Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster vs Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:46 PM
rkeyser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I own 2 '05 Boxsters, one S and non-S. The S was was 65K and the non-S was 50K. Is the S worth an extra 15K or even 5-10K? No. In fact the non-S is more fun to drive due to increased intake and exhaust sound. Also, the 2.7 engine is turbine smooth. Handling is the same and power difference is marginal.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:50 PM
SD987S
Intermediate

I've owned an 05 987 and an 06 987S and I'd agree with those who consider the 987 base to be the best deal-on-wheels that Porsche offers. It is just as fun to drive; the base felt more tossable (17s no PASM) than my S (19s + PASM), but the S feels more planted (as another poster noted). That increase in sound is definitely noticeable and is nice top-down, however, I will say that the S is a much more sedate cruiser top-up, when you don't necessarily want the engine droning beyond your head. I think the sound of the S is subjectively "better" when you can hear it (1st gear, tunnels etc.).

The most noticeable difference performance wise in my mind is the brakes. While the base brakes are excellent, the S brakes are noticeably better. As far as the power difference, yes it's not monumental but the difference in 0-60s between the 987 and 987S is greater than between a 987S and a 997S, so I'd question the butt-dyno of those who don't feel a difference.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:10 PM
bfenster
Track Day

For what it's worth, I never drove an "S". About 10 days ago I purchased a 2007 base Boxster and I could not be happier. My options: Winstop (took it off for now), PPA package and 18" S wheels. Sounds even better than I imagined, terrific fun, comfortable low end torque, I hardly ever get into the power rpm range, don't seem to need it for fun but goes like heck when I do. My logic for non "S": I didn't want the 6 spd (not required off track). Didn't want the extra cost including extra maintenance costs. Didn't want the reduced mpg rating of 28 vs 32 hwy. I have no plans to track this car. As others have said, if you have serious plans to track your Boxster, the S with 6 spd may be a better choice. I do like my 18" wheels.

I'm a very happy camper. This is what it looks like:

Bruce
Attached Images  

Last edited by bfenster; 05-20-2007 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Attachment

Quick Reply: Boxster vs Boxster S