Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing between Boxster, SLK, Z4 & S2000

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Mad_Hun
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing between Boxster, SLK, Z4 & S2000

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of choosing between the above named cars, and I wanted to get your thoughts. I've been a car enthusiast most of my life, and finally find myself in a place where I can afford a legit sports car! Brief synopsis of what I'm looking for: daily driver, but only to be driven about 8 miles a day on weekdays and for weekend road trips <250 miles, some autocrossing. My one problem is that I'm 6'4" and fit is proving to be a problem.

My budget tops out at around $50k, and I'd like to be somewhat below that, so unfortunately a 987 Boxster S seems out of the running. I test drove an 03 986 S, and was quite disappointed by the space and the considerable squeaks and rattles. Just to be specific, in regards to space, my knee was having problems clearing the wheel upon releasing the clutch and my head was rubbing the headliner (it had the hardtop on). So, I'm now considering a 987 base Boxster, as it's not too far down on power versus the 03 S and I'm hoping the greater adjustability of the steering wheel will afford me a little more clearance. Also, I know the 987 is considerably stiffer than the last gen, so I'm assuming the squeaks and rattles would be obviated. Does anyone my height drive a 987? How's the fit?

I also tested an SLK350. I liked it very much: tight structure, good ride, quiet, excellent quality, impressive power (especially midrange) and good grip. Most importantly, I fit beautifully. I had ample head and leg room, and actually had to scoot the seat up a little. Alas, the steering was a little wooden, and it didn't have that instantaneous go-kart feel / response. Thus, I think it would make an excellent daily driver, but I question its autocrossing prowess.

Finally, I've managed to drive an S2000. I loved the handling and steering. Response was immediate and crisp. Power wasn't bad, obviously it's not a torque-monster, but I can live with that. Room was tight, but I don't care much about width as I'm fairly thin. Leg room was just acceptable. My leg doesn't totally clear the wheel upon releasing the clutch, but it was still better than the 986. Head room was close. Basically, I like this car and I love the price, but I'm just wondering whether I can live with it as a daily driver. But it would be fun to auto-x!

Still waiting to drive the Z4, although I've read that the steering isn't wonderful and the ride is harsh. I'm not a fan of run-flats.

I realize this is a Porsche board, so obviously I'm going to get somewhat biased responses, but I'm hoping to get your feedback on whether someone my size lives with a 987 daily, and if you auto-x or track the car, how a base 987 stands up against the other cars I've named here.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2006, 01:00 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

The Porsche in my opinion is the best car of the ones that you mention. I have a 2005 987S and it's tons of fun to drive, but it won't be long before I sell it. It's just too small for me. I'm 6'2" and 200 pounds and I just can't seem to get comfortable in this car and I just don't think that I could use this car as my daily driver.

If you do go with the 987, then you should be able to find a used 05 or 06 987S for right around 50K.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:13 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mad_Hun
Hi everyone,

My budget tops out at around $50k, and I'd like to be somewhat below that, so unfortunately a 987 Boxster S seems out of the running.

You might be able to afford more than you think.

I just custom ordered an '07 987S. I optioned it lightly saving thousands on options I deemed unnecessary (especially for a "3rd car")-- No Bose, No Xenons, climate control (they actually charge $550 for this!) etc.

Sticker came in at $58,XXX, and purchase price is a little more than $52,000. Pretty good IMO for a brand net '07, with the larger 3.4 engine, spec'd just to my liking. By paying $52K I should be a little ahead of the depreciation curve set by those 987 owners who pile on the options and end up with stickers in the mid- $60's.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Mad_Hun
AutoX

Originally Posted by rome
You might be able to afford more than you think.

I just custom ordered an '07 987S. I optioned it lightly saving thousands on options I deemed unnecessary (especially for a "3rd car")-- No Bose, No Xenons, climate control (they actually charge $550 for this!) etc.

Sticker came in at $58,XXX, and purchase price is a little more than $52,000. Pretty good IMO for a brand net '07, with the larger 3.4 engine, spec'd just to my liking. By paying $52K I should be a little ahead of the depreciation curve set by those 987 owners who pile on the options and end up with stickers in the mid- $60's.
Interesting . . . I've always maintained I don't need much more than air conditioning, power windows and a CD player in a car. Maybe I can pull an S off.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:21 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mad_Hun
Interesting . . . I've always maintained I don't need much more than air conditioning, power windows and a CD player in a car. Maybe I can pull an S off.
Agreed-- I really wanted the S, especially the '07 with the 3.4 engine. The S has much more power, plus a better suspension and brakes.

I am really buying the car for handling, engine and open-top fun. Base price with NO options is $55,500. I felt I wanted the car to feel personal to me, so I added some cosmetic/exclusive programme options (meteor metalic paint ($690), crest in the headrest ($270) and painted center console to match exterior color ($730) and Cayman S wheels (a great deal-- only a $390 upgrade when you buy the S, as compared to $1,250 for the same wheels if you only buy the base 987) and painted center caps ($185).

I also included a couple of functional items-- windstop and heated seats.

