Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

retrofitting the nav

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Ask nd you shall recieve. Here's my review and thoughts on my recent intallation with pics!

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...ml#post6879683

Let me know what you think or don't like!
Looks like it "grew there". Great. On Pioneer's site, they do not list the Boxsters older than 2006. I wonder if it would fit a 2004. I sent them an email and I'll see what they say.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:55 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie C
Looks like it "grew there". Great. On Pioneer's site, they do not list the Boxsters older than 2006. I wonder if it would fit a 2004. I sent them an email and I'll see what they say.
I wound asume it would fit if you're talking about the Porsche bezel I got from Suncoast. That was one of the big keys my installer said in making the job easier as it is a factory/OEM piece from Porsche used specifically to mount aftermarket double DIN radios in the Porsches. Otherwise they have to fabricate a mount which costs tiem and money. Am sure the Pioneer would fit in a 2004 as they've had double DIN radios around for quite a while in Europe I am sure.

Good luck...thanks for the compliment.
Rob
Old 09-18-2009, 04:33 AM
tinman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Nav in mine, and wish I had not, it is not an easy system to use even when sitting still, let alone driving, just get a good Garmin Nuvi....most of the time you know where you are going anyway, so you don't have to be concerned with permanent installation...I just keep mine in trunk, and use instead of my factory, when needed...Velcro has worked to mount on dash, as illegal in CA to mount on window, or ever just some velcro/wires (play around) looped thru middle vents.....once it's on, it's a clean enough look and easy to take out. The factory is NOT worth it. Shoulda bought the PASM, but I have a bad back, and test drove on a bad day.....but, I;m OK as is.....
Old 09-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tinman
I bought the Nav in mine, and wish I had not, it is not an easy system to use even when sitting still, let alone driving, just get a good Garmin Nuvi....most of the time you know where you are going anyway, so you don't have to be concerned with permanent installation...I just keep mine in trunk, and use instead of my factory, when needed...Velcro has worked to mount on dash, as illegal in CA to mount on window, or ever just some velcro/wires (play around) looped thru middle vents.....once it's on, it's a clean enough look and easy to take out. The factory is NOT worth it. Shoulda bought the PASM, but I have a bad back, and test drove on a bad day.....but, I;m OK as is.....
I can't remember whether the NAV was even available in 2004 but either way, I don't have it. I do have is a Nuvi which I take between my Boxster S and my SUV. My wife's Lexus IS250 has NAV but it doesn't allow you to input ANYTHING while in motion. The NUVI does and it's one of the reasons I like it better than hers.

I'm assuming the aftermarket NAVs, including the nice built in ones, allow input while in motion since they don't tie in to the transmission/speedometer line. That's why I would consider it and also for its other features, iPod, etc.

OT: Does the factory Porsche NAV allow you or your co-pilot to input a destination while in motion? I'm guessing no but I am curious.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:49 AM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

I am having the Alpine W505 installed today in my 2007 Cayman S using the DIN2 bezel from Porsche (thanks mdrobc1213). I had the bezel painted to match the volcano gray interior and then put on a small monocromatic porsche crest from an old key. I will post pics once the install is done. I too will have ipod, hd radio, nav, bluetooth and sirius as well as a backup camera. Be careful with the Pioneer as they are trickier to defeat the "while in motion" issue. I am told Kenwood and Alpine take a simple device that tricks the player into thinking you are not in motion hence why I went with the Alpine. I have the PCM 2.1 in my 06' C2S Cab and there was no way I paying 3k for the unit, 1k for the tooki bluetooth, another .6k for the sirius (if I can still find one) and then another 1-2k on the install. All in I will be around $3.5k but I could have went cheaper on the head unit but decided not to.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:36 PM
tinman
Rennlist Member

Charlie C.... yes on both.... but the dialing for digits on the Porsche, mine is a 06 BoxS, and on my 08 VWR32, you can input on the fly, but it's not safe!!!! Eyes on the road, here in Southern California, the land of tailgaters and road rage...I always input my destinations before I start my trip, but hands down my Nuvi 660 I think, or 680, I didn't get the one with europe which i actually needed....is far easier to use, and the key is don't panic, if you miss the turn, let the "witch" "recaluculate" and she will eventually get you there, sometimes any of the systems say turn, but you're already in the intersection...I guess my fault though, ad I wasn't looking at the display often enough.
Take Care, Love your car, saw one today in La Jolla, San Diego, CA, and just had to check it out, top was down and I love it...the seats are different than mine...I bought the GT Silver/Cocoa color combo, but havn't fund rims to have painted to the color of yours...that I like....
Old 09-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

rshan - i love that avitar pic of you S's rear end
Old 09-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
rshan - i love that avitar pic of you S's rear end
+1
Old 09-20-2009, 03:35 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
I am having the Alpine W505 installed today in my 2007 Cayman S using the DIN2 bezel from Porsche (thanks mdrobc1213). I had the bezel painted to match the volcano gray interior and then put on a small monocromatic porsche crest from an old key. I will post pics once the install is done. I too will have ipod, hd radio, nav, bluetooth and sirius as well as a backup camera. Be careful with the Pioneer as they are trickier to defeat the "while in motion" issue. I am told Kenwood and Alpine take a simple device that tricks the player into thinking you are not in motion hence why I went with the Alpine. I have the PCM 2.1 in my 06' C2S Cab and there was no way I paying 3k for the unit, 1k for the tooki bluetooth, another .6k for the sirius (if I can still find one) and then another 1-2k on the install. All in I will be around $3.5k but I could have went cheaper on the head unit but decided not to.
No problem...that's what friends are for! Glad the DIN worked. Yes the Pioneer doen't let you input on the fly but I do hear you can defeat it however like you said its painful to do I hear. Saw a post on ebay of how to do it...involves a code and also wire switch up. In any event am getting use to stopping and having my directions inputed before I go and also soon enuff I'll have most of em into the address hx or saved already. Afterall its easy enuff to put them in at a stopsign or light however I do miss the PCM 2.0 and 3.0 as well as my idrive on my BMW which do allow on the fly/in motion inputing. Yes post pics after your install is done. Mine originally as quoted at $2500 or so but that was IF I bought the components from the ielectronic store shop and since I knew I could do better pricewise elsewhere and my installer was okay with either option I did it on my own and brought the stuff to him to install. He just won't warranty the parts that's all but will cover the install/his work.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:42 PM
drbob01
3rd Gear

Question Would this work in my '05Boxster S?

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
I went aftermarket and bought a Pioneer AVIC unit and a double din bezel from Porsche (thanks Suncoast). Now for about $1000 total including install I have Sat radio (XM), bluetooth, ipod interface, awesome and superior navigation that is faster and more accurate, and ipod integration that works flawless plus can add HD radio and I can watch video on the screen. Otherwise my 2009 Boxster looks factory and perfect. Is much better than factory PCM 2.1 and 3.0 I know cause I had both..one in my 2005 Carrera and the newest one in my wife's 2009 Cayenne S. PCM 3.0 is better but for 1/3 the cost you can do just as good if not better! my 2 cents
I have a Garmin, but thought retro-install would be about $6K!! Is it possible to get this for $1K??? Wonder if it would fit in my 05Boxster S???
Thanks!

Quick Reply: retrofitting the nav