Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base Cayman..thoughts...Slow??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 08:10 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fletch
Price wise not really any deals for the base model 1-2k off. 3-5k off doable for an S.
Shop around...
Old 10-20-2006, 10:55 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by M Danger
hey FWIW, I was at the dealer auctions today and asked if they had any cayman come through, and they said yes, they were going for around 30
I'm finding that very hard to believe. Just two weeks ago I saw a printout of Mannheim auctions for that week, only 4 Cayman S's sold in the whole country that week and they went from between $52K and $54K. How a $60K car drops $20K or more in less than a year is unfathomable to me. Elise yes, Cayman no. In general there hasn't been enough used ones yet hitting the market to establish a longterm trend yet either.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:41 AM
ecmazza
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my base for over 5k off the MSRP. I thought this was fair deal for a fairly stripped car, pretty much color and wheels and few other bells and whistles...just gave her a good cleaning today, man do I love that car...
Old 10-21-2006, 02:22 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RJM...right on track.

People seem to forget that for the first few years the Boxster S only has 250 hp or only 5 hp more than todays BASE Boxster and Cayman. Performance is not far off either. You should probably add the specs to your list above.

I've had a new Cayman twice as a service loaner. The torque is actually pretty good. The problem is the gearing is way too tall. I looked into the gearing and the 6 speed doesn't improve it that much. This is because the lower gears are essentually the same between the 5-sp and the 6-sp. It is just the upper gears that are shortened. This means 0-60 should be the same, but you may get some better performance at 100+. Since I don't really see a need for PSM I probably would not opt for the 6-sp option if I were to look at one.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:08 PM
fletch
Advanced

What are the ratio's 5 & 6 Speeds. I read in excellence that the 6spd pulls a bit harder in 2nd? I need to see those ratio's.
Found them
5spd...3.50,2.12,1.43,1.09,0.84
6spd...3.31,1.96,1.41,1.13,0.97,0.82
Seems the 6spd is taller until 4th gear, I need to drive one ratio's can be matched better for lot's of reasons. Tit for Tat the 6sp is quoted in Excellence as going 161 a very small point but specs are made up of such.. I wonder how much more the six speed weighs?
Old 10-26-2006, 05:42 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

02 Carrera, you said PSM but you mean PASM. All the new cars have Porsche Stability Management now, but the whizz-bang electronically adjusted suspension with "the button" and 10mm lower ride height (sadly not ROW 20mm lower) is the PASM.

fletch, you are comparing the trans ratios but not including the gear in the pumpkin. Look at the Excellence article again: the top speed in first 3 gears is almost identical, and all the 6 speed does gearing-wise is put three gears in the place of the 5 speed's top 2 gears. Why? I think it's marketing again, to protect the heirarchy of acceleration among Porsche products.

One benefit of the 6 speed is that it's a more robust unit that would last like crazy under the torque of the 2.7; it also is said to shift nicer. The 5 speed is a VW unit, likely relatively durable since VW builds fine turbo cars with amazing torque curves.

MPG of the base Cayman is really cool -- 32 mpg highway, owing to amazing engine technology. If I got a base Cayman I'd love to tell my Sierra Club coworker that da P-car gets better mpg (and much lower emissions) than her 4-banger that she perceives as being so environmentally responsible.

Quick Reply: Base Cayman..thoughts...Slow??