWER STEERING pump and fluid level must be check religiously. like every time you blink your eyes. that's weak point on the car. you can get 997 cup car electric pwr steering pump for it then you be done. google for 911 design in LA, CA. they have done it to 997GT3's, so they must know how to adapt to cayman as well. not easy and not cheap.

tires: mpsc, toyo RA1 and hoosiers all have the right size for the car in 18". this has been hashed over many times on cc forum by me and sleepless. it's there.

pads: i am a die hard pagid fan. use RS19 or RS29 on caymans s. dont mix them, use the same all around. if you like super bite, then RS14, but it will eat your rotors. i am not familiar with performance friction, but they are good too.

brakes: if you have "S" then stock binders are more than good enough. dont waste money for more braking power, they car doesn't need it.

if you are on west coast, tcdesignfab will do custom roll bar for the car. if you on east coast, visit farnbacher loles for bars.

seats: use 996gt3 seat, comes with sliders, bolts right in in 20 min.

all of the above are in cc forum somewhere b/c i, sleepless, joel cs, STLPCA, jim michaels and many others were lab rats trying these things out.

i dont know the cc founder personally, but he is a bit tight. hey that's just personality, you dont have to love the guy. but it IS his website. until you create one of your own, you obey by his rules or you dont play. that's my philosophy. until i create my own country, i will put up with democracy and the modern voting system. i dont like it, but i dont own a country yet,. so i obey other's rules.

that said, cc forum has a lot of good stuff. some fluff, some social bickering, but lots of info as well.

any other questions?
you on elise talk?
i am polar there.
how long have you had the car? there's not much experimentation needed. i owned the car 5 months 13000 miles, 3500 on track, i tried just about all the useful stuff on that car. most of the crap you can buy for elise/exige are just that, CRAP. nitron and 15/16 wheel are the only things you need. all else are money wasted.
ok, maybe the sway bar and the save your life toe linx.
Mooty, thanks for all of the feedback. I've seen yours and other posts on there and they've been very helpful. There really is only a handful of guys though that have real track miles on the car. I don't really care about the political or social parts of CC or any other board for that matter, and am happy to go with the flow that the admin/owner sets, just responding that the op is not alone in his thinking.
Back to cars. I just sold the Elise after 3 years, I was 008 on ET, and about 10k track miles great little car but I got sick of the lack of power and uselessness off the track. I'm considering getting a 211 though if I go for a track only ride.
For the Cayman S, I have the seats (euro 6GT3s), pads and fluid (PFC 01s), ssk, tires (NT01s) and a set of Champion springs. The plan is to do some events and determine if I want to track dedicate it or keep it dual purpose. From there I'll either do a 6 point cage or if it stays dp, a 4 point rollbar, next either keep the springs or do PSS9s for dp or go motons or JRZ clubs and possibly an LSD if necessary. Thanks for all the feedback! Hope you're enjoying the RS.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:10 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 008
Mooty, thanks for all of the feedback. I've seen yours and other posts on there and they've been very helpful. There really is only a handful of guys though that have real track miles on the car. I don't really care about the political or social parts of CC or any other board for that matter, and am happy to go with the flow that the admin/owner sets, just responding that the op is not alone in his thinking.
Back to cars. I just sold the Elise after 3 years, I was 008 on ET, and about 10k track miles great little car but I got sick of the lack of power and uselessness off the track. I'm considering getting a 211 though if I go for a track only ride.
For the Cayman S, I have the seats (euro 6GT3s), pads and fluid (PFC 01s), ssk, tires (NT01s) and a set of Champion springs. The plan is to do some events and determine if I want to track dedicate it or keep it dual purpose. From there I'll either do a 6 point cage or if it stays dp, a 4 point rollbar, next either keep the springs or do PSS9s for dp or go motons or JRZ clubs and possibly an LSD if necessary. Thanks for all the feedback! Hope you're enjoying the RS.
cool, you will enjoy the car.
it drives like a heaveir lotus with more TQ.
i am faster in cayman S on all the track i have been to.
initially i liked lotus more, but now i sold both, i like cayman more even if i am looking for a pure track car and never use it on street, i would still opt for the cayman. but that's just one freak's opinion.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Burning Brakes

That's good to hear. I"ve haven't owned a porsche yet but have always thought of them as one of the very few cars you can track consistantly in relatively stock form. First event is at Sebring in a couple of weeks I guess we'll see. btw, do you have PCCBs? They were the only option I was interested in but because of the GT2 production I was unable to order them.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:26 AM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bull30
Nobody could comment on this one better than I, when you consider my IP is banned permanently from his site Now how much do you think that hurts considering the Cayman is gone and I've joined the air-cooled gerneration...

Yes, he is not only a total control freak but a huge ego maniac... Whatever you do don't say anything against a Cayman... Better yet, don't say anything against his sponsors...

Personally, I just don't like the guy and that's something I haven't said often in my life... I really feel that someone with the business skills & PERSONALITY could start a competing site and give him a run for his money... I've ordered products from several of his sponsors who are not particularly happy campers either...

All personalities aside... It's an extremely informative site for just about anything CS related... It's not a place to voice ANY conflicting opinion... And, that's very sad...
Bull is dead on with this assessment. Although I have never had any issues with the guy, he is a complete control freak. Often berates other cars (namely 911's) and is quite abbrasive in his delivery.

It is a great site and the best out there for CS's however. I sold my CS and haven't been back in a year. He may have changed but it sure doesn't sound like it.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:21 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

I've had an interest in the Cayman and have dropped in at CC from time to time, but not recently.

Overall, I found some good information, but was a bit put off by the reviews (mostly by the owner of the site) of various mods. Quite honestly, some of the results he was claiming were hard to believe, and totally out of whack with what I've seen for other Porsches elsewhere. I really felt he was shilling somewhat for his vendors, but that's just my opinion.

Certainly, some of that shilling goes on at other websites as well, including this one; I just felt it was a little over the top at CC.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:27 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 008
That's good to hear. I"ve haven't owned a porsche yet but have always thought of them as one of the very few cars you can track consistantly in relatively stock form. First event is at Sebring in a couple of weeks I guess we'll see. btw, do you have PCCBs? They were the only option I was interested in but because of the GT2 production I was unable to order them.
no i dont have pccb and i dont have sport chrono/pasm
Old 10-23-2007, 12:30 PM
joel-cs
Instructor

Originally Posted by 008
008 - As Mooty says, there is tons of track information on CC. You just have to look, or ask. There are dozens of very experienced track junkies that have driven Porsche, BMW, Lotus previously. Many, like myself, are running that Cayman as a track-only car now as well.

Let me know if you have specific questions. BTW - it is better that you couldn't get PCCB. Not required and much too expensive for frequent track use. Get yourself some floating slotted race rotors, as I did...

Quick Reply: Cayman Club forum. Is it just me?