Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't recommend Porterfield Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 12:01 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs down Can't recommend Porterfield Pads

Back in late August just prior to my first DEs with the CS, I ordered Porterfield R4 track and R4S street pads from Livermore Performance, At that time none of the venders I contacted had the touted Performance Friction (PF97s) in stock. I did several searchs here and on other forums and couldn't find anything negative about Porterfield so I went ahead and placed the order.

On receipt neither the track pads nor the street pads fit the calipers correctly. On both sets, the retaining pin holes had to be elongated to permit the pads to drop into the caliper correctly. On the R4S pads the rear pad material was bonded onto the backing plate partially covering the retaining pin hole requiring some work with Dremel Tool. After fitting the pads , compared to the OEM pads, it was evident that with both the R4S and R4s, the rotors were not being swept completely. Both sets missed exactly 1/4" at the inside of the rotor near the hubs (F&R ) and 3/16 at the outside of the rotor also F&R. I contacted the Kevin at Livermore and he was very helpful and followed up with Porterfield. Porterfield told him that they had some "quality problems" with the initial production run. I was instructed to ship my used set(s) directly to Porterfield for replacement. Kevin had to follow up with Porterfield three time to have the UPS pickup label sent to me. Once the pads went back to Porterfield, Kevin at Livermore kept me up to date as the repacements took 2 mos. to receive. When the replacement pads came they dropped into the calipers with no issues with retaining pin interference but again, neither pad set swept the entire rotor. This time, compared to the OEMs they miss sweeping an 1/8" at the inside near the hub and 3/32s at the outside of the rotor.

I'm obviously disappointed and would not advise that fellow Rennlisters buy the Porterfield pads. On the other hand Kevin at Livermore Performance has been great to work with. Ironically, two of the three DEs last fall were in the rain so brakes were not an issue. If only... I'll let you what the final outcome is.

Cheers,

Last edited by morefun; 03-02-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:17 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Strange, I have not had these issues, actually I am quite happy and going through my 2nd set of them.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:44 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

A "bad run" of pads is acceptible 1x, but two sets not sweeping the same rotor area as the OEMs is not. Lesson learned, go with the consensus here on the board - Pagid or PF.

Cheers,
Old 03-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Oldnslow
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go with Pagid yellows for track use--way better than any Porterfield pad and you won't have any fitment issue. In my experience Porterfield is hit and miss on fitment. Go with the best for these incredible cars.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:17 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Porterfields always "Clicked" for me in the S4 brakes on the 928. They never fit properly, even 5 years ago.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:18 PM
jrok
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oldnslow
I'd go with Pagid yellows for track use--way better than any Porterfield pad and you won't have any fitment issue. In my experience Porterfield is hit and miss on fitment. Go with the best for these incredible cars.
I would have to agree, the Pagid Yellows have been fantastic track pads.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:46 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,658 Likes on 2,326 Posts

porter field is a lower end pad. i run them on lotus. incredibly dusty.
try pagid yellow, i think 2x the cost, but more bit, and it fits.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:52 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Anybody want to buy a set of R4s - new, in the box ? On sale!

Quick Reply: Can't recommend Porterfield Pads