Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman RS project update, pix--

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 07:31 PM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayman RS project update, pix--

Mooty et. als...

Got the car back from the body shop; fitted:

(*) TechArt GT front spoiler and GT3-style aero sideskirts
(*) Carbon GTR-style rear wing
(*) Euro rear bumper (Hmmn, no place for the R tow hook, have to drill out)
(*) Front black mesh grille screens (radiator screens going on next week)
(*) Rear black mesh screens
(*) Side vent mesh screens; air-baffle delete mod
(*) 997 GT3 RS Alcantara sport steering wheel/airbag
(*) 997 GT3 RS Alcantara shift boot, carbon shift ****
(*) Next: Carbon-fiber mirrors; 997 Cup-style front bumper air vent; 3rd. radiator option; auxiliary oil cooler; oil sump extender kit; JRZ RS Pro dampers, adj. links, swaybars; Fikse Profil 13 wheels, black satin anodized, 8.5 & 10.5; GT3 race seats; harness bar.

Done previously:

(*) Eibach - 35 m.m. lowering springs
(*) 6 m.m. wheel spacers
(*) Track alignment and corner balance, -1.5/-2 deg. neg. camber
(*) Exhaust manifolds/100-cell HJS cats; s.s. mufflers
(*) Alum. pedals/foot rest
(*) BMC air filter
(*) Revo Stage II secret sauce

The car now looks more in tune with its character. However, all that aero stuff makes the lovely factory 18-in. wheels look mighty small. Would love to go up to 19s if I could get DOT track tires. Will post updates...

Lee in D.C.
Attached Images     

Last edited by DCLee; 10-28-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:25 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

Looks nice so far. Any bigger picts?
Old 10-28-2006, 10:26 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow - that's a well-done exterior. Very nice, very nice. In you front-angle pic it looks almost wide-bodyish.

So what effect does the Revo Stage II "secret sauce" have upon acceleration?
Old 10-28-2006, 10:55 PM
DCLee
Pro

Sorry, you can't post big pix up here unless I am mistaken.

The software is designed to work in conjunction with headers, 100-cell cats, and a cone intake or free-flow air filter. Throttle response certainly feels a little sharper, but the aftermarket exhaust moves the powerband up in the rpm range, so there is a tradeoff on low-range torque when you go to larger manifolds. I am going to get a few dyno pulls in a couple of weeks to find out what kind of h.p. and TQ I am making.

Lee in D.C.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:41 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

lee, congrats, the machine looks beautiful.
i think you can post bigger pix.
fikse will do 10.5 for you on the back? they wont do it for me. they only do 10" in profil 10 on mine. if they do 10.5 for you, i will be pissed off and that will be my last set and certainly from our CA track junkie group.

pls keep us posted on the dyno numbers. so far, my car is stock other than motons and GT3 seats/ roll bar. i am too inexperienced in the world of mod's. i will follow your progress.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:46 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Front, Rear, side black mesh grille screens (radiator screens going on next week)
____
pix or at least description on how to do this and how is it attached to bumper?

auxiliary oil cooler, adj. links, swaybars, Exhaust manifolds/100-cell HJS cats; s.s. mufflers
________
who makes it ?
where to get it?

BMC air filter
_____
how does this differ from EVO motorsport intake.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:48 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Very nice and clean Cayman, nothing is overkill. Very well done. Do you have bigger and closer shots of front bumper? I'd like to give my buddy some examples of "modified" stock bumpers.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:25 PM
DCLee
Pro

CWay27-- I'll try to get some better pix up in a few days, tied up this weekend.

Mooty: Grille work was all done by the body shop, damned if I know how they fastened the stuff to the bumper cover. I know they ordered some screens from Motorsport. They used s.s. mesh and baked the black finish on (hope it stays on); I will get you a close-up, but it's a little hard to photograph. I was getting concerned about all the little rock dings to the radiator fins-- why Porsche leaves the front exposed like this is beyond me.

Re wheels: Fikse-Man in customer service (who I'm told has left the company) prefers 10s on the rear so people don't call back and whine about rubbing, but apparently you can go all the way to 11s. I believe the Farnbacher-Loles GTR uses 15-m.m. spacers on the rear to clear the springs.

Oil cooler-- I have my old Turbo S cooler left over, tho it may be too small to do much, we will see; ERP should have the links, maybe TRG by now; H&R has adjustable sways (good with soft springs); exhaust system is all Milltek (w-aaay too quiet for my taste, only screams at high rpms-- this thing is apprently designed for British-type people who want to be discreet). I think I am going to cut the mufflers open and either remove baffling or reduce the size of the cannisters, more like Tubi length.

BMC foam filter-- Cheap, works. I'm not knocking anyone's specific product, but I am not a big fan of most cone-style "cold air" intakes from the price-to-performance standpoint. Later...

Lee in D.C.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:15 PM
tkarwin
Intermediate

I like the looks of the blacked out fog surrounds. Is that a TechArt piece? I think I have seen those in a TechArt ad. I am also not a fan of open cone style intakes, not to spit out any names.... I work at a shop and all they do is cause problems in the long run.

As for the wheel issue. I don't think .5 inch is going to make that much of a difference. Fikse knows what they are talking about when it comes to offsets and widths. I would stick with there recommendations. You can't really do anything with that extra half an inch anyway. It would purely be for looks and could cause fitment issues. It is not worth it, imho.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:07 PM
DCLee
Pro

Default fog light surrounds--

The fog surrounds are the stock pieces, painted matte black. TechArt gave me the idea. It makes the "floating" light pod, much beloved by stylists at Porsche, VW, Audi, etc., disappear into the black background. Eventually, I suspect Porsche will fit the RS or Clubsport version of the Cayman with a new front bumper cover that's more sporting and modeled on the nose of the Cup cars. Until then, the blackout mod is a cheap fix.

Lee in D.C.
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2006, 07:00 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

18" wheels are not that bad. They don't look too small.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:24 PM
tkarwin
Intermediate

With the TechArt front spoiler, is there an air gap below the center factory opening, or does it meet the factory bumper all the way across? I am having a dificult time telling from the photographs. Either way, it looks great!
Old 10-30-2006, 02:30 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

I was getting concerned about all the little rock dings to the radiator fins-- why Porsche leaves the front exposed like this is beyond me.

btw, with regard to 3rd radiator, stan at mantis racing told me their coolant has no prob with overheating. instead of radiator, they want to add oil cooler. your thoughts?

Fikse-Man in customer service (who I'm told has left the company) prefers 10s on the rear so people don't call back and whine about rubbing, but apparently you can go all the way to 11s. I believe the Farnbacher-Loles GTR uses 15-m.m. spacers on the rear to clear the springs.

H&R has adjustable sways (good with soft springs);

exhaust system is all Milltek (w-aaay too quiet for my taste, only screams at high rpms-- this thing is apprently designed for British-type people who want to be discreet). I think I am going to cut the mufflers open and either remove baffling or reduce the size of the cannisters, more like Tubi length.
is there any reason why you dont just use muffler bypass? that will not lose pwr/tq would it? i am tempted to take out the muffler. the only thing preventing me from that is i wont' pass sound chk at laguna seca.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:32 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DCLee
The fog surrounds are the stock pieces, painted matte black. TechArt gave me the idea.

Lee in D.C.
you can buy those from suncoast porsche.

or you can just rip it off and put screen mesh on the entire opening.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:40 PM
fletch
Advanced

FANTASTIC!!!

Quick Reply: Cayman RS project update, pix--