Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extreme handling

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 12:49 AM
RJM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info...sounds like you have a good relationship with your dealer; I am sure they like having one of their vehicles being really used as a sales example. I saw a track video clip of you taken from another car a couple days ago...looks like a hoot!
Old 10-23-2006, 05:02 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

While we're on the topic of handling....
Two of my track-rat friends drive the Boxster S. Both have switched to GT3 control arms to get more negative camber and dial out the understeer. Anyone know if that's going to be one of must-have go-fast mods on the Cayman S?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:46 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by C4 Guy
While we're on the topic of handling....
Two of my track-rat friends drive the Boxster S. Both have switched to GT3 control arms to get more negative camber and dial out the understeer. Anyone know if that's going to be one of must-have go-fast mods on the Cayman S?
i use camber plate and coil overs. i can get 4-4.5 deg of camber if i wanted, with stock control arms.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:24 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

As Mooty already said, Camber plates will do the same thing. In fact, the POC spec Boxster class allows either the GT3 arms or camber plates but not both. The GT3 arms do allow for better susp geometry when the car is lowered, but it is a much more costly solution.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:45 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pete: Saw your car at Colins last week.... looking great!
Old 10-24-2006, 11:50 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roberga
pete: Saw your car at Colins last week.... looking great!
Thanks! It's taking a little break from track abuse.

I have to say, that even for "extreme track driving" the car is wonderful on the stock suspension with a proper alignment.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Cayve-man S
8th Gear

Nobody has mentioned the mid-engine handling trait called trail braking induced oversteer! That's one thing a novice will have to be weary of for the first little while. No hard braking and turning at the same time, green guys!
As mentioned above, understeer is the most apparent trait but the tail can be coaxed out in slower corners with power though an LSD would really help to get the back aroundand keep it out.

pstoppani: you are very limited with the amount of negative camber available with the stock suspension. I could only get 0.5 degreed negative in the front before I slotted the holes. I was getting a great deal of outer edge tire wear in the front (and rear!-with the factory settings).
Old 10-25-2006, 09:27 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayve-man S
Nobody has mentioned the mid-engine handling trait called trail braking induced oversteer! That's one thing a novice will have to be weary of for the first little while. No hard braking and turning at the same time, green guys!
As mentioned above, understeer is the most apparent trait but the tail can be coaxed out in slower corners with power though an LSD would really help to get the back aroundand keep it out.

pstoppani: you are very limited with the amount of negative camber available with the stock suspension. I could only get 0.5 degreed negative in the front before I slotted the holes. I was getting a great deal of outer edge tire wear in the front (and rear!-with the factory settings).
well, trail braking induced oversteer is prevelant in any car, even front engined cars. from my personal exp, trail brk oversteeer is much more of an issue in rear engine car than mid engine cars b/c you dont need to trail brake as much as you do with 911's if you enter a corner hot.

i dont agree that cayman has understeering issues in comparision to other porsches. if anything it has a lot less than 996 997 (stock to stock).

without slotting, i got 1.3 deg of camber up front and 2.0 at back.

no hardbraking ever when you are turning, before turning sure, during turning forget it. novice should not attempt trail braking at all. they shouldnt be going fast enough that they need trail braking to turn in.

Quick Reply: Extreme handling