I think Bose is useless in an open top 987. I have it in my Cayenne S and it sounds great, but you can hear little difference in the 987, esp. with the top down. Plus, I prefer to listen to the engine most of the time. As for Xenons, they are nice (have them in my Cayenne too), but not sure they are worth the extra money, so if you are looking to shave cost, it's a good place to start. If you notice, most dealers order the car with the so-called "Comfort Package" (or something like that). It groups together Bose, Xenons and climate control (a huge waste at $550), plus a few more also expensive and, to me, pretty useless items. By cutting this, and custom ordering only what you want "a la carte" you save $5000 or more...

And, you wind up with an 'S'-- better motor, suspension and 'S' standard options (e.g. red calipers, alum-trim on the interior, bigger wheels, better suspension and brakes).

I think it is a good value to get a brand new '07 S for $52K, after figuring the dealer discount (which was about 11% off MSRP).

In a separate thread from a week or so ago called "987 Ordered" I listed the exact specs and pricing of my 987 S.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:24 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

As a more non-partisan voice - The S2000 is a great car. It is also very well-priced, especially if you are willing to go back a few years. There was an engine change in 2004, and it made more torque and some suspension changes. You would still only be around 30k, even for a nearly new car (new cars? Why?)

There are a myriad of upgrading options from the aftermarket, from turbos to Superchargers, and a fully sorted aftermarket computer to plug in and get tuned by a professional to handle the extra parameters of boost.

You should drive one a little longer and see if that leg-steering is an issue. I am 6'3" and 235 or so, and I fit great. Daily driven. GREAT track car - current brakes are very good and cheap wear item costs if you really beat on it. Entire race built engines are 7k.

The community is a BIT young and punkish, but there are some cool heads and interesting people that track thier cars: www.s2ki.com
Old 10-10-2006, 10:26 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrendanC
I am 6'3" and 235 or so, and I fit great.
Can you pass the broomstick test with a helmet on?
Old 10-11-2006, 01:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,658 Likes on 2,326 Posts

you can buy brand new ones at invoice, if not lower.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Mad_Hun
AutoX

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
Can you pass the broomstick test with a helmet on?
Pardon my ignorance. What's the broomstick test?
Old 10-11-2006, 11:35 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

At many track events they will have you sit in your car with a helmet on and place a broomstick from the top of the windshield to the top of the rollbar. If the top of your helmet is higher than the bottom of the broomstick than you fail and most likely cannot participate.

It all depends on who's running the event. I know some organizations (Audi for example) who require a 2 inch gap between the top of the helmet and the bottom of the broomstick.

For a tall person, this test is very difficult to pass in a Boxster or S2000.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Mad_Hun
AutoX

At many track events they will have you sit in your car with a helmet on and place a broomstick from the top of the windshield to the top of the rollbar. If the top of your helmet is higher than the bottom of the broomstick than you fail and most likely cannot participate.

It all depends on who's running the event. I know some organizations (Audi for example) who require a 2 inch gap between the top of the helmet and the bottom of the broomstick.

This would definitely be a problem for me. I am sure that even without a helmet, my head is about level with the roll bar on the S2000. Not sure about the 987, I'll have to check.

Do you know if this applies to SCCA Solo auto-x events as well?
If it does, would it matter if I ran the SLK with the hardtop up?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:20 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Mad_Hun -
I don't know the rules of SCCA Solo. You should be able to check with your local chapter of SCCA though to find out.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:00 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

It would if the broomstick were first broken over my knee.

I think my helmet is about 2-3 inches OVER the roll bars behind me, and at least over the windshield brace.

SCCA allowed at AX in San Diego, as well as the other 5 S2000s that were there, and Lead Foot at SOW allowed it, with the ther 7 S2000s that were there.

I understand that safety of this issue. I am thinking of getting a roll bar, but it must not interfere with my safety in the car when I DO NOT have a helmet on, and it must not interfere with the top.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Bad Karma
5th Gear

I think you might be OK on interior space. I know someone else has expressed a different opinion on this, but I am 6’1” 205 lbs. I don’t have the seat all the way back and don’t feel cramped at all. I drive this car every day (and more than 8 miles each way to work). I bought the car in San Diego and drove it home to NJ over the course of a week – not a problem at all. When we got home, we wanted to drive back and do it again. My experience would lead me to recommend the Boxster to you, but you listed several good choices – I don’t think you can make a wrong decision here, although I would avoid the Honda. It is a great car, but I hear less civilized for a daily driver than the others (yet I must confess I have not driven one) and if owning a high-end sports car has been a dream of yours, you might get some additional enjoyment out of owning one of the German brands.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!
Old 10-17-2006, 02:31 AM
mach-hog
Intermediate

Go for the 987... very rigid, great looking, reliable, great brand... if fit is a challlenge you can probably get someone to customize a seat for you. I doubt the S2000 will stand the test of time in the manner a 987 will. Depends on how long you want to keep the car for I guess. I can't see the Merc being much of a track car compared to either of the former.

Quick Reply: Choosing between Boxster, SLK, Z4 & S2000